China to do feasibility study for monorail

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: China to do feasibility study for monorail

Post by pczz »

its feasible if the loan repayments to china are high enough.
here is the major issue with PP. Nothing is in the centre, so local infrastructure is needed first, like llight railways from the dtation to naga, riverside etc.
From my place to airport is $7 in a tulk and about 40 minutes in average traffice.
From my house to railway station is $3 and about 40 minutes in average traffic followed by 40 minutes on the train if i dont have to wait.
traffic round the station is hell, so even getting from there to riverside can take 30minutes at some times of day.
Mass trnasit is only goinf to work if its a complete system, not just airport to station and they fend for yourself.
Doesnt evebn work inBangkok really. If there are 2 or more its usually more convenient and marginally more expensive to use a taxi that the skytrain. Try carryibng 2 bags up the stairs !
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Paulo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:31 pm I see buses running empty all day; only taking up valuable road space. Well, sometimes there is a passenger or two on board . I think a monorail may have some novelty value at the start, but when people realize it doesn't stop at their door like their motorcycle or car does, and any walking is involved, it will be a short lived loved affair. Also, if it's as poorly managed as the intercity rail network, it won't be worth bothering with. But don 't listen to me, I'm a hopeless optimist.
I use the city buses quite a often and some like the number 3 are standing room only at certain times of the day.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

Duncan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:03 am
Paulo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:31 pm I see buses running empty all day; only taking up valuable road space. Well, sometimes there is a passenger or two on board . I think a monorail may have some novelty value at the start, but when people realize it doesn't stop at their door like their motorcycle or car does, and any walking is involved, it will be a short lived loved affair. Also, if it's as poorly managed as the intercity rail network, it won't be worth bothering with. But don 't listen to me, I'm a hopeless optimist.
I use the city buses quite a often and some like the number 3 are standing room only at certain times of the day.
I was thinking of the number 13. I see it nearly everyday going empty southwards past Russian Market and passing it's north bound empty mate. The most I have seen on that bus was 4 people. Maybe that'"s just an unpopular route.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Paulo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:15 am
Duncan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:03 am
I was thinking of the number 13. I see it nearly everyday going empty southwards past Russian Market and passing it's north bound empty mate. The most I have seen on that bus was 4 people. Maybe that'"s just an unpopular route.

Maybe just an unpopular number. They should change it to 14 or 7777
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AUDD
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by AUDD »

ExPenhMan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:05 pm Later in the story:
A feasibility study for an automated gateway transit (AGT) system, an electric-powered mass transit system, in Phnom Penh is now being conducted in cooperation with the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
Almost three years ago, a monorail was rejected in a JICA study. Instead:

“ 'According to the pre-feasibility study, a small electric rail coach system was selected based on the passenger demand and urban characteristics in Phnom Penh. Through the evaluation, the AGT is the most flexible system in terms of geometric design among other alternatives such as a metro, monorail, LRT [light rail transit] and a tramway,' said Hideaki Wase, an urban transportation advisor in JICA."

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/26439/jica ... it-system/

This study done by JICA done ages ago, whatever happened with it. They even marked out the 3 proposed AGT routes and stations with maps provided and which would have cost $800 million. Along with a further 4th proposed line for expansion afterwards for expansion. Then Cambodia got the SEA games in 2023 and they costed another line out to the new stadium.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Quote ] The AGT is an electric-powered mass transit system with coaches that can carry a maximum of 30 passengers each and will run at a speed of 60 kilometers per hour.

Yea, Yea , Yea, why not 100 kilometres per hour it would make the report sound sooo much better.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Not feasible. No electricity. Done.

Next.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE

Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital
Post Staff | Publication date 25 June 2022 | 14:54 ICT
Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro or monorail in the capital as an option to reduce traffic congestion and accidents.

Chanthol briefed the representatives on a government analysis on requirements for such a public transportation system.

Afterwards, the company experts presented details on feasible subway and monorail lines – which they indicated would connect most major areas, especially those with high population densities – and other research results.

The study compared details of both proposals, including construction cost and duration as well as operational and maintenance costs.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... il-capital
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic