The Airport of Smiles - BBC Documentary

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

The Airport of Smiles - BBC Documentary

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

New series from the BBC on Bangkok Airport daily operations focussing on particularly happy smiley staff dealing with hapless doofus British tourists. Non Brits can have a good laugh at us, unfortunately a slightly cliched Scottish oil worker getting beered up pre flight.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
BawBawFett
Expatriate

Re: The Airport of Smiles - BBC Documentary

Post by BawBawFett »

I caught the end of it last night. That one lad ( Scottish, i think) dressed head to toe in Thai flag coloured gear had me banging my head against the wall. Seems like Thailand really has turned into the new Magaluf.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Big Swampy, what a joke of an airport. A year ago I was meeting a friend flying in from America. I couldn't even get close to the arrival gate as the whole center of that floor was closed off with unsmiling guards and you had to go to another level to get to each end. Also the hotels pay tea-money/bribes, to be able to stand in front of the exit gate/doors so if your meeting friends they can't see you. Lucky we made arrangements if we missed at the gate to meet downstairs at the bus/travel desks where btw the cheap food is also.

What about the government cover-up of the cracking runways and officials/friends owning/selling the land big Swampy is on. What about the big scam on tourist by the King Group. Arresting unsuspecting tourists for shoplifting, frog-marched off by police that just happen to be close and a bribe(s) paid to get out of jail and the country. Such a wonderful airport NOT! Now Singapore, that's an airport with class. Yes. Land of Smiles, Not any more! They are smiling because they have both hands in your pocket.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

What I thought was funny in the documentary Sailorman was the passengers reaction at immigration when the friendly officer was trying to make polite conversation as to why they were on holiday. He asked " Why do you come to Thailand ", you could see their alarm and I think they assumed they were going to get a grilling or have their visa refused. Pissed myself laughing when the information counter lady described the British as " arrogant and snobbish ". The Ministry of Tourism will have loved that welcoming remark.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic