11th Cambodia International Film Festival in Phnom Penh 2022

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

11th Cambodia International Film Festival in Phnom Penh 2022

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

11th Cambodia International Film Festival to Begin Later This Month
AKP Phnom Penh, June 16, 2022 --
(Photo: Ran Chanphirun)
The annual Cambodia International Film Festival (CIFF) 2022, the 11th of its kind, will be held from June 28 to July 3.

Hosted by the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts, the Cambodia International Film Festival event has been organised by the Cambodia Film Commission and the Bophana Centre, in partnership with major film industry players, theatres, sponsors and filmmakers.

Over 144 films from 26 countries, including short and feature films, documentaries and animations, will be shown at major screening venues in Phnom Penh, including Legend Cinema, Major Cineplex, Prime Cineplex, French Institute, Bophana Centre, Chaktomuk Theatre, Rosewood Hotel Phnom Penh, Java Creative Café, and Factory Phnom Penh.

The event is aimed not only to present other cultures, and exchange ideas, but also to be a crossroad for young and more experienced film professionals to expose their work.
By Phal Sophanith
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 11th Cambodia International Film Festival in Phnom Penh 2022

Here are previous Cambodia International Film Festival threads for movie buffs. 2018 looks particularly cinema-rich.
cambodian-culture-and-language/cambodia ... t3207.html
cambodian-culture-and-language/cambodia ... 12626.html
cambodian-culture-and-language/cambodia ... 18479.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Note: The film festival is starting today, 28 June 2022.

On 29 June, there is the first screening of the local documentary on Kampong Chhnang's inclusive Lotus Sports Club, by director Vanna Hem. It will be shown at 4:15pm at the Chaktomuk Conference Hall in Phnom Penh.
There is a second screening on Saturday, July 2nd at 4:30pm at Rosewood, Phnom Penh.

Cinema documentary:Cambodia's Lotus Sports Club and Pa Vann Sovann, transgender coach
cambodian-culture-and-language/cinema-d ... 50315.html

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia International Film Festival 2022 Program:
For all film lovers, the Cambodian International Film Festival is back. The festival starts on 28 June and runs until 3 July, 2022. Further details on this page: https://web.facebook.com/cambodiaiff/ #CIFF2022

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Indigenous Filmmakers Bring Their Communities’ Stories to Film Festival
3 min read
Roun Ry
| Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:28 pm

Eleven young indigenous filmmakers will showcase short films on their culture, language and hurdles facing their communities at a Phnom Penh film festival that starts Wednesday.

The Cambodia International Film Festival was inaugurated Tuesday evening and will screen movies starting Wednesday morning at venues across the capital after a two-year hiatus due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The festival runs until Sunday, with a scheduled roster of events and screenings of Cambodian and international films and documentaries.

Kicking off the festival will be a showcase of short films from indigenous filmmakers who have been training at the Bophana Center, an organization that archives audiovisual material from Cambodia.

The 11 filmmakers have been trained in camera work, audio recording and other technical skills over the past year. As part of that, they have filmed documentaries about issues faced by their communities, such as early marriage for women and how their lives differ from other communities in the country.

Nhoch Seeyean is a 19-year-old filmmaker from Ratanakiri’s Tampoun indignenous group. She will screen a 14-minute movie “Sanoung,” which means food in the Tampoun language.

Seeyean produced the film in this indigenous language, explaining the idea for the project originated from “annoying” questions she often gets about her community’s food and eating habits.

“Some of my friends wondered and asked me, do we eat raw meat for food? So this film is to explain to them that we don’t eat raw meat,” Seeyean said.

The filmmaking training helped Seeyean not only learn sound recording, camera setup, storytelling and editing but also gave her an opportunity to tell a story that is important to her.

“It is very important for me because I’m afraid that my culture, tradition and language will be lost. Through my observation these days, some culture has already been lost and some is partly remaining,” Seeyean said.

Research released in April by youth and women empowerment group Women Peace Makers showed that young women from indgenous communities had a high sense of pride about their identities but faced discrimination for their practices and beliefs. Most respondents said they were worried about losing their language and culture.

Kasal Sinuon, 24, is from Ratanakiri’s Keh Chung commune in Bakeo district. The fledgling Jarai filmmaker chose to document a family of seven whom she saw as a reflection of larger community themes of drugs, alcohol and domestic violence.

The documentary follows a woman married to a man with a drinking problem and charts her life dealing with her partner and five kids while earning an income for the family. Sinuon said that while her movie followed a family from the community, it was a story that can be seen anywhere in society.
https://vodenglish.news/indigenous-film ... -festival/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

July 5, 2022
Three Khmer films receive the most attention at CIFF

Three Khmer Movies were big hits at the 11th Cambodia International Film Festival (CIFF) last week – White Building, The Clock, and Everything will be OK – with all films filling movie houses when screened in Phnom Penh with event organisers and filmmakers remarking that this was the best CIFF ever.

CIFF director Cedric Eloy was so proud when he saw audience numbers surge and support theatres, which is a sign that Cambodia’s film sector has come a long way with film quality becoming better and why audiences are watching more movies. The quality of films saw movies pick up many awards in the country and abroad.

“In fact, I have all stats now. We had a total of 26,000 people watch movies at the festival, it’s the best CIFF attendance ever,” Eloy said yesterday.

Cambodia Film Commission executive director Cheap Sovichea, who is also co-founder of CIFF, expressed hope that after seeing the most successful CIFF ever that the next festival will be better due to the many quality films that appeal to audiences.

“We are currently preparing the report on audience numbers for each movie, and we will release it as soon as possible, but I noticed that White Building and The Clock attracted large audiences,” Sovichea said.

The Clock, spirits awakening, a movie from LD Picture Productions directed by Leak Lyda, who won many awards at the CIFF on June 15 at the Rosewood Hotel Phnom Penh was the most successful and there are plans to screen it abroad soon.

“The Clock earned six awards in the country and three awards from India including India Horror Bowl award, Talented Director, and Talented Actor,” Lyda said yesterday.

The Clock was first screened on November 21, 2019 and it was sold to cinemas in Thailand, Laos, and Singapore.

“The Clock is a movie that shows my talent and my team’s talent and now we have sold our talent outside the country and it brought some investors to collaborate with us after seeing The Clock,” he said.

“I promise to promote CIFF and raise up the film sector in Cambodia”, Lyda said, he added that The Clock will be screening in Indonesia in September this year.

He added that he had produced nearly 30 movies since LD Picture Productions was established in 2010. The Clock was created in Cambodia and it is 100% Khmer.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501106472/ ... n-at-ciff/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Trailer of The Clock, Dec 2021:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic