Private hire minivan Siem Reap to Bangkok

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Private hire minivan Siem Reap to Bangkok

Post by down_time »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:47 pm I only crossed Poipet border once (in 2012). I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. I remember the van getting stopped several times by Thai cops looking for illegal immigrants.
Haha thats the opposite of my first trip, I came the other way and we had stick ups by the Khmer army all the way, extorting money to pass. Plus dragging the small bus we were in with a truck/tractor through rivers that went straight through what passed as the main road. 11 hrs from Poipet to Siem Reap. Mental.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:47 pm All you need is your vaccination card and or take a testy at the border and hope its negative.
They don't test if you have your vaccine cards right?
Unless you look sick as hell and have a raging fever that is.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

down_time wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:16 am
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:47 pm All you need is your vaccination card and or take a testy at the border and hope its negative.
They don't test if you have your vaccine cards right?
Unless you look sick as hell and have a raging fever that is.
Yes, they don't test. They just check the vaccination docs, and even that can be hit and miss.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Update for anyone searching for relevant information at a later date:

About 2.5hrs to Poipet by minivan, mainly because the driver was concerned about police speed checks and stuck to the (sometimes 40km/h) speed limit the entire trip. Van was a basic 12? seater.

It's been years since I've been through Poipet and the infractructure has improved massively. It's now a modern departure (and I assume arrivals) hall matching the Thai side. Still have a trek of a walk from drop off to immigration though!

Porters to carry luggage across cost $15 USD per trolley/porter and whilst you can probably haggle this down I'm happy to pay the guys that as they obviously don't make a lot and they have quite a distance to lug it all, plus we had loads of bags/boxes, I think they earned it.

Khmer side Cambodian's go downstairs and foreign passport holders upstairs. One thing to note was how friendly the Cambodian immigration guys were. Maybe as I speak Khmer and have a type C visa but they were friendly, chatty and helpful, very pleasant change from the grumpy guys I'm used to encountering. No money was asked for for anything including from the Khmers for the Thai arrivals card, which before cost (obvs unofficially) 10,000 riel per person. Queue's were small maybe 5-10 mins at luchtime when we were there.

Vaccine certificates/cards were NOT needed to enter Thailand, we had them but were waved off by Thai immigration when we offered them.

Thai side minivan was much better, with 8 big leather reclining seats. Aranyaprathet to Bangkok was 5 hours with traffic jams from roadworks and the drivers dinner stop at 5pm on the dot. Trip was $190 plus porter charges organised through the lovely Sopheap Na travel in SR.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The TM6 arrivals card has been discontinued at the aiports, maybe not at land borders?
$15 per porter/cart. That caught my attention.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:31 pm $15 per porter/cart. That caught my attention.
Correction, $10 porter, $5 tip apparently.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

down_time wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:52 pm
Porters to carry luggage across cost $15 USD per trolley/porter and whilst you can probably haggle this down I'm happy to pay the guys that as they obviously don't make a lot and they have quite a distance to lug it all, plus we had loads of bags/boxes, I think they earned it.
Where I live 15$ is over two days worth of work. I'd say they are making quite a lot if they make 15 (or 10 + 5 tip) per track.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic