competent big bike mechanic in 2022 or parts supplier in Phnom Penh?

Have a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle you'd like to sell? List it here for free. Heck, you can even buy and sell tuktuks or your pink Scoopy here. Remember, you need a driver's license in Cambodia for cars, trucks, and any motorbike that's over 125cc. And always wear a helmet!
Ian
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: competent big bike mechanic in 2022 or parts supplier in Phnom Penh?

Post by Ian »

Cheers for the replies fellas. A few good leads there for me to chase up. I will update if I have any good luck.
Ian
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by Ian »

I just found this post again and noticed i said i would update on my luck or otherwise (one year on)

Bottom line was I decided to do all my maintenance myself and updated my bike parking to semi-makeshift workshop. it started with a lockable (to keep the nephews out) $40 plastic wardrobe with a bunch of drawers. A fake marble topped BBQ table from sister in laws failed restraunt and some beefed up security gates and bunnings (AU) bolt lock that can only be removed with 20 mins of angle grinding.

After several false starts i went back to Russian market after a 7 year absence. The best shop was was on a the side street and closest to 163 street owned by a lady in her 40s who ended up being very helpful. I just showed her google images of what i wanted and she would in most cases find it. Wheel bearings (chinese but no escaping that), full socket sets and individual sockets way up to industrial size and even a good sized torque wrench. I ended up doing mutiple visits and got pretty much every thing i needed from that area including odd bolts ,washers etc. The new Mr. DIY stores (although crap chinese stuff) has a lot of stuff to get you out of trouble (one outlet in sorya shopping mall and another on hwy 5 near the burger king).

Anyway ended up doing everything from carby rebuild to all frame bearings, wheel bearings, front and rear suspension, seat refurb, clutch hub, basket and plates etc, chain , sprockets and a bunch of other stuff. All parts i bought online and had posted to cambodia, everything arrived but tax on anything bulky attracts scrutiny and 40% tax no matter if its in a barang name or a khmer name. Stuff from USA arrived much quicker than stuff from Aust.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Ian wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:55 am I just found this post again and noticed i said i would update on my luck or otherwise (one year on)

Bottom line was I decided to do all my maintenance myself and updated my bike parking to semi-makeshift workshop. it started with a lockable (to keep the nephews out) $40 plastic wardrobe with a bunch of drawers. A fake marble topped BBQ table from sister in laws failed restraunt and some beefed up security gates and bunnings (AU) bolt lock that can only be removed with 20 mins of angle grinding.

After several false starts i went back to Russian market after a 7 year absence. The best shop was was on a the side street and closest to 163 street owned by a lady in her 40s who ended up being very helpful. I just showed her google images of what i wanted and she would in most cases find it. Wheel bearings (chinese but no escaping that), full socket sets and individual sockets way up to industrial size and even a good sized torque wrench. I ended up doing mutiple visits and got pretty much every thing i needed from that area including odd bolts ,washers etc. The new Mr. DIY stores (although crap chinese stuff) has a lot of stuff to get you out of trouble (one outlet in sorya shopping mall and another on hwy 5 near the burger king).

Anyway ended up doing everything from carby rebuild to all frame bearings, wheel bearings, front and rear suspension, seat refurb, clutch hub, basket and plates etc, chain , sprockets and a bunch of other stuff. All parts i bought online and had posted to cambodia, everything arrived but tax on anything bulky attracts scrutiny and 40% tax no matter if its in a barang name or a khmer name. Stuff from USA arrived much quicker than stuff from Aust.
No need to use Chinese bearings. Visit Phnom Penh Bearings on Kampuchea Krom next time you need
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic