Newbie on site and (soon) in country

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Newbie on site and (soon) in country

Post by Freightdog »

I’m guessing similar. It would all come down to how well they connect the dots.
Stupidly, or otherwise, some places in the world treat the two passports as being two entirely different people! Despite the fact that they are clearly about the same person.
Which is usually a pain in the neck, but might be useful to exploit for my own benefit for once.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:11 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:31 pm @PSD-Kiwi

That's quite a difference for a retirement visa from the $180 official fee to the agents usual $300 fee.

Do the DoI office make life hard when applying in person because they want to deal with agents so they get a share of the profits?

If someone is over 55 and has a soon to expire EB EOS and wants to extend to a ER visa, is it a big deal/major pain in the ass going to the DoI and doing it yourself?
Yes, the DoI are very strict on the supporting documentation requirements for those who apply for their Extension of Stay application directly at the Visa office, they will always try and redirect applicants to use an agent as that's their hustle, agents actually make very little profit from facilitating EOS applications.
If someone doesn't have any intention to (ever) work in Cambodia, but doesn't meet the official ER requirements yet (age, proof of pension), can an agent help to obtain an ER EoS without supporting documents, or is the only option to obtain an EB EoS with "work documentation helpfully provided by the agent"?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:17 pm I’m guessing similar. It would all come down to how well they connect the dots.
Stupidly, or otherwise, some places in the world treat the two passports as being two entirely different people! Despite the fact that they are clearly about the same person.
Which is usually a pain in the neck, but might be useful to exploit for my own benefit for once.
Their systems are pretty sophisticated, but dual passports with different citizen numbers are too difficult for them I think when they just doing a quick check for a visa on arrival or an extension.
Most systems would use your citizen number (if any) or passport number icw your nationality as the denominator because that combination is unique and you would want every line in your database to have a unique denominator.

They could do a search by using other data like name or dob, but only in special cases.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Alex wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:46 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:11 pm

That's quite a difference for a retirement visa from the $180 official fee to the agents usual $300 fee.

Do the DoI office make life hard when applying in person because they want to deal with agents so they get a share of the profits?

If someone is over 55 and has a soon to expire EB EOS and wants to extend to a ER visa, is it a big deal/major pain in the ass going to the DoI and doing it yourself?
Yes, the DoI are very strict on the supporting documentation requirements for those who apply for their Extension of Stay application directly at the Visa office, they will always try and redirect applicants to use an agent as that's their hustle, agents actually make very little profit from facilitating EOS applications.
If someone doesn't have any intention to (ever) work in Cambodia, but doesn't meet the official ER requirements yet (age, proof of pension), can an agent help to obtain an ER EoS without supporting documents, or is the only option to obtain an EB EoS with "work documentation helpfully provided by the agent"?
Some have successfully done it, but I was turned down about 4 years ago (age 45). Started @ the DoI and then an agent. maybe my name has been on the blackboard @DoI at that time and I should re-apply?
Anyway, no need now because instead I got legally married.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

--------------------

The first year they had retirement visa I went out to their office across from the airport in PP because I was having trouble convincing an agent to submit the application for me (I was under the age of 55). They confirmed I had everything in order and could apply for the visa but wouldn't take the application from me - guy actually gave me his mobile number and said to go back to an agent and have them call him and they would process the application. So in my experience they sure didn't seem to want to accept a direct application even after confirming I had everything in order.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:27 pm I’m curious, though. If I took an Retirement visa in my British passport, would I still be able to buck the system by using my Irish passport if job opportunities present in Cambodia?
Yep, you would just need to leave the country, then return on your Irish passport and an E-type Visa.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Alex wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:46 pm If someone doesn't have any intention to (ever) work in Cambodia, but doesn't meet the official ER requirements yet (age, proof of pension), can an agent help to obtain an ER EoS without supporting documents, or is the only option to obtain an EB EoS with "work documentation helpfully provided by the agent"?
Through an agency it is possible, a Stat Dec explaining that you retired, do not work and do not intend to work in Cambodia, and proof of sufficient funds is usually enough if under 55 and applying for ER via an agent. Although haven't heard many recent reports from those who have done it, so not sure what the current stance is on this. Prior to COVID and even during it was possible. If you DO have the necessary supporting documentation and are under 55, then no problems directly at the DoI Visa office, have had several recent reports confirming.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:16 pm 1. Enter the country on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa, $35 on arrival, valid for 1 month.

2. Prior to your Visa expiry date, go to a Visa agency and apply for an ER (Retirement) Extension of Stay (EOS).
1, 3, 6, 12 month options available, only 6 & 12 month options valid for multi-entry/exit.

For the ER EOS you will need to provide;
- Your passport, minimum 6 months validity from the intended EOS expiry date, minimum 2 blank visa pages,
- 1x Passport sized picture,
- FPCS Screenshot,
- Complete an EOS application form (most agents will do this for you),
- Letter requesting ER EOS (Most agents will do this for you),
- If aged 55+, no retirement related supporting documentation required,
- If under 55, then you need to provide official proof of retirement/pension status, and proof of sufficient funds/income

Costs if applying via a Visa agency (price depends on agency and location);
- 1 mth EOS = $45 - 55
- 3 mth EOS = $70 - 90
- 6 mth EOS = $150 - 170
- 12 mth EOS = $270 - 300

Thanks much for this detailed and clear information.

What happens when your EOS expires? Can you just get another one for approximately the same cost without leaving the country?

Also, you can you vary the length, for example start with a 3-month extension and then change to a one-year?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

"What happens when your EOS expires? Can you just get another one for approximately the same cost without leaving the country?
"
as long as you keep getting new extensions, you never need leave
and even if you dont renew, its only $10 /day over stay LOL
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

sigmoid wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:46 pm What happens when your EOS expires? Can you just get another one for approximately the same cost without leaving the country?

Also, you can you vary the length, for example start with a 3-month extension and then change to a one-year?
You just apply for a new EOS within 1 month of your current one expiring, no need to leave the country. Yes, you can start with a 3 month EOS, then if you decide to stay longer apply for a 6 or 12 mth EOS, just be aware that 1 & 3 mth EOS's are single entry only, so if you leave the country it is cancelled and you need to start fresh when you return.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic