Visa & Passport Renewal

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Visa & Passport Renewal

Post by Kenr »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:15 pm
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:47 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:35 am
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:33 am All my old passports have the corners cut out. I seem to remember when I re -newed them I had to send the old one along with the application ?
That would be a serious complication wouldn't it?
why ?
Because I think spending time abroad without a valid passport at hand is a complication.
The US Passport only takes 10 business days to get back, so that’s pretty good. Just make a copy of all relevant documents inside the passport and everything is just fine.

If there were any legal issues I’m sure the US Embassy wouldn’t do it that way.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Oh i see, I didn't realise he would be in Cambodia when he makes the application
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kenr wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:58 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:15 pm
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:47 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:35 am
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:33 am All my old passports have the corners cut out. I seem to remember when I re -newed them I had to send the old one along with the application ?
That would be a serious complication wouldn't it?
why ?
Because I think spending time abroad without a valid passport at hand is a complication.
The US Passport only takes 10 business days to get back, so that’s pretty good. Just make a copy of all relevant documents inside the passport and everything is just fine.

If there were any legal issues I’m sure the US Embassy wouldn’t do it that way.
Why anyone would want to spend 10 business days, which effectively is over two weeks in a perfect world, abroad without access to a valid passport is beyond my understanding.
Why any government would need to have my old passport in order to issue a new one is also beyond my understanding. We could do the exchange when the new passport is there without any possible complications on my side.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Having to send the passport away if applying from overseas is just ridiculous, not to mention irresponsible, Nations leaving their Citizens abroad without a passport is crazy, but many countries still operate that way.

Most reasonable countries don't require the current/old passport to be submitted when applying for a new passport, but many do state that your current passport is cancelled and not valid for travel once you have submitted your application, but you at least still have the passport in your possession.

I always pay extra for fastrack processing for mine and the kids NZ passports renewals, application process is completed entirely online, once approved and payment submitted, delivered straight to my door by DHL from NZ within 7 days. A "Cancelled" sticker is supplied for you to put on the cover of your old passport along with instructions to cut off the corner of the cover.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

In the UK you send your existing passport along with your application, it is then sent back separately if you select that option and pay the postage. They stamp cancelled on it and cut off the corner.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Come on now, I’m not saying I like it or agree with it, but it is what it is and as long as it is legal I’m not going to sweat it. It will be a few more years down the road before I will have to experience it for the first time. And 10 business days is 12 days minimum or 14 days max. And I can only assume they do it that way is to prevent fraud, but I don’t know that for sure.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

And in my travels through Thailand and Mexico I have never carried my passport with me other than when I exchanged money.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kenr wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:16 am And in my travels through Thailand and Mexico I have never carried my passport with me other than when I exchanged money.
Great you have great trust in your government.

For me, I don't want my passport to carry it around. I never carry it around, it stays in the safe. But I want instant access to my passport in case I need it when I am abroad. That's why I always use express services, like @PSD kiwi mentioned. I don't want my passport out of sight.

When a government promises 10 working days max from Cambodia I tend to question if it's true. Due to delayed applications (COVID) the waiting time for a passport is at least six weeks now in my country. If your government somehow messes up and ten days turn into a longer period, or you unexpectedly must travel during those 10 days, you're f@cked. I don't like to run those risks which are beyond my own control.

But each his own. Maybe I'm just a control freak, but I tend to be aware I am no longer at home, but in Cambodia, and without my passport there's no way out.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:50 am
Kenr wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:16 am And in my travels through Thailand and Mexico I have never carried my passport with me other than when I exchanged money.
Great you have great trust in your government.

For me, I don't want my passport to carry it around. I never carry it around, it stays in the safe. But I want instant access to my passport in case I need it when I am abroad. That's why I always use express services, like @PSD kiwi mentioned. I don't want my passport out of sight.

When a government promises 10 working days max from Cambodia I tend to question if it's true. Due to delayed applications (COVID) the waiting time for a passport is at least six weeks now in my country. If your government somehow messes up and ten days turn into a longer period, or you unexpectedly must travel during those 10 days, you're f@cked. I don't like to run those risks which are beyond my own control.

But each his own. Maybe I'm just a control freak, but I tend to be aware I am no longer at home, but in Cambodia, and without my passport there's no way out.
Thats all well and fine if ur living somewhere and you can leave ur passport at home, i do the same
When i travel, my passport is always with me, never left at the hotel or anywhere ( like renting a bike) plus always have copies of the passport and current visas
I 've had over 12 passport issued overseas, never taken less than 14 days, never more than 21. Had them issued in Kathmandu, New Delhi, HK and Bangkok. never used any express service
FYI: i have only had 1 passport stolen and that was back in India in 1975

used to be in Phuket the Consular service would visit phuket 3x/year for notarizations, pages added I( pre 2016) and getting a new passport>
if u wanted a new passport they would take ur old one with them back to Bangkok an then it would be sent back with ur new one in apx 2 weeks> great service

it is what it is and to each their own
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Consider- the visa in your passport is deemed the property of the issuing government, while the passport it is held in is the property of your own government.
Reading Doc’s query in the first post, I would say that no agency has the right to dismember a complete passport. Maybe they can destroy a damaged passport, which is no longer a controlled document, for want of a better term.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic