Live Aid

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Live Aid

Post by Gazzy »

Live Aid was 37 years ago today. Where were you? What were your highlights?
violet
Expatriate

Re: Live Aid

Post by violet »

A weird year for me. I’d gone to Auckland NZ from London to go to University. Weird because I have almost no memory of my time at university. Brief snatches of moments from maybe 4 days in that year. And, no, I wasn’t doing heavy drugs.

Definitely don’t remember watching Live Aid but I probably did.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I hate it.

This song is so shit.

FFS. :roll:

This is garbage. It got a bit better after that.

Live Aid: SPIN’s 1986 Investigation Into Relief Aid Abuse, ‘Sympathy for the Devil’
One night at dinner in late 1985, a friend talked about Ethiopia being in a civil war. Neither I nor anyone else at the table had heard that. It hadn’t been covered in the American press. This was just six months after the Live Aid concerts in Philadelphia and London had directly and indirectly raised over $100 million dollars for famine relief in the African nation. The next day I asked my sister Nina, an assistant at SPIN then, to research this, because if the country was at war, it would surely be difficult to move aid around and get it to people who needed it.
In those days we didn’t have the Internet, so research was done by going to the library and trawling through endless spools of microfiche — film of newspaper pages from around the world. That evening she came into my office ashen faced — she had discovered it was clear, and very well evidenced, that this famine, the awful depictions of which had pulled on the world’s heartstrings, was man made, by government planes deliberately napalming rebel farms.
Every year Ethiopia experiences some degree of drought, the worst ones bringing famine. But the country historically dealt with this. Some years were worse than others. In 1984 the famine that inspired first Band Aid’s “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” and then Live Aid, was very bad and people were dying of starvation. But the cause was less nature than cynical genocide. A fact apparently so easy to discover that an editorial assistant barely out of college did so in a matter of hours at the library.
I asked Bob Keating, a superb young investigative reporter who had just started working with us, to look into this for a story. The assignment was simple — all this money had been raised, where was it going, was it actually doing good?
He discovered it was not doing good, but, horrifically, unimaginably, the exact opposite. The Ethiopian dictator, Mengistu, until then deadlocked in the war, was using the money the west gave him to buy sophisticated weapons from the Russians, and was now able to efficiently and viciously crush the opposition. Ethiopia, then the third poorest country in the world, suddenly had the largest, best equipped army on the African continent.
More:

https://www.spin.com/2015/07/live-aid-t ... f-feature/
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Fond memories for me.

I’d just turned eighteen and taken ownership of my first passport to use on an Aussie youth’s rite of passage - a trip to Bali.

Part of Live Aid was spent eating sate with rice at the apartment of the guy who first excited me about travel through Asia - him spending a lot of that day filling me in on places to go on my first upcoming trip to Indonesia.

Zico was twice my age and had come to Australia via the hippie trail during the mid seventies and would always be telling wild stories of overland travel and all that went with it during those times.

He was also a great photographer as well as artist and had many drawings and photos to help with my travel education. (Remember how other travelers used to write information, a scratchy map, an address or notes on a small piece of paper or napkin for you?)

He was a pretty crazy guy who many thought a bit of a lune, but he was a good friend to me and gave lots of advice in the early years of my travels. He was into a bit of dodgy stuff and would occasionally do a short stint for fraud or a bit of counterfeiting from time to time.

Zico was a big influence and I remember very well watching Live Aid that day in his apartment by the beach while smoking hash, listening to stories from the hippie trail, eating sate, watching the concert and getting notes and advice.

I was talking to Zico in the city only a couple of weeks ago (he’s 70 now) and we were reminiscing about this very day ourselves.

Good times.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic