Visa & Passport Renewal

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Visa & Passport Renewal

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Kenr wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:08 pm I do not doubt anything you say concerning these issues and I feel silly asking this. I have read that you need at least 6 months of validity left in order to apply for a visa extension, but I believe you are saying that you need at least 1 1/2 years of validity remaining in order to apply for a 1 year extension? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?
You need 6 months validity remaining on your passport from the Expiry Date of your new Extension of Stay, so yes, you need to have 18 months remaining on your passport to apply for a 12 month EOS - 12 months for a 6 month EOS - 9 months for a 3 month EOS - 7 months for a 1 month EOS.

Many people don't realise this and get a shock when told by Visa agents or the DoI that they are not eligible for the EOS period they are applying for, or not eligible for an EOS at all and are required to leave the country or go into overstay while waiting for a replacement passport.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:42 pm
Kenr wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:08 pm I do not doubt anything you say concerning these issues and I feel silly asking this. I have read that you need at least 6 months of validity left in order to apply for a visa extension, but I believe you are saying that you need at least 1 1/2 years of validity remaining in order to apply for a 1 year extension? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?
You need 6 months validity remaining on your passport from the Expiry Date of your new Extension of Stay, so yes, you need to have 18 months remaining on your passport to apply for a 12 month EOS - 12 months for a 6 month EOS - 9 months for a 3 month EOS - 7 months for a 1 month EOS.

Many people don't realise this and get a shock when told by Visa agents or the DoI that they are not eligible for the EOS period they are applying for, or not eligible for an EOS at all and are required to leave the country or go into overstay while waiting for a replacement passport.
Yeah, I would have been shocked, LOL. Because of the timing, my current passport will only be good for 9 years.

Edit: 9 years and 4 months.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:32 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:39 am Q1: Will a current visa in my old passport carry forward to my new passport or is the remaining term of the visa lost?

Your Visa EOS remains valid until the date of expiry, you need to travel with and present both cancelled & new passports to Cambodian Immigration upon exit/entry, Immigration will place entry/exit stamps in your new passport. When you apply for your new EOS, you also need to submit both old and new passports, new EOS will be placed in new passport.

Q2: If the visa is transferable, what is the procedure and is this something an agent can deal with or does it require a personal visit to a government office?

You cannot transfer your Visa EOS to new passport, as above, you need to travel with and present both cancelled & new passports to Cambodian Immigration.
You must have at least 6 months validity remaining on your passport from the date your new Visa EOS will expire, and a minimum of 2x blank VISA pages, therefore you are only eligible to obtain
1x 6 month EOS (Feb 23),
plus 1x 3 month EOS (May 23),
plus 2x 1 month EOS's (Jul 23) in your current passport

Jan 2024 - 6 months = Jul 2023

So in summary... apply for 6 month EOS, once new passport received travel with both, when you apply for next EOS submit both passports, easy peasy.
Thank you so much, that sounds like a good plan.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:36 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:19 am

Hmm, August 2023 (expiry of NEW visa) + 6 months = FEB 2024. That's 1 month after passport expiry...
Yes, I think you're eligible for a 6 months EOS only. After that you could do another 3 months EOS but they're single entry only.

I would apply for 6 months EOS and a new passport at the same time. There will be a few months when you have to carry both around.
Dies the UK do extra thick passports? In the Netherlands the default is 32 pages but you can also apply for a 64 page passport at a surcharge.
They do a 50 page one, as opposed to a 34 page one. The UKPO quote £90 for a paper application but I was told VFS charge $180!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bluenose wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:17 pm https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports You keep your old passport but you can't use it for travel. The visa in it continues to be valid. I renewed mine early purely because of the 6 month rule, and I'm not sure how it works if your passport is valid for more than 10 years (ie you had up to 9 months remaining validity transferred from the previous passport). Some countries only count validity as 10 years from date of issue.
When you collect your new passport from VFS they will cut one corner off the cover of the old one. There is a thicker US passport available, just costs a bit more.
You can't use it for travel? I had a look at that link but it's an application form.

Are you saying that the moment I apply for a new passport from VFS my current passport cannot be used for travel?

Do they cancel the old one when they issue a new one and I could get stuck somewhere when the airport passport readers flash up my passport as being cancelled?

Edit:
I just went onto the VFS website, put in "Resident of Cambodia" and "UK passport" and it directed me to the UK gov website and I found this:

2nd Edit: They also said this: "Do not book travel until you have a valid passport - your new passport will not have the same number as your old one."
That's a good point, once you apply you can't go booking flights for 2 months time with your old passport number because if your new one turns up you will be screwed!

Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I dont knowin the UK, but in Belgium you cant have 2 passports, only in very specific cases, for example if you have iranien stamps in it and you want to go to Israel. And when you go to the office to collect the new-one, they keep the old-one. You can ask them to keep the old-one as a souvenir, but they to cut a corner from it, to cancel it !!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Regularly, two passports is reserved for things like professional reasons.
I can (should have already), as having the passport parked at an embassy awaiting can stop me legally operating for the company on international flights. Which nearly 100% of mine are, now.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:04 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:36 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:19 am

Hmm, August 2023 (expiry of NEW visa) + 6 months = FEB 2024. That's 1 month after passport expiry...
Yes, I think you're eligible for a 6 months EOS only. After that you could do another 3 months EOS but they're single entry only.

I would apply for 6 months EOS and a new passport at the same time. There will be a few months when you have to carry both around.
Dies the UK do extra thick passports? In the Netherlands the default is 32 pages but you can also apply for a 64 page passport at a surcharge.
They do a 50 page one, as opposed to a 34 page one. The UKPO quote £90 for a paper application but I was told VFS charge $180!
Follow the official website I posted earlier, it is GBP 118.51 for a standard passport and 128.51 for an extra 16 pages. You book an appointment at VFS and turn up with the docs including the payment authorisation form for your debit or credit card
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:35 am
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:33 am All my old passports have the corners cut out. I seem to remember when I re -newed them I had to send the old one along with the application ?
That would be a serious complication wouldn't it?
why ?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:47 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:35 am
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:33 am All my old passports have the corners cut out. I seem to remember when I re -newed them I had to send the old one along with the application ?
That would be a serious complication wouldn't it?
why ?
Because I think spending time abroad without a valid passport at hand is a complication.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic