Expatriate
Thailand

Rotating Detonation Engine - Propulsion Game Changer Breakthrough

Post by yong »

Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Rotating Detonation Engine - Propulsion Game Changer Breakthrough

Post by Random Dude »

Nukes were supposed to be the new tech that could change the game too. All that really happened though was it upped the stakes in the arms race and made the world a much more dangerous place.

I suppose if you're a general it's good to have a superior new weapon, but I wish the people inventing military tech would put their brilliant minds towards inventing something like a clean energy source and solve a real problem.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There’s a sad reality that military uses and wars do provide funding for a lot of innovation. There is also the fact that other applications frequently benefit.
The space race was pushed along post war, but gains in technology and understanding of human nature are just an overview of the lasting benefits.

Sometimes, the harder thing is to keep benefiting, rather than letting other agendas pervert those gains.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I don't know that this is really a game changer.. Sure, looks like a big improvement within existing chemical propulsion technology but a real game changer, I would have thought, is fission/nuclear propulsion.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

$722,000,000,000 annual defence budget of the USA lol

That's roughly $2155 per living US citizen per year and it's just the official number

Nanobot warfare, literal fucking javelin can opener missiles killing poor fucks in africa and the middle east remotely, there's tech in arms that even fairly savvy folk would be absolutely shocked by and, again, that's just the stuff that isn't highly classified.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

We're getting real good at empowering idiots with the power to destroy civilisations over lunch.

Hope Murphy's law is just fake news.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Geez, what a bunch of doom and gloom bar stool prophets.

When this tech trickles down it means cheaper costs to fly long haul aircraft, possibly faster air travel as well as longer, cheaper cruises. Wouldn’t it be nice to reach the Kingdom of Wonder in a shorter amount of time and for less money than it costs now?

Every since World War 2, nuclear weapons are a complete game changer. During the Cold War, all the war vets remembered what total war looked like and made sure it never happened. When was the last time near peers fought wars to total conquest? Take the threat of mutual destruction away and the world starts looking like endless near peers wars, not just Russia and Ukraine.

Any country who looks down on military technology does so at their own peril. I’m sure the Aztecs (and other natives) would have loved to have guns and plate armor when they met the Spaniards. The Tokugawa were overthrown and the emperor came to power because of American military ships. Wishing not to have military technology (as well as laying down all your country’s arms to ensure so) is a great way of ensuring non-existence.

The US military budget pales in comparison to what is spent on social welfare. And for that price, world trade through the rule of law has been enforced. No one bothers to follow rules unless it is back up with force. The Mercantile world of the British Empire and earlier days was no where as nice as it is now.

These are my opinions.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I got 4 minutes in and learned absolutely nothing about RDE and couldn't stand the sound of his undulating voice anymore.

I'm going for a beer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic