About The Mass Shootings in US

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Re: About The Mass Shootings in US

Post by JBTrain »

Random Dude wrote:
Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:30 pm 1. Lots of guns available in the US, legal and otherwise.
2. Socio-economic instability.
3. Mental health issues untreated or "overtreated" (lots of weird medication).
4. Creepy copycat culture/a desire for fame by any means.
5. A hopeless nihilistic vibe in the US.
6. Honestly, there has been such a surge in crazy violent crime recently, I feel like there is some sort of "Order 66" being carried out.
Yeah... Valid points I think, but I think there's more to it.

I'd add the gun culture to the list. Years of Hollywood movies glamorizing guns,portraying them as the way to deal with your problem. Also, the idea that guns = freedom always seemed like a cultish mindset to me. And then there's the NRA who sponsors the politicians that enable the easy access.

So you get your unbalanced weirdos (numbers 2,3,4,5), give them easy access to an arsenal and the inevitable happens. Other countries have 2,3,4,5 but most of those places make it difficult for those people to get their hands on guns.
Most? I'm not aware of anywhere in the world where it's easier for a teenager to buy a semi automatic rifle. No license, no training, no checks in many cases. It's idiotic.

https://www.liveandinvestoverseas.com/l ... aws-world/

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Last edited by JBTrain on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Using Tapatalk
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

JBTrain wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:14 pm
Random Dude wrote:
Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:30 pm 1. Lots of guns available in the US, legal and otherwise.
6. Honestly, there has been such a surge in crazy violent crime recently, I feel like there is some sort of "Order 66" being carried out.

I'd add the gun culture to the list. Years of Hollywood movies glamorizing guns,portraying them as the way to deal with your problem. Also, the idea that guns = freedom always seemed like a cultish mindset to me. And then there's the NRA who sponsors the politicians that enable the easy access.

So you get your unbalanced weirdos (numbers 2,3,4,5), give them easy access to an arsenal and the inevitable happens. Other countries have 2,3,4,5 but most of those places make it difficult for those people to get their hands on guns.
Most? I'm not aware of anywhere in the world where it's easier for a teenager to buy a semi automatic rifle. It's idiotic.

Merica!
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:04 pm

Some more points in response:
1. I'd add gangster rap culture. Dudes bragging about killing people.
2. In the After Floyd Era (AFE), some segments of the population have been given the greenlight to commit crime.
3. For Conservatives, guns=freedom. For Liberals, killing babies=freedom. (Yes, we are divided.)
4. "Unbalanced weirdos" shouldn't have access to guns.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Big Daikon wrote:

Some more points in response:
1. I'd add gangster rap culture. Dudes bragging about killing people.
2. In the After Floyd Era (AFE), some segments of the population have been given the greenlight to commit crime.
Uh got a list of gangster rappers/BLM activists who have been mass shooters? Missed that.

Last edited by JBTrain on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Using Tapatalk
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

JBTrain wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:28 pm Uh got a list of gangster rappers/BLM activists who have been mass shooters? Missed that.

Do you listen to much drill rap?

Quick Google search:
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

It’s unfortunate that individuals want to point the finger at a problem and make excuses as to why something happens, but they continue to omit why these people do what they do. They do it because they can.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

my answer is not full and complete by any means (and I won't be taking the time to read and edit so it is easy for the reader - stream of conscious), however I wonder if partly it is due to the perfect storm of:

**the easy access to the type of weaponry being used

**the lack of access to appropriate and required mental health support (be it talking therapy, medication or whatever)

**individuals becoming more socially isolated with most 'meaningful' interactions via a screen/device,
which contributes to those teetering on the edge of a mental health experience being left to their own imaginations to get caught up in a reality that is of their making in their heads - some might label it a psychotic break, but others might just consider it as something that can occur given the right circumstances that shouldn't be given a label that might hang over a person for a lifetime (those that don't succumb to mass shootings and other behaviours that hurt others).

**things in a person's head where that person doesn't have a good support network or a voice to counter their reality can quickly escalate to a tipping point

**psychological bias when searching the internet and interacting with strangers on forums/reddit/whatever that (for those at risk of psychotic behaviour) causes the person's beliefs/perceptions/etc to be reinforced, and so the perceptions/thoughts/etc get bigger. They might feel that they are part of a group who want to cause a change or take advantage of a broken society. Perhaps they might feel they will step up and act where others merely talk. They might want to 'take out' those they feel represent a part of society that has brought about a world they don't feel they belong in (and feel helpless to change). they may feel they have nothing to lose and have lost (if they ever had) compassion and connectedness to others because of their own circumstances and a break with reality due to a combination of factors.

**lack of sleep, especially if a person is falling into what might be labelled as bipolar personality disorder or similar.

Why more in the USA? The first two points set the USA apart, I think. Also, there's the concept of the 'tipping point' (Malcolm Gladwell) - see below.

________ I don't think I've found the answer, so my post is not much help. But you asked for thoughts, and I felt like having a go at attempting to communicate some of the complexity I think exists to produce this but am not really articulate enough to do so

The tipping point:
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell is a book about how small actions at the right time, in the right place, and with the right people can create a "tipping point" for anything from a product to an idea to a trend. Gladwell is not a sociologist, but he relies on sociological studies, and those from other disciplines within the social sciences to write articles and books that both the general public and social scientists find fascinating and worthwhile. According to Gladwell, the "tipping point" is "that magic moment when an idea, trend, or social behavior crosses a threshold, tips, and spreads like wildfire."

According to Gladwell, there are three variables that determine whether and when the tipping point for a product, idea, or phenomenon will be achieved: The Law of the Few, the Stickiness Factor, and the Power of Context.

copied from the first reference I found on an internet source: https://www.thoughtco.com/malcolm-gladw ... ry-3026765
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Big Daikon wrote:
JBTrain wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:28 pm Uh got a list of gangster rappers/BLM activists who have been mass shooters? Missed that.

Quick Google search:
Topic is mass shootings not criminality.

Using Tapatalk
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

JBTrain wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:44 pm
Big Daikon wrote:

Quick Google search:
Topic is mass shootings not criminality.

Not minor criminality, talking mass and serial killings here. Check Mr. Bingham's previous post for data.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

JBTrain wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:48 pm You don't think... pick a country at random, Norway, South Korea, Japan, Cambodia whatever has creepy teenagers? Please.
You’ll have to clarify that a bit- it almost reads as if you see me suggesting that I don’t think they exist. Which suggests some misapprehension.

I’ll clarify a bit for you.

Crazy people, regularly unstable people, and temporarily unstable people exist in large numbers, everywhere. You have only to see the irrational responses in regular news in Cambodia,
from mature sone burns mums house down because…
To
Lunatic kills baby because he’s angry with wife

However, in the latest mass shooting, a clearly unstable person glorified a school mass shooting (fictional or otherwise), appears to have aspired to suicide by cop, taken a weapon, killed a bunch of people, and run away.

I asked similar questions before-
We’re there no warning signs prior to this, Is society so lacking in awareness to notice, or too rule bound to be able to intervene?

Again, similar questions can be asked in the aftermath of a suicide. But given the opportunity (easy access) some can progress to offence first.

I’m genuinely curious as to whether some of these folk would be too weak mentally or lacking in back bone to do the same things if only a garden tool, kitchen knife or hammer were available.
Seriously crazy folk have used readily available alternate weapons in the past. Take a look at the Female tourist decapitated in a shop in Tenerife.
Care of people who may not be compatible with normal everyday life is a touchy subject, and in some cases the system has not taken responsibility, or maybe simply cannot in the face of the legal pressure about peoples rights.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic