Cockroaches

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Cockroaches

Post by Gazzy »

We have an infestation of cockroaches in our kitchen. They are the small light brown ones, think they're called German roaches. Have used Raid spray in all the cupboards. Food isn't left around and the surfaces are cleaned daily. Still they return each night. Distressing. Appreciate any ideas.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Cockroaches

Post by Username Taken »

Scroll down. See 'Similar Topics'.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Quick search of Facebook for a drain cover or Mrdiy

Possibly search function of the site like the other fella said
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I got invaded by those little bastards in an apartment I lived in once. They were driving me crazy, when I got home at night and turned on the light about 20 would run for cover. What worked quite well was some roach poison I found - it was made by raid, the company that makes fly spray etc. Don't know if you can find it where you are but there's probably something similar.

How it works is they go into a small box with a chemical in it (think it's called boric acid), they get it on their dirty little roach feet and carry it back to their nest and spread it around there, killing all their dirty little roach friends and family.

It worked pretty well but I had to keep on top of them, make sure you replace the traps regularly. I also went under the sink in the kitchen and bathrooms and sealed the gaps where the water pipes came through the walls because I assumed they were nesting in the walls.

If you can't wipe them all out, or you're still getting the occasional roach scouting party, or you find they're regrouping and coming back get yourself a soft air pistol that shoots plastic BBs. Drinking beer and sniping roaches is great fun.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Baking soda and a little sugar. The extreme method is fumigation.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

The Raid Product can be found in Super Duper and Home Fix. It won't necessarily solve the problem, but might help.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Random Dude wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:59 pm

How it works is they go into a small box with a chemical in it (think it's called boric acid),
More likely it's Fipronil which isn't as harmless as boric acid.
Glue traps with a bait can be an effective way to catch the adult ones without using chemicals.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

truffledog wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:12 pm Baking soda and a little sugar. The extreme method is fumigation.

How do you apply it?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Gazzy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:12 am
truffledog wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:12 pm Baking soda and a little sugar. The extreme method is fumigation.

How do you apply it?
No offence Gazzy, but there is such a thing as Google:

https://www.hunker.com/12137594/how-to- ... aking-soda

I work in a hotel and we constantly battle with cockroaches. Above will work if the infestation is not too great. Otherwise, fumigation is the only way.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic