Question: are any of these tools available in Cambodia locally?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Question: are any of these tools available in Cambodia locally?

Post by SlowJoe »

Hi all,

I have a few tools I'm trying to source so I can start working on more things, wondering if anyone knows of good ones available locally? (I'm in Kampot, but I'll make the trip to PP soon if I have to).

(Image

Spoke wrenches. Doesn't have to be this style.

For bicycles and for motorbikes.

Accurate tire pressure gauge, and what brand? I have two, and neither of them are accurate within 10 psi.

Real gasket paper and not cardboard rolls.

OBD II bluetooth dongle and whatever software compatible with an android phone (if the terminology is right).

Something to read codes on my phone, and if you know what things like injector pulse maps or real time AFR values are, that would be nice if it could display those too.

I know all this is available online, but I can not order anything online. That is not an option, so if anyone's seen this stuff locally, any tips appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Question: are any of these tools available in Cambodia locally?

Post by Freightdog »

I can’t specifically point to a particular source, but while sat in a traffic jam yesterday, between Tuol Kouk and Sen Sok, I was casting an eye in to one of the various vehicle workshops. They seemed to be fairly well kitted out, and organised/tidy, as opposed to the usual crankcase work on a dusty pavement that many seem to engage in. But I’ve not had time to look into this myself.

There also seems to be an off roader type movement (2- and 4-wheel) with guys having some decent kit sorted out, some of it DIY, I think. My guess is that you might get the answers, or at least leads, by talking to some of the better, established work shops. Maybe get in contact with Matt Granger at CNM (Facebook) and he might be able to put you in contact with the workshop that he has associations with in Sen Sok?
Cambodia isn’t as backwards as it may appear at times from the mountains of grubby engines and transmission cases, which is encouraging.

Thailand and Malaya has quite an established industry producing for the big motor manufacturers, and the aftermarket industry. It may be that stuff comes via there.

The trick might be avoiding nasty Chinese shite, though.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:51 am Maybe get in contact with Matt Granger at CNM (Facebook)
Matt Lee (not Granger)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:28 am
Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:51 am Maybe get in contact with Matt Granger at CNM (Facebook)
Matt Lee (not Granger)
I’m glad you pointed that out- it saves an embarrassing conversation later. Different Matt…. :bow:
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:51 am I can’t specifically point to a particular source, but while sat in a traffic jam yesterday, between Tuol Kouk and Sen Sok, I was casting an eye in to one of the various vehicle workshops. They seemed to be fairly well kitted out, and organised/tidy, as opposed to the usual crankcase work on a dusty pavement that many seem to engage in. But I’ve not had time to look into this myself.
Thanks,

Maybe different now (it's been a few years since I got out of importing cars), but most of the well kitted out shops I found either had no idea how to use the stuff so it was either broken, completely unused, or was not the best stuff but looked good for display purposes, but again, might be different now as it's been a few years.

Truth be told, the worst shops I actually went to where the ones with the most tools funny enough (Bosch garage in TTP is first one that comes to mind).

Sorry for that tangent, might be what I have to do when I head up to PP next because Kampot hasn't turned up anything in this department.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

All those things are available. Not sure about OBD II though, ad I've never had to look for one.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

OBD II bluetooth dongle you can order from Aliexpress for a couple bucks.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:29 pm OBD II bluetooth dongle you can order from Aliexpress for a couple bucks.
SlowJoe wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:15 am
OBD II bluetooth dongle and whatever software compatible with an android phone (if the terminology is right).

Something to read codes on my phone, and if you know what things like injector pulse maps or real time AFR values are, that would be nice if it could display those too.

I know all this is available online, but I can not order anything online. That is not an option, so if anyone's seen this stuff locally, any tips appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic