Goodness Me! It’s Gluten Free

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Goodness Me! It’s Gluten Free

Post by David Gordon »

Meat and eggs are pure protein. Why take protein powder?? No processed foods for me. Keto/low carb is such an easy way to eat and easy to cook up at home and save $$. Meat eggs cheese butter heavy cream. Some broccoli and cauliflower, romaine lettuce. Simple and done. Avocado. I don’t do it to avoid gluten I avoid carbs. For many - gluten free is a fad. But for people that feel like crap it’s some good to do elimination diets and see how your diet affects your health. Sugar is poison so if you eliminate gluten and then eat cookies made from rice flour and xantham gum and sugar - you’re not doing yourself any favours - especially if there are seed (vegetable) oils which are also poison. 3/$5 is $20 a dozen. RibEye costs less and satiates way more.
Stay classy na
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

David Gordon wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:48 pm Meat and eggs are pure protein. Why take protein powder?? No processed foods for me. Keto/low carb is such an easy way to eat and easy to cook up at home and save $$. Meat eggs cheese butter heavy cream. Some broccoli and cauliflower, romaine lettuce. Simple and done. Avocado. I don’t do it to avoid gluten I avoid carbs. For many - gluten free is a fad. But for people that feel like crap it’s some good to do elimination diets and see how your diet affects your health. Sugar is poison so if you eliminate gluten and then eat cookies made from rice flour and xantham gum and sugar - you’re not doing yourself any favours - especially if there are seed (vegetable) oils which are also poison. 3/$5 is $20 a dozen. RibEye costs less and satiates way more.
I eat very little sugar, only as a treat. :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
vivathedivas
BANNED
Australia

Post by vivathedivas »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:22 am If you are not gluten intolerant, you are not in my target market and your opinion counts for zero.
Wow, great marketing skills.

And you claim to be a guide for people looking for jobs?

Let me guess, gluten-free for diplomats?
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

vivathedivas wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:11 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:22 am If you are not gluten intolerant, you are not in my target market and your opinion counts for zero.

My two businesses have nothing to do with each other, not sure what point you're trying to make?
I've never claimed to be a "guide for people looking for jobs," I am a CV writer.

My point about the gluten free cookies is - that if you are not gluten intolerant and have never had to buy things at gluten free prices, you can't comment, because gluten free products ARE more expensive, everyone knows and accepts that. You can't compare a home made, decent sized gluten free cookie with an Oreo. Just not the same thing at all. It's not like we can just go and pick up a pack of regular cookies either - there are very few options and all the options are more expensive than regular food.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:22 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:11 am
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:40 pm We will be open again next week. Unfortunately we had to close due to stupid Covid.
We now have the MOST delicious gluten free cookies on the menu, 3 for $5. They are to die for, please buy lots so I don't get fat!
5 Bucks for 3 cookies! they must be the size of dustbin lids?
It must be nice to be able to go into any shop and just pick whatever off the shelf, without ever having to check the list of ingredients to find the thing that could make you ill for days.

If you are not gluten intolerant, you are not in my target market and your opinion counts for zero.

My customers are absolutely thrilled that they can buy cookies and other products, knowing they don't have to worry about swelling up like a beach ball, arthritic pain in their joints, excruciating pain when moving, incapacitating exhaustion - not to mention the unimaginable toilet dramas.

Gluten free ingredients are more expensive, everyone knows that.
Quality costs money.
We check everything we use, to make sure it's safe for our customers.

If you are not a sufferer you really have absolutely fuck all idea what it is to live with this.
And you may have noticed our other prices- we have kept all meal prices within standard price range, so to give me a hard time about the price of cookies is just being a douche for the sake of it.
Who’s giving you a hard time? I’m genuinely curious what the cookies at that price are like.
No need to get pissy, but you have anyway, so I’ll wish you good luck with your new venture, and not bother with you again.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:37 pm
Who’s giving you a hard time? I’m genuinely curious what the cookies at that price are like.
They are gluten free. :)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:08 am
ego bibere nimis wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:07 am
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:05 am
ego bibere nimis wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:03 am
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:26 am

Here's a fun game: Guess how much a loaf of gluten free bread costs at Super Duper?
nearly triple the cost of standard white bread. What do I win?
More than triple. The last loaf I bought was a lot smaller than a standard loaf (in slice count) and cost me $9.50. At that price, the bread alone for a toasted sandwich would be close to a dollar.
Hope it goes well, but given that less than 1% of the population is gluten intolerant, I assume you are also heavily targeting Khmers to make the business sing.
Assume whatever you want :)
From my own experience I suggest you to find a niche business like 'gluten free' rather than a mainstream business because you will have to share the market with few only and margins are way higher
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

vivathedivas wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:11 pm

Some businesses have their own niche, and don't need to worry about customers outside that bubble.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:37 pm

You compared my product to dustbin lids, that sounds more provocative than genuinely curious.
Genuinely curious would have been something along the lines of "why are gluten free products more expensive than regular products?"

You push buttons and you push and push until you get the reaction you hope for, then you throw your hands up in the air like you're the victim and people are picking on you for no reason.
Not cool.
vivathedivas
BANNED
Australia

Post by vivathedivas »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:01 amYou push buttons and you push and push until you get the reaction you hope for
Then deprive him of that satisfaction by blocking him or her. In my experience, savvy restaurateurs or vendors never indulge argumentative people, it just makes things worse for the seller.

By not taking the bait, you make them look like the idiots they are, and you come out smelling of (gluten-free) roses.
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
Locked Previous topicNext topic