double pricing Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: double pricing Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

sigmoid wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:32 pm
Kenr wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:35 pm There are individuals who rave about Vietnam, and myself having never been there, do they have the ability, do they have the infrastructure, to accommodate 40 million tourists a year? Also, it’s one thing to cross the border by land, but can their airports handle that kind of traffic?
Can you please elaborate on what they rave about? VN is not really a popular country. It's cheap with a few scenic places. They had 18 million tourist arrivals in 2019 but mostly other Asians (Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, etc.) looking fo somewhere cheap, warm and safe.

Anyway, they're quite focused on infrastructure but for industry, not tourism, except for maybe domestic tourism with a population of nearly 100 million.
What's your latest timeframe for the revolution in Thailand.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Kenr wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:35 pm There are individuals who rave about Vietnam, and myself having never been there, do they have the ability, do they have the infrastructure, to accommodate 40 million tourists a year? Also, it’s one thing to cross the border by land, but can their airports handle that kind of traffic?
Can you please elaborate on what they rave about? VN is not really a popular country. It's cheap with a few scenic places. They had 18 million tourist arrivals in 2019 but mostly other Asians (Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, etc.) looking fo somewhere cheap, warm and safe.

Anyway, they're quite focused on infrastructure but for industry, not tourism, except for maybe domestic tourism with a population of nearly 100 million.
Mostly other Asians is Thailand's growth market in the future, western tourists to Thailand have maxed out at 7 million a year.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Elaborate on what? On here they talk about how great it is. On here they talk about how they wish Vietnam had a retirement scheme. On here they talk about how they get more for their money in Vietnam. On here more people talk about wanting to go visit Vietnam more than any other country in that area. Anything else?
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:45 pm

What's your latest timeframe for the revolution in Thailand.

Depends on the upcoming election that must be held by May(?)...

Will they rig it? Will they cancel it? 'cause they're sure as heck not going to win it. Mr. T is certainly on the case already shoring up his alliances. If people are hurting economically as they were in 1997, it should be another Shinawat/Peua Thai "landslide" victory.

How far will the army folks go to stay in power?

So, only questions at this point.

How about you? What's your take? Is this Thailand’s next PM?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

^ In a normal democracy the current mob would likely lose heavily however they have already altered the voting system in a way to minimise the threat of a landslide win against them. If buying votes is too difficult you may as well just buy groups of MP's from small parties. They do find ways to ban opposition MP's that present a popular threat so it will be interesting to see if they manage to do that with Shinawatra before or after the election. Interested to see how it pans out.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

Looking at the Booking sites, the pre pandemic prices are currently being offered to Tourists. I don't see anything Cheap offered, just normal prices.
At the end of the day Thailand does what it wants and the tourist just has to deal with it; it's always been the case in my experience and you know some people might be very unhappy about the way that Thailand is dealing with the tourists, but at the end of the day if you're not happy then there's many other options and of course there's Cambodia and Vietnam which are fantastic to visit that is good, Indonesia is fantastic and very interesting and so is the Philippines so it's not all about Thailand.
Japan South Korea Taiwan also interesting you know maybe even China I mean it doesn't all revolve around Thailand there are many options out there Laos Myanmar Malaysia the list goes on and on.
More than just any old backpacker.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think our Richard made a good point earlier in this thread. Other than a few southern states Thailand is quite an amazing and varied place. It has mountainous regions, great parks, amazing historical monuments (even if many of them are Khmer), world class beaches, a great infrastructure and great shopping. Even if the people might get a bit jaded with idiot foreigners they are generally fine if you behave. Cambodia has some nice sights but most are difficult to access and even when you get there you might find the facilities are not great. National Parks in Cambodia are not what they could be. Laos is much the same, but has even less to see. Vietnam has some amazing places, but it's not as easy to travel around as Thailand. Many foreigners run into difficulties with Viets who have quite a different way of looking at things than other inhabitants of the region. Indonesia again has wonderful sights, but most of the country is not really amenable to ordinary tourists. Myanmar was looking good for a bit but nobody wants to visit a warzone. Of course there are great things to see in any country but overall I can understand why Thailand wins out.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

dont know why you left out the south>
Great islands off of Trat, the drive between Yala and Betong is one of the most scenic in the county, people are very friendly an the food is good. The Malaysians / Singaporeans love the South :-)

Anyway, seems the hoteliers have convinced the government that their not going to dual price guests
Just another crazy idea that once it hit social media is shot down

Thailand survives, always

wrote this 5 years ago
post199961.html?hilit=bali,%20thailand, ... os#p199961
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:10 am dont know why you left out the south>
Because of the unrest there.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic