Bus of Foreigners Inspected After Woman Gets Beaten

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
mania2301
Tourist
Malaysia

Re: Bus of Foreigners Inspected After Woman Gets Beaten

Post by mania2301 »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:54 am
mania2301 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:46 pm
Username Taken wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:43 pm Point of order CEO News.
In Khmer language, we expats are barang, barang are foreigners.
In Khmer language, Chinese and Vietnamese are not barang.

Could we stop referring to Chinese criminals, Chinese car crashes, etc. as foreigners. It's wrong and misleading.

On the other hand, if we're doing it for click-bait, then carry on. As you were.
Anyone who are not a cambodian & staying in Cambodia are considered foreigner....what makes you think that only caucasians are considered foreigners??
Don't the words barang and farang specifically refer to Westerners/whites?
Well....there is no mention of any barang (khmer) or farang (thai) in the news, except for foreigners. Been working & living in cambodia 20 years+++....been called a foreigner or by the name of my country of origin or labelled as expats by the company I work for. A healthy discussion like this is nice...always something new to learn. Foreigners or not we do love it here. Cheers.

Dictionary states the foreigners are :

foreigner
/ˈfɒrɪnə/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a person born in or coming from a country other than one's own.
INFORMAL•BRITISH
a piece of work done for private gain without an employer's permission or without declaration to the relevant authorities.

or

Who is called foreigner today?
Definitions of foreigner. a person who comes from a foreign country; someone who does not owe allegiance to your country. synonyms: alien, noncitizen, outlander. Antonyms: citizen. a native or naturalized member of a state or other political community.

Foreigner - Definition, Meaning & Synonyms - Vocabulary.com
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

mania2301 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:02 am Dictionary states the foreigners are :

foreigner
/ˈfɒrɪnə/
Learn to pronounce
noun
INFORMAL•BRITISH
a piece of work done for private gain without an employer's permission or without declaration to the relevant authorities.

or

Definitions of foreigner. a person who comes from a foreign country; someone who does not owe allegiance to your country. synonyms: alien, noncitizen, outlander. Antonyms: citizen. a native or naturalized member of a state or other political community.

Yes, I have a dictionary. I was thinking of the denotative and connotative differences.

My understanding of the word farang in Thai is that it means Westerners/whites, but can be applied to all non-Thai foreigners. Historical side note: that Thai word apparently comes from the Arabic word farangi, a reference to the Franks. Japanese, on the other hand, uses the word gaijin (short for gaikokujin) to literally mean all non-Japanese, but in general usage means Westerners/whites.

Don't mean to go OT, just got me curious.
mania2301
Tourist
Malaysia

Post by mania2301 »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:42 am
mania2301 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:02 am Dictionary states the foreigners are :

foreigner
/ˈfɒrɪnə/
Learn to pronounce
noun
INFORMAL•BRITISH

or

Yes, I have a dictionary. I was thinking of the denotative and connotative differences.

My understanding of the word farang in Thai is that it means Westerners/whites, but can be applied to all non-Thai foreigners. Historical side note: that Thai word apparently comes from the Arabic word farangi, a reference to the Franks. Japanese, on the other hand, uses the word gaijin (short for gaikokujin) to literally mean all non-Japanese, but in general usage means Westerners/whites.

Don't mean to go OT, just got me curious.
It's good to have a matured discussion on any topics....no matter how old we are, there is always something new to learn. Cheers
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:42 am My understanding of the word farang in Thai is that it means Westerners/whites, but can be applied to all non-Thai foreigners.
I've never heard any Thai use "farang" for foreign Asians. They're usually referred to by nationality.

The only inconsistency I've come across is using the term farang when referring to African Americans. Some Thais do and others don't.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Alex wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:27 am
Big Daikon wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:42 am My understanding of the word farang in Thai is that it means Westerners/whites, but can be applied to all non-Thai foreigners.
I've never heard any Thai use "farang" for foreign Asians. They're usually referred to by nationality.

The only inconsistency I've come across is using the term farang when referring to African Americans. Some Thais do and others don't.
Ok, that is more consistent.
Thanks for the info. Quite interesting.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

All barang are foreigners, but not all foreigners are barang. Yet it would be so easy to generalise. It feels as though the Chinese are more frequently negatively described as foreigners, while also making negative headlines on a regular basis. The negative perception of foreigners is something I’d prefer to avoid being associated with.
Garyatthepub
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Garyatthepub »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:20 pm All barang are foreigners, but not all foreigners are barang. Yet it would be so easy to generalise. It feels as though the Chinese are more frequently negatively described as foreigners, while also making negative headlines on a regular basis. The negative perception of foreigners is something I’d prefer to avoid being associated with.
New foreigner, or expat or temporary fella. I starting to get the idea of what the difference is, I just want to be sure. Sorry, new here, just reading and trying to follow. I'm white so I assume that I'm barang. Is it the Khmer people who refer to asian foreigners different or do "we" as expats also follow this language. Again, sorry for butting in, just curious.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I went to the ministry of internal affairs, presented by passport, and said I was an American. Officials said, no, your are Chinese and must register as such.

It’s all in the eye of the beholder. Or in this case, the Khmer news writer.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

its the fucking Khmer times again, Government should really jump on their reporting, its damaging the kingdom for Foreigner's

Headlines
Foreigner murdered at Otres beach
Khmer Times

than.
.....Preliminary reports from Preah Sihanouk Provincial authorities say that a the body of a Chinese man was was dumped from a car at 1 am on August 9, 2022 at Otres Beach in front of Hotel 520 in Village 6, Sangkat 4, Sihanoukville.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501128836/ ... ikHgqVEc3U
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:11 am its the fucking Khmer times again, Government should really jump on their reporting, its damaging the kingdom for Foreigner's

Headlines
Foreigner murdered at Otres beach
Khmer Times

than.
.....Preliminary reports from Preah Sihanouk Provincial authorities say that a the body of a Chinese man was was dumped from a car at 1 am on August 9, 2022 at Otres Beach in front of Hotel 520 in Village 6, Sangkat 4, Sihanoukville.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501128836/ ... ikHgqVEc3U
and karma does exist::
4 men, who murdered a foreign national at Otres beach early this morning, were themselves involved in a car crash after they fled the scene – resulting in 2 of them being killed as they were being apprehended by police.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501128906/ ... xPyI282cn0

why do they keep saying Foreign national instead of Chinese?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic