Visa & Passport Renewal

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Visa & Passport Renewal

Post by Doc67 »

I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I can't find it in the search function.

Background:
My Visa expires August 2022 - I want to apply for a new UK passport - I have multiple travel plans in the next few months.

Q1: Will a current visa in my old passport carry forward to my new passport or is the remaining term of the visa lost?

Q2: If the visa is transferable, what is the procedure and is this something an agent can deal with or does it require a personal visit to a government office?

Finally, I have been told that while my new UK passport application is being processed, I keep my old passport. Upon collection of my new passport I have to cut up my existing passport at the VFS office and keep the remains of it.

Q3: Is this true? (it sounds a bit crude)
If true it would be very useful as I have trips planned in September and December so I could apply now and not worry about Visa expiry dates or travel plans.

As always, many thanks in advance...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Visa & Passport Renewal

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:39 am I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I can't find it in the search function.

Background:
My Visa expires August 2022 - I want to apply for a new UK passport - I have multiple travel plans in the next few months.

Q1: Will a current visa in my old passport carry forward to my new passport or is the remaining term of the visa lost?

Q2: If the visa is transferable, what is the procedure and is this something an agent can deal with or does it require a personal visit to a government office?

Finally, I have been told that while my new UK passport application is being processed, I keep my old passport. Upon collection of my new passport I have to cut up my existing passport at the VFS office and keep the remains of it.

If true it would be very useful as I have trips planned in September and December so I could apply now and not worry about Visa expiry dates or travel plans.

A1: your current visa is valid until the expiry date, as long as it's undamaged.

A2: no need to transfer.

A3: yyes, they will damage your old passport beyond repair. Just make sure the name datails, photo, en current visa page remain undamaged.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ur what visa ( extension) expires next month? how long is ur passport valid for?
i've heard from brits that New passport takes 2-4 months

valid visas in expired passports are valid for travel:
you just submit both at immigration and u will be stamped in on ur new passport>

In the US we submit old passport an they return it with the corner cut and stamped on photo page
"Cancelled" BUT always i have had valid visas/extensions in and they were always good

NO idea what you brit's do
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:47 am Ur what visa ( extension) expires next month? how long is ur passport valid for?
i've heard from brits that New passport takes 2-4 months
A passport needs at least 6 months validity left after the Cambodian visa expires. Since his visa expires next month, you can do the math.

The problem is probably not the waiting time for the passport itself but the fact the current visa can not be extended in the current passport.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Yes, sounds like a dangerous situation. Without having at least 6 months left in current passport, assuming that’s the case because OP never stated when his current passport expires, might be a tricky situation depending on the time it takes for them to renew a UK passport.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:42 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:39 am I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I can't find it in the search function.

Background:

A1: your current visa is valid until the expiry date, as long as it's undamaged.

A2: no need to transfer.

A3: yyes, they will damage your old passport beyond repair. Just make sure the name datails, photo, en current visa page remain undamaged.
Is it possible to transfer transfer the visa? I don't really want to have to carry 2 passports for the next year.

My current passport does not expire until Jan 2024 but is running out of pages so I want to get a new one before it becomes a problem. It has 4 clean ones remaining and that will be 3 after visa renewal. A couple of trips and those could be down to zero quickly with careless immigration officials liking clean pages for their stamps. I read somewhere (here probably) that insufficient spare clean pages can become an issue.

The fact I can keep my old passport while a new one is being issued solves a lot of problems, I might sit tight until next year and time my application with visa renewal and travel plans.

The next question is what is the turn around time for a UK passport?

EDIT
A passport needs at least 6 months validity left after the Cambodian visa expires. Since his visa expires next month, you can do the math.

Hmm, August 2023 (expiry of NEW visa) + 6 months = FEB 2024. That's 1 month after passport expiry...
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I do not believe you can transfer your visa from the old passport to the new one. You definitely have enough for at least your next two (2) trips, possibly more depending on how they stamp it. It’s up to you if you want to renew your passport now or wait.
Last edited by Kenr on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

All my old passports have the corners cut out. I seem to remember when I re -newed them I had to send the old one along with the application ?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:33 am All my old passports have the corners cut out. I seem to remember when I re -newed them I had to send the old one along with the application ?
That would be a serious complication wouldn't it?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:19 am

Hmm, August 2023 (expiry of NEW visa) + 6 months = FEB 2024. That's 1 month after passport expiry...
Yes, I think you're eligible for a 6 months EOS only. After that you could do another 3 months EOS but they're single entry only.

I would apply for 6 months EOS and a new passport at the same time. There will be a few months when you have to carry both around.
Dies the UK do extra thick passports? In the Netherlands the default is 32 pages but you can also apply for a 64 page passport at a surcharge.
Last edited by Kammekor on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic