ARGH FACEBOOK!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: ARGH FACEBOOK!

Post by atst »

Well maybe after 22 days you'll have an idea if all that advertising was generating business or not.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:20 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:06 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:35 am So frustrated I could smash something.

I've been restricted from posting in Facebook groups for 22 days!

My advertising strategy has always been to post one advert in a group and bump that post daily or weekly, depending on the group rules. I even pay to advertise in some groups and have never broken out of this strategy. I've been doing the same thing for YEARS, with a list of about 25 - 30 relevant groups.

Now all of a sudden I am breaching community standards on spam and have been restricted. I don't understand why now, all of a sudden things are different.
And there's nothing I can do about it.
Are you using a private account?
Yes because not all the groups allow you to join as a page. My strategy now is to only advertise on groups that allow me to join as the page.
So I have to remove my personal self from all the groups and try to join again as my page.

I guess one good thing is it will cut out a lot of unnecessary notifications.
It looks like their strategy is to restrict personal accounts so people opt for (paid) business accounts.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

atst wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:28 pm Well maybe after 22 days you'll have an idea if all that advertising was generating business or not.
True.
At least I own one of the largest groups on Facebook for South Africans immigrating overseas, I started it a few years ago and it now has just under 30 thousand members.
Thankfully i am not barred from posting on my own group!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:21 pm so you were paying money to people who had a group that costs them no money to run just so you could post in that group and facebook got upset by that?
Correct, it's very common for big groups to charge advertisers.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

just a little side track but about fb

past few days have been hit with sponsored ads>
was turned on to this Chrome extension which Blocks them
https://www.fbpurity.com/
so far works great
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:27 pm just a little side track but about fb

so far works great
Yes. That guy’s great. I’ve donated in the past. Unfortunately he never developed it for mobile phones and I use my phone 99% of the time. I used it years ago when I used a computer or laptop to surf

Copied from the website… FB Purity will not run on mobile / tablet browsers on Iphone or Android, or the IPad / Ipad2 / Ipad3 / IOS etc as they are not compatible.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:27 pm just a little side track but about fb
so far works great
The sponsored ads have really increased a lot. In the past, you might see one ad or even none, on a long scroll of the news feed. Now, I am seeing one ad almost every two or three posts. It is insanely annoying. Fewer posts coming through from friend connections, too. On Android, there is seemingly no way to filter this crap. Even ordinary non-sponsered posts on city forums are crowded with expats advertising restos, bars or some junk nobody wants to buy, lol... Now all these new sponsored mostly Khmer business and product ads. It is like a trashy newspaper... Time to dump FB, or post without looking at the feed...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic