Motorcycle Thugs Attack Ex-Politician in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Motorcycle Thugs Attack Ex-Politician in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Senior Cambodian Opposition Member Assaulted, Remains Unconscious in Hospital
2020-10-19

A senior member of the banned opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) was brutally assaulted in Cambodia’s capital Phnom Penh Monday by two unidentified men on a motorbike, leaving him unconscious and in the hospital, according to his wife.

Din Varin, secretary general of the CNRP’s executive committee and an elected councilor for Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district, was hit in the head with a rock by his assailant while walking on the street after visiting a cafe, knocking him out and causing severe bleeding, his wife Chan Sopheak, also known as Chan In, told RFA’s Khmer Service.

His injury has been complicated by serious hemorrhaging, she said of her husband, who has also been vomiting blood since the incident. The assailants fled the scene and police have said they are investigating the case.

At least 10 CNRP activists and officials have been beaten since late 2019, mostly by motorbike-riding attackers targeting their heads. None of the perpetrators have been arrested.

Chan In said she does not believe the assault was the result of a personal matter, as her husband was not involved in any disputes and owes no money.

She told RFA her son had filed a complaint with the Chak Angre Krom administrative police station. But said she does not trust them to follow through because assailants involved in the beatings of opposition activists in many cases are rarely sought, let alone brought to justice.

“Whenever I go anywhere, I want to carry a stick or a machete,” she said. “I'm not afraid anymore now—I can do it for my husband.”

“Why did they turn to assaulting my husband? They dissolved the party he supported and now they assault him. He was unarmed and merely helped me earn our daily living. My husband never had any arguments with anyone.”

Chan In said she and her husband sell vegetables and pork at the Chak Angre Krom market. She said that since the dissolution of the opposition party, her husband had switched careers to help transport meat and run their market stall.
https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 72314.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Motorcycle Thugs Attack Ex-Politician in Phnom Penh

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Members of the ultra racist former CNRP are being beaten and being given sympathetic coverage from RFA, oh dear.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:01 pm police have said they are investigating the case.
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:01 pmAt least 10 CNRP activists and officials have been beaten since late 2019, mostly by motorbike-riding attackers targeting their heads. None of the perpetrators have been arrested.
10 in under a year? That's quite a few.

Phnom Penh has security cameras coming out of its asshole.....where's the footage of the incident? Don't tell me there isn't any.

Christ almighty........lest a vanquished opposition member think of getting uppity......we'll remind him whose boot is on his neck.

What the fuck are they afraid of? Sit back and enjoy your dictatorship for crying out loud. There are no meaningful challengers afoot.

You can build all the grandiose party headquarters and monuments you want, but you'll still be inconsequential bullies who are no more than a useful idiot and foot-peg for China's South China Sea cordon.

Anyway this diatribe is probably premature, I'm sure we'll see articles detailing transparency and swift justice being meted out very soon.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

No need to investigate. Just wait for the next round of promotions.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE: Thugs on Motorbikes, Version 2022

Cambodian opposition official hospitalized after motorbike attack
Observers say the incident is yet another example of political intimidation
By RFA Khmer
A group of 10 people on motorbikes on Sunday attacked an official of Cambodia’s main opposition Candlelight Party, causing a severe head injury that required hospitalization, the official told RFA.

Nol Pongthearith was on his way to a meeting and on his own motorbike in front of the Candlelight Party office at Por Senchey district in the capital Phnom Penh when he was allegedly attacked by 10 people on four motorcycles. They shouted death threats and struck him, including on the back of his head, with an iron bar.

He said he was bruised and bloodied all over his body and required 12 stitches.

On Monday, Nol Pongthearith told RFA’s Khmer Service that he was forced to leave the hospital prematurely to continue his treatment at home to ensure his safety. He remains in pain and his wounds require further treatment.

“I am concerned for my life because the assailants shouted that [they] wanted me dead. This is not normal,” he said, adding that he believes that he was targeted because he is a member of the Candlelight Party.

Candlelight Party officials have complained for several months about incidents of violence and bullying by local officials representing Prime Minister HE’s ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), especially in the run up to the June 5 local communal elections. The Candlelight Party ended up winning about one-fifth of the country’s contested commune council seats.

Police have received Nol Pongthearith’s complaint and require his cooperation to investigate, Phnom Penh Municipal Police spokesman San Sok Seiha told RFA.

San Sok Seiha however urged the victim and journalists not to connect his assault with politics or similar incidents in the past before an investigation is completed.
https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 90840.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic