Free Angkor Temple Visits

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Free Angkor Temple Visits

Post by timmydownawell »

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:41 am
hanno wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:30 am They cracked down on that years ago. You cannot get in now without a ticket, even if you tell them you will stay on the roads. My house is past the old ticket gate and I got stopped every time when I was back in SR a couple of weeks ago.
This is correct. The ticket police will flag down foreigners trying to enter the zone without a ticket. It's a shame because it's beautiful in there and I'd just like to ride my bike around the roads, without even entering any of the temples.

Choices:

1. Brown face; or
2. Go before 5am.
3. Know the paths that go into the area without passing the checkpoints ;-)
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I visited on a Saturday in late June. We were the only customers at the enormous ticket office area. The temples, however, were packed, especially Angkor Wat. Khmers of course. It was charming. Many of them had hired traditional dress to go around in. I did frown at one kid who was zapping people in Angkor Wat with his toy machine gun.
Yes, you can get 2 days for the price of one. But they must be consecutive days.
Also, as you enter the main area, a guy scans your ticket for forgeries.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

hanno wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:58 am
timmydownawell wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:41 am
hanno wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:30 am They cracked down on that years ago. You cannot get in now without a ticket, even if you tell them you will stay on the roads. My house is past the old ticket gate and I got stopped every time when I was back in SR a couple of weeks ago.
This is correct. The ticket police will flag down foreigners trying to enter the zone without a ticket. It's a shame because it's beautiful in there and I'd just like to ride my bike around the roads, without even entering any of the temples.

Choices:

1. Brown face; or
2. Go before 5am.
3. Know the paths that go into the area without passing the checkpoints ;-)
Oh yes, I had thought of that but those tracks are too muddy for my bike.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:00 pm I visited on a Saturday in late June. We were the only customers at the enormous ticket office area. The temples, however, were packed, especially Angkor Wat. Khmers of course. It was charming. Many of them had hired traditional dress to go around in. I did frown at one kid who was zapping people in Angkor Wat with his toy machine gun.
Yes, you can get 2 days for the price of one. But they must be consecutive days.
Also, as you enter the main area, a guy scans your ticket for forgeries.
The latest promotion says you now have five days to use your two day pass, so that's better.

Meanwhile, as per the article I posted above, the Ministry of Information has confirmed that expats with two years' residency will get free access, so that's great. Just need the Angkor authorities to catch up.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Coming "soon"...

August 5, 2022
Gov’t mulling free entry to Angkor Park for expats
Tith Kongnov / Khmer Times
Free entry to Angkor Archaeological Park is on the table for foreigners who have lived and worked in Cambodia for two years or more, the government announced on Wednesday.

Prime Minister HE decided to allow free entry for long-term foreign residents as it will boost domestic tourism and in turn encourage international tourists to visit the world-famous temple.

Normally, foreigners visiting the Park are hit with a hefty entrance fee of $37 for one day, $62 for three days and $72 for seven days.

Top Sopheak, spokesman for the Ministry of Tourism, said yesterday that while this is the government’s policy, the free-entry plan has not been implemented yet as officials are finalising the details.

“I think the government’s decision to allow foreign residents to visit the Angkor Wat area for free will be implemented in the near future.

“We are now discussing how to implement the plan,” he said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501125866/ ... or-expats/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:17 am
timmydownawell wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:20 am
Username Taken wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:04 am Just need someone on the ground in Siem Reap to go and try to enter for free.
Someone on FB tried that and got turned back by the ticket police. But they only start at 5am so if you're an early bird you could get in the zone, I guess.
always been able to get in the zone as their public roads, but you need a ticket to enter each temple complex

pre covid, numerous times i have driven in for sunset/sunrise photography and never paid for a ticket as never entered a temple
I was riding from Preah Dak to Siem Reap last week and was turned back. Public road maybe but if you can get a glimpse of a temple you have to have a ticket. I had fun telling the officious checkpoint charlie where he could put his ticket - fortunately he didn't really understand.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
notagain
BANNED
Italy

Post by notagain »

It's time these people, who have earned their rights for over a year by surviving the unforgiving but nonetheless inspiring business environment here, are at least allowed to walk unhindered on any public road in the Kingdom.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

" In the Dissemination Ceremony of Composition & Implementation Mechanism for Siem Reap-Angkor Tourism Management & Development Commission, (the DCCIMSRATMDC) the Minister of Tourism, Mr. Thong Khon, said that PM HE ordered to implement “Free Angkor Pass” to foreigners who have been residing in Cambodia for at least 2 years."
Mr Thing Khon made these brief comments towards the end of the meeting, since most of the day was taken up with discussion and amendments for the name of the commission.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Implemented with effect 9 September, foreigners can apply online for a Free Annual Angkor Archaeological Park pass for foreigners who have resided in Cambodia for at least 2 years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic