Cambodia - My 2nd Home Scheme

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Cambodia - My 2nd Home Scheme

Post by Tootsfriend »

rubberbaron wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:01 pm Who wants a Cambodian passport?
If I was a China-man, I would answer that.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Main benefit of a Cambodian Citizenship and passport is that you can legally own any property 100%.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:04 pm Main benefit of a Cambodian Citizenship and passport is that you can legally own any property 100%.
And anyone who already owns property through various schemes and company set ups should seriously consider it as it might be the only way to get their current properties transferred into their own name and not rely on the trustworthiness of others.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

compares thailand 10 year vs Cambodia
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/th ... HCUCuGvCio
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:04 pm Main benefit of a Cambodian Citizenship and passport is that you can legally own any property 100%.
I think that ship has sailed with the house prices now, unless you're going to buy in the boonies. Money better spent in your own country IMO
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

atst wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:56 pm
I think that ship has sailed with the house prices now, unless you're going to buy in the boonies. Money better spent in your own country IMO
Definitely true for Phnom Penh City, but still plenty of very affordable land available, good long term investment. Also many good deals available due to people needing to sell urgently due to income loss over the Covid period, many people who took out loans but unable to pay back, sad for them but good for buyers.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Not sure what 5 means, can anyone clarify?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

I do.

This is the only country I've really known as an adult. I have no family, no friends or close connections elsewhere, so being a perpetual "visitor" needing a visa every 12 months has been a huge thorn in my side.

It's something that's always bothered me about here, there was no way to become a resident or have a pathway to citizenship of some sort.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

It says after five years “eligible to apply for a Cambodian passport”.
No further comment.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic