how many stayed at the Atlanta?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

how many stayed at the Atlanta?

Post by phuketrichard »

:thumb: :thumb:

The Atlanta in Bangkok invites long time clients to stay F.O.C. for up to three weeks if you had stayed there more than 40 years ago! I didn't, my 1st stay was 83
From the mid-seventies to the mid-nineties my favourite hotel in Bangkok was the Atlanta on Sukhumvit Soi 2. It was there that I made an acquaintance that would have a significant impact on my life: Dr. Max Henn! That man was truly a character! He had to watch helplessly as his beloved Atlanta Hotel (once the number two hotel in Bangkok, second only to the Oriental, so he claimed) descended into a hippie dump. The somewhat obscure elderly gentleman was already in his seventies when we met and he viewed the hippies with deep distrust. Especially, as they didn’t buy his overpriced trips. But he had taken me to his heart, old Henn.

Note they dont take kindly to "sex tourists"
The Atlanta is run on conservative principles and fosters traditional values.
The Atlanta does not hesitate to refuse rooms to persons unsuited to the prevailing ethos of The Atlanta – even if they have a confirmed reservation.

1/ The Atlanta does not welcome SEX TOURISTS, and does not try to be polite about it. Borderline cases are not given the benefit of the doubt, but are treated as sex tourists.

Those who are borderline cases should stay elsewhere.

Guests who attempt to bring in bar girls, catamites and their like will be told in plain language to settle their bills and leave. Remaining on the premises after being told to leave will be treated as a police matter.

The Atlanta does not ask for or listen to explanations or excuses, and does not apologise for the manner in which miscreants are thrown out.

The Atlanta also does not apologise for any mistakes it may be accused of having made with regard to the identification of sex tourists.

To keep The Atlanta private, secure, wholesome and sleaze-free for the kind of guests we welcome, room guests are not permitted to take visitors / outsiders upstairs into the building and their rooms, or into the garden and pool area

https://bruniversum.com/en/the-atlanta- ... R8yJF-YFa4
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: how many stayed at the Atlanta?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Only for people who were guests over 40 years ago?

Most would be dead by now

And any surviving probably wouldn't be able to stay because they don't allow hookers inside
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:28 pm Only for people who were guests over 40 years ago?

And any surviving probably wouldn't be able to stay because they don't allow hookers inside
Surely you aren’t implying that all older guests are a bunch of…? :stir:
we Remember
So Their sacrifice is never forgotten
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:56 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:28 pm Only for people who were guests over 40 years ago?

Surely you aren’t implying that all older guests are a bunch of…? :stir:
No, not at all.

Just most of the ones who have been visiting Bangkok religiously for 50 plus years
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Each to their own, but I'd never stay at a hotel that doesn't allow hookers in. Even if and when I don't plan to avail of their services myself - which does happen.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I stayed there once in 82, BUT as i enjoy female companionship lots back than, all my later visits i was at the Crown on soi 6/8

FYI
1st visit in 75 i stayed at the Old Malaysia hotel
had quite a history;
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/art ... sia-hotel/

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:50 pm I stayed there once in 82, BUT as i enjoy female companionship lots back than, all my later visits i was at the Crown on soi 6/8

FYI
1st visit in 75 i stayed at the Old Malaysia hotel
had quite a history;
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/art ... sia-hotel/

Stayed at the Malaysia (my first hotel ever in ASIA) and the Atlanta in 1987. Never returned to the Malaysia but stayed at the Atlanta Hotel (well advertised from the first edition of the yellow bible) quite a few times. Last time probably around 2000. Remember the nice garden and the small pool as well as the fantastic restaurant with a menu thick like an encyclopedie. The rooms were so so (never really clean) but the position at the end of the soi made it a quiet place to sleep.

The last tíme I stayed there a shoting took place in middle of the soi and some thai dudes got shot. Never went back thereafter. Better safe than sorry.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Thought this said "in Atlanta" and it really made me panic without reading, never go to actual Atlanta.

I'm sure this place is amazing though, especially from the rules they're listing, a real Ritz
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic