Schengenvisum mother in law and brother

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
diesel
Expatriate

Re: Schengenvisum mother in law and brother

Post by diesel »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:05 pm
diesel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:48 pm
down_time wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:43 am
diesel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:40 am And sonebody experience applying a K visa on arrival??? Our children has a khmer mother, so they can get a free K visa.
Not sure if the K visa question is related to your mother-in-law and brother's trip to Europe or simply a second unrelated question regarding your kids passport situation but it's worth clarifying as this is the third time in as many weeks I've heard questions relating to it.

There seems to be quite a lot of confusion about it with both Westerners and Cambodians. I'm clarifying here in case someone else is looking for confirmation on the K visa.

I see @PSD-Kiwi has answered above and I know he has more in depth knowledge of these administrative issues than me but it's worth elaborating I think. @PSD-Kiwi please correct me if any of the following is not correct.

The K visa is ONLY required if a Cambodian dual national is entering Cambodia on their foreign passport. It is NOT an Exit Visa as I have heard it described numerous times. If a Cambodian is entering Cambodia on their Cambodian passport a K visa is not required on their foreign passport. A K visa is not required to enter any other country than Cambodia. A Cambodian with two passports (Cambodian and foreign) is NOT expected to show a K visa when entering Cambodia on their Cambodian passport.

Okay so of i understand , my kids only have a dutch passport , so they cant get K visa.
You misunderstand...if you're kids only have a Dutch passport then they CAN get the K-type Visa.

The K-type Visa is for those of Cambodian descent or dual Citizenship travelling on a foreign passport.

If they had Cambodian passports, then there would be no requirement to get K-type Visas.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

diesel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:48 pm Okay so of i understand , my kids only have a dutch passport , so they cant get K visa.
Having ONLY a Dutch passort exactly why they WOULD get a K visa, if they had a Cambodian passport they wouldn't need one.

Think about it.

If they travel with their Dutch passport and try to enter Cambodia they will be assumed to be Dutch and would require an entry visa (eVisa etc) and they would need to pay for it and exit the country before its expiry or obtain an EOS.

Obviously that's not necessary because they are Cambodian but without a passport there is no evidence of this. A K visa gets stuck in their Dutch passport so Cambodian immigration know they are actually also a Cambodian citizen so no further entry visa is required.

I really struggle to understand why people find this so complicated. :facepalm:

@PSD-Kiwi stated in his post, you can get the K visa on arrival, I would trust his advice if he says it's possible. I was under the impression in the past people have not been able to get them at airports on arrival, but that's only reported by others and from quite a few years ago now so the situation has probably changed. You need some supporting evidence such as Mothers birth certificate, Child's birth certificate.

I don't know more about availability on arrival or the full document requirements as my kids always have both passports and enter on their Khmer ones.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

diesel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:42 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:29 am
diesel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:40 am Hello all.

5 year ago my khmer wife and ne left the provincie life of cambodia to live in the netherlands.

Now we want to invite her mother and brother for avfamily visit ,so the grandmother of her visit grandchildren for the first time.

To apply for a visa she need offcourse a legalisation of the familybook ti proof the family connection. Also we let translate her landpapers, invitationletter etc etc. But is only a familybook enough or need my wife also a legalisation of her birthcertificate to proof the connection???

We live in the Netherlands, but we must go to Brussel for a legalisation.

Who has experience with this???
I think you're mixing things up. Your wife's family in Cambodia has to apply for a Schengen visa in Cambodia. They can apply at VFS Global in Phnom Penh which do the paperwork for the German embassy. The Cambodian family has to legalize their documents in Cambodia. They can do this at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or at a recognized translation office. Info about the required documents here: https://phnom-penh.diplo.de/kh-en/servi ... sa/2002412.
Yes i know, but we invite the mother of my wife, so we must proof she is her mother, familybook is evidence , but mostly they also need the birthcertification together with the familybook. So probarly my wife needs also a legalisation of her birthcertificate. Its depending what they see as full proof, only familybook or also birthcertificate.

Most visa denied of incomplete applications of not enough evidence they return home
Since your wife lives with you in The Netherlands I assume she is (no longer) in the family book of her mum, I guess. Your wife's birth certificate will have her mum's name on it, so that's the starting point I think. Cambodian embassies (Germany, Belgium [?]) can legalize it, or the MoFA in Phnom Penh can. A legalized version has a three month validity for the Dutch government so plan carefully. Count from the date it was legalized.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

down_time wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:14 pm I was under the impression in the past people have not been able to get them at airports on arrival,
The K-type Visa has always been available on arrival, except for the period from March 17th 2020 till March 17th this year when the issuing of ALL Visas on Arrival was suspended due to COVID restrictions.

It is not available in-country (maybe this is what you were thinking of), the only way to obtain a K-type Visa is in advance from a Cambodian Embassy/Consulate or on arrival.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:31 pm Since your wife lives with you in The Netherlands I assume she is (no longer) in the family book of her mum, I guess.
She will still be in the family book, peoples details don't get removed from family books or Carnet de Residences.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:45 pm It is not available in-country (maybe this is what you were thinking of), the only way to obtain a K-type Visa is in advance from a Cambodian Embassy/Consulate or on arrival.
That's possibly what I was thinking of, I just remember a few years ago someone I know having some sort of issue. I've not worried about it too much as it's a non issue for my kids.
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:31 pm

5 year ago my khmer wife and ne left the provincie life of cambodia to live in the netherlands.

Now we want to invite her mother and brother for avfamily visit ,so the grandmother of her visit grandchildren for the first time.

To apply for a visa she need offcourse a legalisation of the familybook ti proof the family connection. Also we let translate her landpapers, invitationletter etc etc. But is only a familybook enough or need my wife also a legalisation of her birthcertificate to proof the connection???

I think you're mixing things up. Your wife's family in Cambodia has to apply for a Schengen visa in Cambodia. They can apply at VFS Global in Phnom Penh which do the paperwork for the German embassy. The Cambodian family has to legalize their documents in Cambodia. They can do this at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or at a recognized translation office. Info about the required documents here: https://phnom-penh.diplo.de/kh-en/servi ... sa/2002412.
Yes i know, but we invite the mother of my wife, so we must proof she is her mother, familybook is evidence , but mostly they also need the birthcertification together with the familybook. So probarly my wife needs also a legalisation of her birthcertificate. Its depending what they see as full proof, only familybook or also birthcertificate.

Most visa denied of incomplete applications of not enough evidence they return home
Since your wife lives with you in The Netherlands I assume she is (no longer) in the family book of her mum, I guess. Your wife's birth certificate will have her mum's name on it, so that's the starting point I think. Cambodian embassies (Germany, Belgium [?]) can legalize it, or the MoFA in Phnom Penh can. A legalized version has a three month validity for the Dutch government so plan carefully. Count from the date it was legalized.
Ofcourse she still in the familybook, thats never changing. No problem to legalize that one, we need also the legalisation of the familybook to proof the brother is rally the brother of my wife, so we can make a invitationletter with familyvisit as reasson.

But my big guestion is, is a familybook enough evidence to proof her mother is hermother. They always speak about familybook and birthcertificate. So probarly its only usefull when they are together.

If not, we no need to make a trip to Brussel. Embassy didnt give the answer.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

diesel wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:30 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:31 pm

Ofcourse she still in the familybook, thats never changing. No problem to legalize that one, we need also the legalisation of the familybook to proof the brother is rally the brother of my wife, so we can make a invitationletter with familyvisit as reasson.

But my big guestion is, is a familybook enough evidence to proof her mother is hermother. They always speak about familybook and birthcertificate. So probarly its only usefull when they are together.

If not, we no need to make a trip to Brussel. Embassy didnt give the answer.
The person in the family book could also be the stepmother, so I think the proof for the embassy in in the birth certificate because it has the name of both father and mother on it.
I've seen family books with a specification of the relationship added, but I don't think they have it all. Sometimes a family book is issued before a child is born, or when the kids have flown out. If the 'mother' is in the family book I guess it will be fine.
kerberus
Expatriate

Post by kerberus »

It will be hard to get a schengen visa. It would be much more easy to visit them in Cambodia.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kerberus wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:32 pm It will be hard to get a schengen visa. It would be much more easy to visit them in Cambodia.
If the grandma can proof she's grandma the odds are pretty good.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic