Energy Crisis in Cambodia

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Energy Crisis in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

July 7, 2022
Kingdom’s power supplier may face $100 million loss
Cambodia has estimated that its power supplier, Electricity of Cambodia (EDC), will lose $100 million this year as the economy has been affected by the war between Russia and Ukraine and the economic sanctions on Moscow and around the world, Prime Minister HE said.

EDC will suffer its first loss in its history as the state-owned enterprise has not increased the electricity tariff unlike some countries that have raised it up twice, the Prime Minister said during a meeting with the Asean para games delegation at the Peace Palace in Phnom Penh yesterday.

“I have another point to say today. I appeal to both our people and our nation’s institutions to save electricity. It is the first time in history the electricity [business] has fallen into a loss. If the government had not taken care of the people, the price of electricity would have doubled at this moment,” Prime Minister said.

He added that the government planned to reduce electricity tariff by the end of this year, but that is impossible now.

However, the impact has been mitigated by much rainfall this year that enabled the hydropower dams to generate electricity.

“If the hydropower dams run insufficiently, the electricity will be produced by coal or oil and so the price of electricity will rocket.
However, the government has to subsidise the loss,” he said, adding that some factories or enterprises have been facing losses due to the rising price of oil.

Prime Minister HE also urged the people and especially government institutions dependent on the national budget to save electricity in response to the energy crisis caused by rising prices of oil, coal and gas.

The gas price has gone up 35%, Prime Minister HE said, citing a Ministry of Commerce report.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501107943/ ... lion-loss/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Energy Crisis in Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm not buying this story. However I will likely be buying some much more expensive Kw/h in the near future.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:26 pm I'm not buying this story. However I will likely be buying some much more expensive Kw/h in the near future.
Ditto. Some of the highest electricity around.
The loss must be after paying expenses … such as salaries and investors etc…
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Is it true that the cost of electricity is less than $.15 Kw/h? If so, these rental properties are making a killing by charging $.25 - $.30 per Kw/h.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Lowest I've ever paid was 720 riel (0.17) a Kw/h with my name on the property in Phnom Penh. I've heard of some rates at 640 riel before and I think some went as low as 500 something for larger businesses, but most houses I've had or lived in were either 720 or 800
Kenr wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:35 am Is it true that the cost of electricity is less than $.15 Kw/h? If so, these rental properties are making a killing by charging $.25 - $.30 per Kw/h.
If it's an apartment complex or guesthouse and it has backup power supplies, the rates are understandable as a carry over from before because of the unreliability and voltage variations of the power in recent times.

I remember having put around $10k into a generator just to keep our factory up and running because the power was only keeping us online less than half of the day effectively, and that was back in 2017 I believe.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

From what I have read their power grid is not the most stable or reliable.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic