Whatzup - Breaking Cambodia Covid News on Outbreaks and Lockdowns

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Whatzup - Breaking Cambodia Covid News on Outbreaks and Lockdowns

Post by Doc67 »

ali baba wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:19 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:47 pmFirstly, the vaccine was made for a virus that's now mutated so much what's the point of taking any more of it.
Statements like this make it clear you don't understand how medicine or statistics work. Possibly both. There's been much discussion about the efficacy of vaccines over the past 2 years and most people recognise the value of reducing their risk of death and serious illness. If the efficacy falls from 99% to 66% it still has value (hypothetical numbers).

Fun fact: A malaria vaccine was released recently which requires 4 doses and provides 36% efficacy making it pointless in your eyes and a medical miracle to those who value the millions of lives it could save.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria_vaccine#RTS,S
Secondly, what is has mutated into, Omicron and all it's new variants, is far milder and had it started life that way we never would have had to go through lock downs etc.
People get annual flu vaccines if they choose. I don't have a problem with people updating their protection to covid.
Finally, it is a contradiction that say a person is fully vaccinated if they keep telling people their booster is due. They have millions of doses running out of date and they need arms to stick them into.
No one has been told their booster is due. Vaccination is completely voluntary in Cambodia and you are free to decline or even just ignore the offer to get a booster.
Figures may not lie but liars can figure and statistics are a great conduit for lies and manipulated 'facts'. The bigger the vested interest the bigger the risk of being mislead. Start with governments and work down the food chain.
Here's my statistics:
3 Shots and 2 infections.
Symptoms:
Infection #1 March 2021, (pre 1st shot) and probably Delta: Loss of taste and smell for 3 days;
Infection #2 February (post 3rd shot) and probably Omicron: Zero symptoms.

On that basis I am not having anymore because: (a) it didn't prevent a second infection; (b) prior infections are more protective than the vaccines and (c) nobody knows the long term effects of endless boosters on the immune system.

By the way, there are no statistics (real or not) that can prove the benefit of a 5th shot. Nor a 4th. All they can say for sure is the vaccines efficacy gets weaker over time, and not a lot of time. What they don't tell you is that 2 prior infections are better than any of these vaccines.

I am not talking about Marlaria, but I am very happy that that it works 1/3 of the time, and I didn't say it was pointless so please don't put words in my mouth.

People get annual flu vaccines if they choose. I don't have a problem with people updating their protection to covid.

The think they are updating their protection with a 5th shot and good luck to them. I'm not about stopping them. And whilst it is not mandatory the government is still promoting it without any scientific provable basis for such promotion. As I said, they have millions of doses and they need arms to stick them into otherwise they are headed for the dump, a point so far unchallenged.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

It's just as easy to mislead with anecdotes as with statistics. Frankly I don't care about your personal experience or anyone else's. There's all sorts of variables, variance and outliers out there, which can be ironed out when amalgamating data from millions of people.

If I were in gov't I wouldn't prioritise spending on additional covid boosters over other concerns. We're facing a massive overspend on covid whilst other ailments are neglected. As an end user I see no good reason not to acquire a free booster once every 6 months, though. My concern isn't about catching it, my concern is how sick I get afterwards, minimising the viral load so I don't pass it on to others, and reducing transmission rates so that it mutates slower.
I am not talking about Marlaria, but I am very happy that that it works 1/3 of the time, and I didn't say it was pointless so please don't put words in my mouth.
Fair enough. I understand your point more clearly now.
Scarier than malaria.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

ali baba wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:28 pm It's just as easy to mislead with anecdotes as with statistics. Frankly I don't care about your personal experience or anyone else's. There's all sorts of variables, variance and outliers out there, which can be ironed out when amalgamating data from millions of people.

If I were in gov't I wouldn't prioritise spending on additional covid boosters over other concerns. We're facing a massive overspend on covid whilst other ailments are neglected. As an end user I see no good reason not to acquire a free booster once every 6 months, though. My concern isn't about catching it, my concern is how sick I get afterwards, minimising the viral load so I don't pass it on to others, and reducing transmission rates so that it mutates slower.
Fair enough. I understand your point more clearly now.
Thing is at this time nobody really knows, and it is coming across that Cambodia are testing for China. Then again, the health authorities say there is no covid in the country.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

June 26, 2022
261,399 in Cambodia have received 5th dose of COVID-19 vaccine, an increase of almost 59,000 in a week
Cambodia is striving ahead with its vaccination campaign in almost all age sectors, from the age of three to adults aged 18 and above to keep the COVID-19 virus and its new variants at bay.

Towards this end, approximately 58,691 people have received the 5th dose of the vaccine since the campaign for the 5th dose was launched on June 9, 2022.

Since June 9 to June 25, 261,399 have received the fifth dose, encouraged by the Government to contain any new variants of the virus, especially sublineage of the Omicron variant of concern of COVID-19.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501101187/ ... in-a-week/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

And here I was double vaccinated a year ago accepted to travel anywhere except Philippines as far as I know, and thinking covid is dead.
Is someone telling Porky's
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

10 new Covid cases in Cambodia
Post Staff | Publication date 29 June 2022 | 11:18 ICT
The Ministry of Health on June 29 reported 10 new Covid-19 cases, eight of which were detected in the community and the others on inbound travellers.

As of June 29, Cambodia had recorded a total of 136,272 Covid-19 cases with 133,206 recoveries and 3,056 fatalities.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... s-cambodia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Covid-19 alert at entry points again after cases reemerge

Following the reemergence of Covid-19 cases in the country, the Health Ministry has ramped up monitoring at all air, water and land entry points.
Rapid tests will be carried out on inbound travellers who display symptoms of the dieases and PCR tests are mandatory for those who test positive.
The ministry has also reintroduced free RDT (rapid diagnostic test) and PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests at all public hospitals in bid to encourage people who suspect they have Covid-19 to go for checks.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501103729/ ... -reemerge/
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Strict checking of vaccination docs last night on check-in at SGN and then on arrival at PNH
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Dr Vandine slams allegations of expired vaccines use in Kingdom

MoH Secretary of State Dr Or Vandine responded to rumours that Cambodia was using AstraZeneca vaccines that were pass their expiration date and said that it is untrue.
The Secretary of State made the remark on the evening of June 29 and said that the Ministry of Health absolutely bans the use of vaccines that have already expired. She also added that the Committee has never had any vaccines left in the warehouse until its expiration date.

“This is a fabrication and a poisonous characterization, and we have a very strict monitoring of the vaccine that we are using. I would like to inquire for more specific information [of alleged use of expired vaccine], where is the doctor, which district, which province and what is his name? So that I can do more research, but I would like to confirm that so far there are no vaccines left in stock that have expired,” Dr Vandine said.

Cambodia has received and used a variety of Covid-19 vaccines, including: Sinovac, Sinopharm, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna and Pfizer. All of the vaccine in circulation in the Kingdom are on the WHO Urgent Use List.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501104180/ ... n-kingdom/
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

COVID-19: 7 More Cases Detected
AKP Phnom Penh, June 30, 2022 --

Cambodia’s Ministry of Health reported 7 new cases of COVID-19, all are locally transmitted; bringing the tally to 136,279, according to the ministry’s news release issued this morning.

At the same time, there is neither new recovered nor death cases; the total cured cases and death toll remain at 133,206 and 3,056, respectively.

The Kingdom began to detect new cases of COVID-19 since yesterday, after 52 days of zero infection.
C. Nika

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic