Ministry Bans Mobile Signal Booster Devices

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Ministry Bans Mobile Signal Booster Devices

Post by Jerry Atrick »

This law is 100% unenforceable

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a signal booster here; mobile coverage is almost nationwide and very strong, certainly compared to many western European nations
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

I am confused by the word "wi-fi" in the KT article.

Reading the actual article, it appears to me that they are still referring to mobile phone cell boosters:

[The spokesman stated “Regarding the priority areas for stopping the use of the service booster, the Ministry is preparing a geographical map of each geography, which will ask people to turn off the equipment when the ministry team measures, especially prioritising areas with minimal coverage.

This cessation is a mechanism that can help areas to have good service quality and a solution that is based on common interests in the future.”

He further emphasized that as a solution related to improving the quality of services, the Ministry is encouraging operators to change equipment and technology, as well as to build additional antenna stations to improve the quality of service for the benefit of all users.]

I don't think they are talking about building antenna stations for home wi-fi.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Appears to be a technical standard issue. Unapproved devices will run signal all over the spectrum reserved for Cambodian 5G, 4G and 3G bands.

Expect the Ministry to either release a list of approved devices or devices to have a sticker ‘for use in Cambodia’ at some point.

This is my guess.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:20 pm This law is 100% unenforceable

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a signal booster here; mobile coverage is almost nationwide and very strong, certainly compared to many western European nations
Go to any borey on the outskirts of the city and you'll see a load of them
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:28 am
cautious colin wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:12 am
Freightdog wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:06 am
cautious colin wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:51 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:25 pm Mobile Signal Booster Devices Banned
AKP Phnom Penh, July 26, 2022 --
The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications has banned signal boosters and/or repeaters, explaining that the use of these devices have caused signal interferences of mobile services.
:facepalm:

I'm sure if there wasn't a need for a booster they wouldn't be purchased.

Instead of fixing the problem, easier to ban a temporary solution, great thinking
Boosters themselves is not the entire issue. The notice makes mention of unapproved devices. The Chinese are very good at meeting required standards such as FCC, and poor quality kit entering the US or UK would be seized at import. If you go to any market in Cambodia, you’ll find shite Chinese shite that wouldn’t pass anywhere more regulated.
But do they actually recognise any as being legit?

From KT
The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications (MPTC) is urging Cambodians using signal boosters and repeaters in their homes to dismantle the units and to stop using it as it disrupt mobile network services
People use signal boosters because they don't have a choice.

Fix the problem, and then the boosters become obsolete
In some cases, network operators fixing the problem is definitely the issue. But don't forget, mobile devices have antenna's in them. Buy a cheap ass phone and highly probable they have crappy components, such as antennas.
Pretty sure this has nothing to do with 'crappy ass phones' and more to do with there not being signal towers in what are now highly populated areas that used to be sparse due to the development of boreys, and lack of foresight for all involved
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic