Alastair Little RIP

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Alastair Little RIP

Post by armchairlawyer »

Little had a nice restaurant in Frith Street, Soho, London in the 1990s. Great chef without all the pretentious add-ons.

He moved to Australia and upset the natives by commenting thus:

In ana article amed Grumble Down Under, Little declared that “The availability to me here and now in Sydney of truly top-quality fruit, vegetables, poultry and seafood is not even comparable to London back when I was opening my Frith Street restaurant in 1985.” Furthermore, “There is no game, as I understand it, to be had. No flat fish except flaccid flounders and farmed turbot. No bacon worth eating. Unsmoked gammon does not exist here. Offal is virtually non-existent. Easily available fresh fruit and vegetables are at best British supermarket standard . . . There are virtually no wild mushrooms. Australians seem to live on beef, oysters, prawns, Thai takeaway and Brussel sprouts, all accompanied by enormous piles of splendid looking but sadly bland salads.”