HDMI Splitter - HDCP problems

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

HDMI Splitter - HDCP problems

Post by Doc67 »

Netflix suddenly wont allow me to display on my tv through an HDMI lead from my laptop, apparently something is none HDCP compliant. I found a site that says I need a splitter, but would a new HDMI lead work or do I need a new TV.

Thanks.

https://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg-ex ... to-fix-it/
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: HDMI Splitter - HDCP problems

Post by ItWasntMe »

That you say "suddenly won't let me" makes me think of maybe some software update causing issues.

Did you try different browsers?

I personally use Netflix with HDMI from my laptop to my TV just fine.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:59 pm Netflix suddenly wont allow me to display on my tv through an HDMI lead from my laptop, apparently something is none HDCP compliant. I found a site that says I need a splitter, but would a new HDMI lead work or do I need a new TV.

Thanks.

Are you sharing an account? Netflix has looked into restricting that.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:27 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:59 pm Netflix suddenly wont allow me to display on my tv through an HDMI lead from my laptop, apparently something is none HDCP compliant. I found a site that says I need a splitter, but would a new HDMI lead work or do I need a new TV.

Thanks.

Yes, daughter in UK plus anyone else she is sharing with. Plus I have new laptop and this is the first time I've attempted to use Netflix.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:21 pm
Kammekor wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:27 pm

Thanks.

Yes, daughter in UK plus anyone else she is sharing with. Plus I have new laptop and this is the first time I've attempted to use Netflix.
Sorry, but it’s probably not gonna work.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:20 pm That you say "suddenly won't let me" makes me think of maybe some software update causing issues.

I have a new laptop and this is the first time I have used it to try to watch Netflix. I can watch it fine on the laptop screen but that's isn't any good to me, I want on the TV screen.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:06 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:20 pm That you say "suddenly won't let me" makes me think of maybe some software update causing issues.

I have a new laptop and this is the first time I have used it to try to watch Netflix. I can watch it fine on the laptop screen but that's isn't any good to me, I want on the TV screen.
I think the HDMI output on your new laptop has a high resolution your TV can't display. See if you can reduce the resolution for the laptop's output to 720p (or even lower if that doesn't work). Not sure if you can have different settings for the laptop screen and HDMI, it'll depend on the laptop.
Last edited by timmydownawell on Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

If you can watch it on the laptop it's not an issue with Netflix, it's a hardware issue.

Any idea which HDMI versions your laptop & TV use? HDMI should be backward compatible, but you need to know the version used to get the correct cable, and sometimes it only works if you scale down the resolution of your laptops. TV's generally have a much lower resolution than laptops. If your laptop wants to use HDMI 2.0 and the cable is a cheap 1.0 cable it won't work. You also have to make sure the HDMI port on your laptop is switched on. Not sure where this is done in yours, but you can have a look in the Windows 'Hardware and Sound' section. My first guess is it's either a resolution or a cable issue.

Finally, does the TV support WIFI or bluetooth? Maybe streaming to the TV through one of these is more convenient? Of course in that case you'd have to hook up the laptop over ethernet.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:17 am

If you can watch it on the laptop it's not an issue with Netflix, it's a hardware issue.

Any idea which HDMI versions your laptop & TV use? HDMI should be backward compatible, but you need to know the version used to get the correct cable, and sometimes it only works if you scale down the resolution of your laptops. TV's generally have a much lower resolution than laptops. If your laptop wants to use HDMI 2.0 and the cable is a cheap 1.0 cable it won't work. You also have to make sure the HDMI port on your laptop is switched on. Not sure where this is done in yours, but you can have a look in the Windows 'Hardware and Sound' section. My first guess is it's either a resolution or a cable issue.

Finally, does the TV support WIFI or bluetooth? Maybe streaming to the TV through one of these is more convenient? Of course in that case you'd have to hook up the laptop over ethernet.
I have found a fix but I'm not sure what I've done is a good thing. I found a video on Youtube.

The video that said: Go to the ... at the top of the screen, then Settings, then System and Performance and turn off the "Use Hardware Acceleration When Available". It now works, but at what price? What does this function normally do?

One of the comments on the Channel said:
"So one major problem with this solution is that it disables HD resolution in Netflix Edge. so you're stuck with SD 540p when you disable Hardware acc"

It appears this fix is not without other issues.

EDIT

Fixed it! Watch it through Chrome instead of Edge, no problems, full HD.

Dr Google to the rescue! :D

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ne ... &FORM=VIRE
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:40 am
Kammekor wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:17 am

I have found a fix but I'm not sure what I've done is a good thing. I found a video on Youtube.

The video that said: Go to the ... at the top of the screen, then Settings, then System and Performance and turn off the "Use Hardware Acceleration When Available". It now works, but at what price? What does this function normally do?

One of the comments on the Channel said:
"So one major problem with this solution is that it disables HD resolution in Netflix Edge. so you're stuck with SD 540p when you disable Hardware acc"

It appears this fix is not without other issues.

EDIT

Fixed it! Watch it through Chrome instead of Edge, no problems, full HD.

Dr Google to the rescue! :D

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ne ... &FORM=VIRE
it's the video card accelerating when games are played, HD content is showed or 3D images are showed. Will slow down video performance but i guess for the low res TV output non accelerated performance will be enough.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic