Schengenvisum mother in law and brother

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
diesel
Expatriate

Schengenvisum mother in law and brother

Post by diesel »

Hello all.

5 year ago my khmer wife and ne left the provincie life of cambodia to live in the netherlands.

Now we want to invite her mother and brother for avfamily visit ,so the grandmother of her visit grandchildren for the first time.

To apply for a visa she need offcourse a legalisation of the familybook ti proof the family connection. Also we let translate her landpapers, invitationletter etc etc. But is only a familybook enough or need my wife also a legalisation of her birthcertificate to proof the connection???

We live in the Netherlands, but we must go to Brussel for a legalisation.

Who has experience with this???

The brother has a contract and banksalary, i hope enough evidence that he go back Cambodia.

I think they easily give the mother a visum, but the brother become more difficult.

And sonebody experience applying a K visa on arrival??? Our children has a khmer mother, so they can get a free K visa.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Schengenvisum mother in law and brother

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

diesel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:40 am And sonebody experience applying a K visa on arrival??? Our children has a khmer mother, so they can get a free K visa.
If your child has a Cambodian passport they can just enter Cambodia on that, if not then you need to provide supporting documentation proving that the child's mother is a Cambodian National (ie. Childs birth certificate, etc.) to get the K-type (Special) Visa on Arrival, free and valid for the lifetime of the passport. Need to select "Special" Visa on Immigration Card (see pic)

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

diesel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:40 am Hello all.

5 year ago my khmer wife and ne left the provincie life of cambodia to live in the netherlands.

Now we want to invite her mother and brother for avfamily visit ,so the grandmother of her visit grandchildren for the first time.

To apply for a visa she need offcourse a legalisation of the familybook ti proof the family connection. Also we let translate her landpapers, invitationletter etc etc. But is only a familybook enough or need my wife also a legalisation of her birthcertificate to proof the connection???

I think you're mixing things up. Your wife's family in Cambodia has to apply for a Schengen visa in Cambodia. They can apply at VFS Global in Phnom Penh which do the paperwork for the German embassy. The Cambodian family has to legalize their documents in Cambodia. They can do this at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or at a recognized translation office. Info about the required documents here: https://phnom-penh.diplo.de/kh-en/servi ... sa/2002412.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

diesel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:40 am And sonebody experience applying a K visa on arrival??? Our children has a khmer mother, so they can get a free K visa.
Not sure if the K visa question is related to your mother-in-law and brother's trip to Europe or simply a second unrelated question regarding your kids passport situation but it's worth clarifying as this is the third time in as many weeks I've heard questions relating to it.

There seems to be quite a lot of confusion about it with both Westerners and Cambodians. I'm clarifying here in case someone else is looking for confirmation on the K visa.

I see @PSD-Kiwi has answered above and I know he has more in depth knowledge of these administrative issues than me but it's worth elaborating I think. @PSD-Kiwi please correct me if any of the following is not correct.

The K visa is ONLY required if a Cambodian dual national is entering Cambodia on their foreign passport. It is NOT an Exit Visa as I have heard it described numerous times. If a Cambodian is entering Cambodia on their Cambodian passport a K visa is not required on their foreign passport. A K visa is not required to enter any other country than Cambodia. A Cambodian with two passports (Cambodian and foreign) is NOT expected to show a K visa when entering Cambodia on their Cambodian passport.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

down_time wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:43 am I see @PSD-Kiwi has answered above and I know he has more in depth knowledge of these administrative issues than me but it's worth elaborating I think. @PSD-Kiwi please correct me if any of the following is not correct.

The K visa is ONLY required if a Cambodian dual national is entering Cambodia on their foreign passport. It is NOT an Exit Visa as I have heard it described numerous times. If a Cambodian is entering Cambodia on their Cambodian passport a K visa is not required on their foreign passport. A K visa is not required to enter any other country than Cambodia. A Cambodian with two passports (Cambodian and foreign) is NOT expected to show a K visa when entering Cambodia on their Cambodian passport.
All correct :thumb:
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:29 am

I think you're mixing things up. Your wife's family in Cambodia has to apply for a Schengen visa in Cambodia. They can apply at VFS Global in Phnom Penh which do the paperwork for the German embassy. The Cambodian family has to legalize their documents in Cambodia. They can do this at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or at a recognized translation office. Info about the required documents here: https://phnom-penh.diplo.de/kh-en/servi ... sa/2002412.
I think you mean that they want to come to Holland, no ??
I had a similar expierience with some gril coming to Belgium. We had to go to the french embassy (you should go to the german), and was denied twice, without real reason, its extremely difficult, they even asked for 90 days she should have about 10.000 dollar on her account, that she could "survive" on her own. When i asked them how many khmer employees in the embassy had 10.000 on their bank-account, they looked me with big eyes. The problem is they are so scared she will stya adn never return to Cambodia. Good tip for that: never ask 90 days but try 45 days. I used to think it doesnt matter how long she stays, the big cost is the airplane-ticket, but it isnt, the big costs is living in Europe, once arrived, the costs only start. Mine had money, on the bank, own appartement, 2 children and a (fake) work-contract. And still get denied !!! Dont plan anything ahead, just try, and try again !! Good luck !! STERKTE MAN !!
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

Yes i know, but we invite the mother of my wife, so we must proof she is her mother, familybook is evidence , but mostly they also need the birthcertification together with the familybook. So probarly my wife needs also a legalisation of her birthcertificate. Its depending what they see as full proof, only familybook or also birthcertificate.

Most visa denied of incomplete applications of not enough evidence they return home
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

Bongmab69 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:38 pm

I think you mean that they want to come to Holland, no ??
I had a similar expierience with some gril coming to Belgium. We had to go to the french embassy (you should go to the german), and was denied twice, without real reason, its extremely difficult, they even asked for 90 days she should have about 10.000 dollar on her account, that she could "survive" on her own. When i asked them how many khmer employees in the embassy had 10.000 on their bank-account, they looked me with big eyes. The problem is they are so scared she will stya adn never return to Cambodia. Good tip for that: never ask 90 days but try 45 days. I used to think it doesnt matter how long she stays, the big cost is the airplane-ticket, but it isnt, the big costs is living in Europe, once arrived, the costs only start. Mine had money, on the bank, own appartement, 2 children and a (fake) work-contract. And still get denied !!! Dont plan anything ahead, just try, and try again !! Good luck !! STERKTE MAN !!

Its important to make a complete application, with all documents and a good invitationletter and proof of quarantee. And reasson to return back to cambodia
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

down_time wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:43 am
Not sure if the K visa question is related to your mother-in-law and brother's trip to Europe or simply a second unrelated question regarding your kids passport situation but it's worth clarifying as this is the third time in as many weeks I've heard questions relating to it.

There seems to be quite a lot of confusion about it with both Westerners and Cambodians. I'm clarifying here in case someone else is looking for confirmation on the K visa.

I see @PSD-Kiwi has answered above and I know he has more in depth knowledge of these administrative issues than me but it's worth elaborating I think. @PSD-Kiwi please correct me if any of the following is not correct.

Okay so of i understand , my kids only have a dutch passport , so they cant get K visa.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

diesel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:48 pm
down_time wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:43 am

Okay so of i understand , my kids only have a dutch passport , so they cant get K visa.
You misunderstand...if you're kids only have a Dutch passport then they CAN get the K-type Visa.

The K-type Visa is for those of Cambodian descent or dual Citizenship travelling on a foreign passport.

If they had Cambodian passports, then there would be no requirement to get K-type Visas.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic