Former Prime Minister Pen Sovan Blacklisted from Visiting US

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Former Prime Minister Pen Sovan Blacklisted from Visiting US

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Why? Pen Sovann is accused of being involved in human trafficking. It seems to be related to a trip he took to the USA back in 2001 with a Cambodian assistant.

Engrish and Khmer:
Spoiler:
Former Prime Minister Khmer blacklisted from the ground floor
Former Prime Minister Khmer Pen Sovann US blacklist banned travel to the United States. The reason was that both of Pen Sovann involved in human trafficking.

Surrounding the case Pen Sovann today as MP constituency Kampong from the National Salvation Party, told reporters on the morning of January 12, with the criteria that the US Embassy in Cambodia has come to him more than 1 year ago, about naming him into the blacklist.

But around this Pen Sovann explained that in 2001 he traveled to the United States and one male assistant to go with him. Assistant US fugitive lived. But he has returned to Cambodia in the past two months and he will be informed about this to the American embassy. Pen Sovann plans to bring aid to address at the US Embassy in the afternoon of 12 January.

Notification of registration Pen Sovann US blacklisted so Siphan, a spokesman for the Council of Ministers, media distribution through Facebook on Monday the 12th of January. It also named Thach Setha senior party another too. But on the morning of Jan. 12, Mr. Thach Setha denied.

អតីត នាយករដ្ឋមន្ត្រី ខ្មែរ ជាប់ ឈ្មោះ ក្នុង បញ្ជីខ្មៅ មិន ឱ្យ ជាន់ ដី អាមេរិក
ដោយ: លី សិលា (ថ្ងៃទី មករា 12 2015 10: 54: PM)
អតីត នាយករដ្ឋមន្ត្រី ខ្មែរ លោក ប៉ែន សុវណ្ណ ត្រូវ បាន សហរដ្ឋអាមេរិក ដាក់ ក្នុង បញ្ជី ខ្មៅ ហាមមិនឲ្យធ្វើដំណើរទៅកាន់សហរដ្ឋអាមេរិកនោះទេ។ មូលហេតុ ត្រូវ បាន គេ សំអាង ថា មកពី លោក ប៉ែន សុវណ្ណ ជាប់ពាក់ព័ន្ធ នឹង ការ ជួញដូរ មនុស្ស.

ជុំវិញ ករណីនេះ លោក ប៉ែន សុវណ្ណ សព្វថ្ងៃជាអ្នកតំណាងរាស្ត្រមណ្ឌលខេត្តកំពង់ស្ពឺ មកពី គណបក្ស សង្គ្រោះ ជាតិ បាន ប្រាប់ អ្នកកាសែត នៅ ព្រឹក ថ្ងៃទី 12 មករា នេះ ដោយ ទ ទួល ស្គាល់ ថា ស្ថាន ទូត អាមេរិក នៅ កម្ពុជា បាន ជូន មក រូបលោក កាលពី ជាង 1 ឆ្នាំ មុន អំពី ការ ដាក់ ឈ្មោះ លោក ចូល ក្នុង បញ្ជីខ្មៅ.

ប៉ុន្តែ ជុំវិញ ករណីនេះ លោក ប៉ែន សុវណ្ណ បាន បកស្រាយ ថា កាលពី ឆ្នាំ 2001 លោក បាន ធ្វើដំណើរ ទៅ អាមេរិក ហើយ មាន បុរស ជំនួយ ការ ម្នាក់ ទៅ ជាមួយ រូបលោក. ជំនួយ ការ នោះ បាន រត់គេច ខ្លួន រស់នៅ អាមេរិក. ប៉ុន្តែ បុរស នោះ បាន វិល ត្រលប់ មក កម្ពុជា កាលពី ពីរ ខែមុន ហើយ លោក នឹង ជូន ដំណឹង ពី រឿង នេះ ទៅ កាន់ ស្ថាន ទូត អាមេរិក. លោក ប៉ែន សុវណ្ណ គ្រោង នឹង នាំ ជំនួយ ការ ម្នាក់ នោះ ទៅ បង្ហាញខ្លួន នៅ ស្ថាន ទូត អាមេរិក ប្រចាំ កម្ពុជា នៅ រសៀល ថ្ងៃទី 12 មករា នេះ.

ដំណឹង នៃ ការ ចុះឈ្មោះ លោក ប៉ែន សុវណ្ណ ទៅក្នុងបញ្ជីខ្មៅ​របស់អាមេរិកដូច្នេះ ត្រូវ បាន លោក ផៃ ស៊ី ផា ន រដ្ឋលេខាធិការ និងជាអ្នកនាំពាក្យទីស្តីការគណៈរដ្ឋមន្ត្រី បាន ចែកចាយ ផ្សព្វផ្សាយ តាម ហ្វេ ស ប៊ុ ក នៅ ថ្ងៃ ចន្ទ ទី 12 មករា នេះ. ក្នុង នោះ ក៏ មាន ឈ្មោះ លោក ថា ច់ សេដ្ឋា មន្ត្រីជាន់ខ្ពស់គណបក្សសង្គ្រោះជាតិ ម្នាក់ទៀត ផង ដែ រ. ប៉ុន្តែ នៅ ព្រឹក ថ្ងៃទី 12 មករា នេះ លោក ថា ច់ សេដ្ឋា បាន បដិសេធ.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Former Prime Minister Pen Sovan Blacklisted from Visitin

Post by General Mackevili »

More info from the Cambodia Daily:

Former Prime Minister Pen Sovann claimed Monday that he has been barred from entering the U.S. because of an assistant who overstayed his U.S. visa more than a decade ago, and paid a visit to the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh in an effort to remedy the situation.

His announcement followed reports that Mr. Sovann, who is now an opposition CNRP lawmaker, had been blacklisted by the U.S. for human trafficking. The claims first appeared Friday in an online post by the Khmer People Power Movement, a dissident Cambodian-American group.

The post, which also claimed that former Sam Rainsy Party Senator Thach Setha was on the trafficking blacklist, was then shared on Facebook by Phay Siphan, spokesman for the Council of Ministers.

On Monday, Mr. Sovann said the claims of a travel ban were true. He said he learned of the ban about a year ago and that it stemmed from a trip he made to the U.S. with an assistant in 2001.

“I was informed by officials at the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh that they would not issue me a visa to go to the U.S. because I brought a person there and that person has not yet returned,” he said.

Mr. Sovann said he made the 2001 trip—as then-president of the tiny Cambodian National Sustaining Party—with Seng Vanna, his assistant at the time, and that Mr. Vanna insisted on staying behind in the U.S. for emergency medical treatment.

“My assistant at the time told me that he was very sick and could not walk properly, so he couldn’t come back on schedule,” he said. “But it was not human trafficking as some people claim.”

Mr. Sovann said his former assistant finally returned to Cambodia about two months ago—more than 13 years after he left the country.

“The officials at the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh told me that they would give me a visa to travel to the U.S. whenever my former assistant, who escaped and stayed in the U.S. past his visa, returned home,” he said. “Now he’s back.”

The former prime minister said he went to the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh on Monday to try to get off the blacklist, but was told he needed to make an appointment. He said he would return later to settle the matter.

Mr. Vanna said Monday he was indeed back in Cambodia and had returned roughly two months ago.

He said he overstayed his visa in 2001 to receive treatment for a kidney stone and continued to live in the U.S. after marrying a Cambodian-American, but never applied for citizenship.

“After we arrived in the U.S., I felt very sick with pain in my kidney,” he said. “It was the symptom of a kidney stone, so I stayed in the U.S. past my visa to get treatment…. It had nothing to do with Pen Sovann and it’s not true that he trafficked me.”

Mr. Setha, the former senator, denied the trafficking claims and said he was never informed of a U.S. travel ban, either.

“I have nothing to say to defend myself against what I haven’t done,” he said. “If I had done such a thing, the Cambodian government would not let me be free. If it were true, I should have been put on trial.”

Mr. Setha said he last visited the U.S. in 2005.

The U.S. Embassy would neither confirm nor deny placing a travel ban on either man.

“We are unable to provide details of individual visa cases as the records are confidential under U.S. law,” embassy spokesman Jay Raman said in an email. “If and when there is evidence indicating that an individual is inadmissible to the United States or ineligible for a visa, the State Department would take appropriate action.”

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/form ... him-75941/
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Mr Pen Sovan, ex-prime minister is now allowed to enter USA again.

source: http://kohsantepheapdaily.com.kh/article/112820.html
Spoiler:
Pen Sovann: US Embassy to Cambodia agreed to enter US territory and

By: Van Progress

Tuesday, 13 January 2015 14:41

Capital: lawmaker Speu center party Pen Sovann said the US Embassy to Cambodia have agreed to allow access to the territory to the United States.

The elevation of the former prime minister took place after the United States has put his name blacklisted linked with human trafficking and the system was released on 12 January this yesterday.

The Pen Sovann recently he really has resulted in one person named Tunisia Vanna, 40, to treat inflammatory kidney in the United States, but the names Tunisian Vanna did not escape to have lived in the United States that same position and returned to Cambodia last two days.

Speaking by phone to tell Island in the afternoon of 13 January 2015, Mr lawmaker from the opposition party, explained that the approval of the US Embassy at this time, after he brings name Tunisia Vanna and taking with Certificate and passport to the US Embassy on January 12, yesterday and the Embassy examined properly homework does not matter.

However, on Tuesday afternoon, US Embassy officials declined to comment.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Coolio, thx.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Mr Pen Sovan is now being hospitalized, after he experienced with stroke. Now Mr Kim Sokha is raising fund to help send him for treatment in oversea. Anyone want to help ? :)

បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic