Official bank statement or self printed for visa?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Official bank statement or self printed for visa?

Post by down_time »

For proof of financial resources for a UK tourist visa for a Cambodian can you use a statement you print yourself from the ABA app or do you have to get it printed by them and signed and stamped? I just printed one out and noticed the disclaimer on the bottom (image below). I've not done this for a few years and not sure what I did last time.

Anyone done this recently? Which did you supply?

Edit: Forgot to mention staff at the bank say other people just print their own for visa applications but I don't really trust the opinion of someone working at ABA.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Official bank statement or self printed for visa?

Post by Kammekor »

Maybe add a 'mini statement' from an ATM? Hard to fake that one.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

When applying for a Visa you want to do everything possible to ensure that the application is successful, don't leave anything to chance...go and get an official signed and stamped statement from the bank, they are used to providing these for Visa applications.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

If you’ve spotted the disclaimer already, there’s a good chance someone else might. I’ve found Tuol Kork branches to be pretty competent, amenable and quick.

I’d like to pick your brains re your experiences with visas to UK, before. PM coming shortly
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

It is very easy to get a stamped letter from the bank confirming your account & balance, etc. It is the route I took when taking my wife to the UK, no issues at all.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:48 am When applying for a Visa you want to do everything possible to ensure that the application is successful, don't leave anything to chance...go and get an official signed and stamped statement from the bank, they are used to providing these for Visa applications.
Good advice certainly but the individual concerned has already been approved for a visa 8+ times without any issue. I was more interested if anyone recently had used an self printed ABA statement. In the absence of confirmation that someone has done this I would certainly tell them to get an official copy.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:50 am I’d like to pick your brains re your experiences with visas to UK, before. PM coming shortly
Replied to your PM.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

This is a timely topic as I found myself needing this also.

Firstly, I tried the 'mini-statement' at the ATM at the ABA 24hr place near Croisette on Riverside. Printed something out but made no sense so that looks like a technical issue on the day.

Side issue: when that 24hr place first opened it was nice and cool with aircon and these days whenever I go there the aircon is either broken/not fixed or they're trying to save on the power bill. Meaning that if you have anything other than a quick transaction and no fans, you sweat like a pig in there.. OTOH Acleda has opened up one of these 24hr places with a security guard at the front on Riverside too..next to Smart shop near St 108 and yes, the aircon works.

I decided then to go to an ABA branch to get an official statement. My prior experience at the small, old place at the Central Market branch was dismal with it being too busy, lack of moto parking space and staff less than friendly (albeit, I gather the new one on the adjacent corner is maybe better now), so I went to the Mittapheap Branch on St 110 near the railway station. Nice branch that.. good size, cool aircon and staff seemed friendly and plenty of moto parking. Went early just after opening and served straight away with only a few customers at the time.

So we got the official stamped bank statements easily, the only thing is they said they only give a transaction history to a maximum of 6 months. I asked her twice whether we can have longer but no. Mentioned it was for visa purposes and she even said other foreigners had got the same for the same purpose and was OK. $2 per statement but free if less than 4 pages.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:54 am So we got the official stamped bank statements easily, the only thing is they said they only give a transaction history to a maximum of 6 months. I asked her twice whether we can have longer but no. Mentioned it was for visa purposes and she even said other foreigners had got the same for the same purpose and was OK. $2 per statement but free if less than 4 pages.
Interesting, in the end they got a "confirmation of funds" letter as opposed to a statement, I do hope that is not a problem!? It's just a signed, stamped letter from ABA confirming the balance of the account as opposed to a statement containing transactions. As the visa only talks about proof of being able to support oneself during the proposed travel dates I would think that is fine no? $10 for the privilege seems awfully steep!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:54 am So we got the official stamped bank statements easily, the only thing is they said they only give a transaction history to a maximum of 6 months. I asked her twice whether we can have longer but no. Mentioned it was for visa purposes and she even said other foreigners had got the same for the same purpose and was OK. $2 per statement but free if less than 4 pages.
While it does seem odd that they cannot produce a statement that covers a full year, at the very least, are there really countries that ask for more than 6 months history when applying for a visa?

So far I've encountered the following requirements: Just the current balance, 3 months, 6 months. Never seen or heard anyone being asked for more than 6 months.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic