Breaking work contract

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Breaking work contract

Post by Brody »

BleedingBlue wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:30 pm
IraHayes wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:22 pm And where did she move to if you don’t mind me asking?
one of the accredited international schools
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Brody wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:02 pm
BleedingBlue wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:30 pm
IraHayes wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:22 pm And where did she move to if you don’t mind me asking?
one of the accredited international schools
You may be regretting that post if he decides to tell you where his partner and he went ;)
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:04 pm You may be regretting that post if he decides to tell you where his partner and he went ;)
Maybe.

OP states that she worked at ELT for a "week", decided it was a "shit show" and then secured better employment. That's a pretty quick turn around and hiring process if we're talking ISPP or any of the other stellar, accredited international schools in Cambodia :roll:
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Brody wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:03 am
IraHayes wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:04 pm You may be regretting that post if he decides to tell you where his partner and he went ;)
Maybe.

OP states that she worked at ELT for a "week", decided it was a "shit show" and then secured better employment. That's a pretty quick turn around and hiring process if we're talking ISPP or any of the other stellar, accredited international schools in Cambodia :roll:
Keep digging.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

I taught labor law here several years ago, and one thing I learned is that connections trump the written law....
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

BleedingBlue wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:42 pm
My partner started at a school on Monday and after experiencing the shitshow that it is, decided to leave. She has secured a new job at a reputable school here.

Thanks
That has got to be one of the funniest fucking things I have ever read!! Thanks for lightening my mood.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

wolfcreek wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:43 pm I taught labor law here several years ago, and one thing I learned is that connections trump the written law....
I've spent the past several years working at large corporations here; labour law is generally very strongly enforced; workers have more rights that in many EU countries - as long as they have a contract and a tax number
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

The Judge wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:59 pm
My partner started at a school on Monday and after experiencing the shitshow that it is, decided to leave. She has secured a new job at a reputable school here.

Thanks
That has got to be one of the funniest fucking things I have ever read!! Thanks for lightening my mood.
Another poster digging themselves into a hole I see.

Do you know where the lady and her partner (the OP) went? No you don’t. And until you bother to ask him or he posts here to let you know you are just jumping to an assumption based on your limited appreciation of some peoples skills.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:44 pm

Thanks
just jumping to an assumption based on your limited appreciation of some peoples skills.
I don't think he was denigrating her personally or her "skills".

He was merely engaging in badinage surrounding the trope of Cambodian international schools being regarded as shite, generally.

It's a tired trope, but one not entirely without merit.

Ira Hayes, you seem particularly excitable with regard to this topic. It's understandable to be defensive when someone pokes fun at your chosen profession.

But rest assured, tefl jobbing is still regarded as a stalwart career, in some circles.

Whilst we're at it Ira Hayes, you might as well delete the PM that you sent me, as it will remain in your outbox for eternity, seeing as I have no inclination to open/read it and engage with you offline. :thumb:
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Brody wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:12 am
IraHayes wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:44 pm

Thanks
just jumping to an assumption based on your limited appreciation of some peoples skills.
I don't think he was denigrating her personally or her "skills".

He was merely engaging in badinage surrounding the trope of Cambodian international schools being regarded as shite, generally.

It's a tired trope, but one not entirely without merit.

Ira Hayes, you seem particularly excitable with regard to this topic. It's understandable to be defensive when someone pokes fun at your chosen profession.

But rest assured, tefl jobbing is still regarded as a stalwart career, in some circles.

Whilst we're at it Ira Hayes, you might as well delete the PM that you sent me, as it will remain in your outbox for eternity, seeing as I have no inclination to open/read it and engage with you offline. :thumb:
The pm was actually just to say i was just having a bit of fun and that i actually enjoy most of your posts.

But back to topic.
A lot of schools have or are "upping their game" and the days of the "chancer" or tattooed monkey are coming to an end.
My reasons for posting in the thread, and replying to you in particular is because i know people at both schools concerned. The one the OP gf started at and where she ended up.

But no harm no foul eh
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic