Breaking work contract pt 2 at ELT Institute

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Breaking work contract pt 2 at ELT Institute

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:16 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:22 pm You can't expect an employer to cough up serious money for paperwork you can use elsewhere too and then run off after a week because it suits you and the place is a disorganized shit hole in your opinion. Apparently they're well enough organized to arrange the paperwork for their employees in time.
I wouldn’t advise being too assertive in defence of ELT. They may appear to have some of their shit together, but not necessarily where it counts.
I don't defense ELT in any way when it comes to education, I blame the OP for coming up with half of the story asking for advice and then coming up with a big change when the heat in the kitchen has gone up. I simply concluded they arrange their paperwork for their employees in the correct way, which is something some other schools won't do that well / easy / fast.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by BleedingBlue »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:45 pm
BleedingBlue wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:29 pm Well you're pleasant.
I stated we are willing to pay back the fees regarding the visa and permit because that is what is in Cambodian law, that the employer is entitled to damages incurred. Fine.
Our issue is with the clause regarding paying them a month's salary back.
I got my own job/visa sorted thanks but glad you are so interested!
- Apologies for my tone. Currently running worst case scenarios through my head.
No, I'm not pleasant and you guess why? You come here for advice with 50% of the story. Some people read it, gave it a thought, and then provided you with an answer. You simply wasted their time, including mine.
Now, about a week later, when the temperature has gone up to a level you begin to sweat, you come up with the other half of the story complaining how you worry about it all.
As far as I'm concerned you wasted your chance to get an advice from people with experience in this business and the two of yousolve it by yourself.
This whole time I've been concerned about paying a month's salary to ELT but I don't think it holds as she left during the probation period.
Never said we we wouldn't pay the visa / permit fees.
So sorry I wasted a few precious minutes of your mundane life that you feel the need to become emotionally charged. Have a good night.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BleedingBlue wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:07 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:45 pm
BleedingBlue wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:29 pm Well you're pleasant.
I stated we are willing to pay back the fees regarding the visa and permit because that is what is in Cambodian law, that the employer is entitled to damages incurred. Fine.
Our issue is with the clause regarding paying them a month's salary back.
I got my own job/visa sorted thanks but glad you are so interested!
- Apologies for my tone. Currently running worst case scenarios through my head.
No, I'm not pleasant and you guess why? You come here for advice with 50% of the story. Some people read it, gave it a thought, and then provided you with an answer. You simply wasted their time, including mine.
Now, about a week later, when the temperature has gone up to a level you begin to sweat, you come up with the other half of the story complaining how you worry about it all.
As far as I'm concerned you wasted your chance to get an advice from people with experience in this business and the two of yousolve it by yourself.
This whole time I've been concerned about paying a month's salary to ELT but I don't think it holds as she left during the probation period.
Never said we we wouldn't pay the visa / permit fees.
So sorry I wasted a few precious minutes of your mundane life that you feel the need to become emotionally charged. Have a good night.
Maybe I've been to harsh, sorry for that. I still think it's a game changer because once the school has made a serious (monetary) investment in new staff it's bad manners, and probably illegal, to quit after a week because one didn't like the place without compensating the employer, or at least agreeing on the terms of the compensation. Good manners, and a more solid legal position for your partner, would have been to pay back the work permit and visa before quitting, or at least agree on the terms. I'm afraid the employer has a point here and your partner might still have obligations, even though quitting in the probation period, as long as this hasn't been settled.

If you would have mentioned this in your initial post I'm pretty sure you would have received different replies.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Where I currently live contracts for all levels of staff say only one week’s notice is required in first year of employment, 2 weeks after that. This is common across most businesses. Very different to my experience in the UK - and foolish in my opinion.
Just saying that a week’s notice isn’t bad manners.
And probation periods commonly allow you to go with a week’s notice - even if you have only been there a week - no notice given in this case though
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

BleedingBlue wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:56 pm
IraHayes wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:54 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:45 pm But, as they paid prob almost $400 to sort wp and stuff it changes things a little
Indeed, pay for the wp + visa and put the 1 weeks work you did down to experience. Also, since your new school is aware of the situation the inferred threat of informing them will land on deaf ears by the sounds of things. Have you sought their advice btw? They might be your greatest ally in all this.
Yeah every message we get from ELT, I'm forwarding to our HR but they're somewhat reluctant to get too involved but are offering advice.
Just don't want ELT to put their hands in their pockets to take this further.
To be quite blunt, if I was your new employer and you kept bringing me crap from your previous employer, I would question your problem solving skills and fire you.

I'd expect you to settle this promptly and be done with it, even if that comes at a painful expense to you.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

You're fucking yourself here by naming the school. CEO is blasting this on FB and I'm sure by now several English speaking Khmers in educational positions have gotten the word out to ELT, at this point you will have to pay them back or your fat lady will sing.

Good job buddy
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

BleedingBlue wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:56 pm
Yeah every message we get from ELT, I'm forwarding to our HR but they're somewhat reluctant to get too involved but are offering advice.
Just don't want ELT to put their hands in their pockets to take this further.
This is so unprofessional, I'd be keeping my new employer out of my old employer's business as much as I possibly could - but to try and involve the new school in the drama is just career suicide.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic