Media coverage of recent events

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Media coverage of recent events

Post by phuketrichard »

OK
Here we have it
17 killed in France, world is outraged, world leaders march and call for an end to terrorism

2,000 killed in Nigeria...... What? i didn't know that

well here is what happened; ( no it did not make front page news)

Consider two tragic events that took place last week.

A small cell of Islamic terrorists attacked cartoonists at the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo and shoppers in a Paris supermarket, killing 17 people and sparking international outcry, solidarity and support.

The hashtag #JeSuisCharlie trended globally, and world leaders took to the streets to march in support of Parisian resilience.

In northern Nigeria, meanwhile, an army of Islamic extremists razed the village of Baga, killing as many as 2,000 people – mostly women and children who were unable to flee the attacks.

Later in the week, the same army – Boko Haram – introduced a horrific new weapon of war in the nearby city of Maiduguri. They strapped explosives to the body of a ten year old girl and sent her into the city’s main poultry market. The girl was stopped by guards and a metal detector at the market’s entrance, but the bomb detonated and killed at least 19.
Black lived DONT MATTER? OR

Reasons behind uneven media attention
There are many reasons why the attacks on targets in Paris have received vastly more media attention than the attacks in Baga.

Paris is a highly connected global city with thousands of working journalists, while Baga is isolated, difficult and dangerous to reach. The attacks on Charlie Hebdo targeted journalists, and it’s understandable that journalists would cover the death of their comrades. The attacks in Paris were a shock and a surprise, while deaths at the hands of Boko Haram have become distressingly common in an insurgency that has claimed over 10,000 lives since 2009.

The details of the Baga attacks, where civilians fled a marauding army into the swamps of Lake Chad, where they faced attacks from hippos, are almost impossible for audiences in developed nations to empathize with.

By contrast it’s tragically easy for most North Americans and Europeans to imagine terrorists striking in their cities.
http://theconversation.com/media-covera ... asts-36225
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Media coverage of recent events

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I heard about Nigeria pretty quickly, but I think the reasons for the lack of coverage are pretty self-explanatory. I don't get why people are all outraged by the lack of coverage. Some people don't seem to understand how the media works, which is pretty sad in the 21st century. This is nothing new.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

1. If someone is killed in my home, it is of more more interest to me than if ten people were killed in another town. If an attack takes place in my country, it is of more interest to me than if an attack takes place in another country. The recent attack in Paris is of interest to European media for obvious reasons...and the US is probably No. 1 on the Islamofascist list for such an attack, so it is of high interest to Americans and American news outlets too. We have less worry about similar attacks from Boko Haram at this point. That could always change.

2. The massive killings in Nigeria were definitely front page news here in the US and it was all over cable news channels like CNN as well. Had that horrible slaughter in Nigeria been caught on video, like the Paris attacks and 9/11, then that video would be played non-stop on the world news even days or weeks later. Video catches people's attention more than talking heads, which is all we have concerning the Nigeria attack.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Soi Dog, i agree what happens in ur back yard is more interesting
but its also what will sell more newspapers so get more attention ( airtime)

Look at the covering of the KR era> very little because no one was there or allowed to report an what came out no one wanted to believe

and africa is way down most peoples list

VIDEO!!! yes, bring it on
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

If news coverage was based on body count, then it would be nearly all-Syria-all-the-time for the past two years. I don't want to watch news about Syria every day. If CNN showed Syria atrocities all the time, I would stop watching CNN.

I'm not sure what your point is. You can easily find sources of news that focus more on your areas of interest and tell the stories you want to hear. Most media outlets are private, for-profit organizations. Why wouldn't they concentrate their time and resources on what viewers want to see? Publicly funded news outlets that only report on what their management think viewers should know about, as opposed to what their potential audience wants to know about, get practically no viewers...but they do exist (by sucking taxpayers money for a service very few want or support).
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I started a thread on the recent massacres in Nigeria 2 days ago - it has 0 comments and 37 views. The media information is out there, but not the interest.

Paris was "news" because it was a rare event and hits close to home for many. The violence in Nigeria - a bit like the war in Syria - is on-going and massacres there (rightly or not) are not "news". Terrible things are going on in Libya at the moment and elsewhere, but there seems to be a saturation point, past which you switch off.

If anything, there is too much information to absorb. People's concentration spans are becoming smaller. It's just the way it is. For those who want to inform themselves, there are countless articles available on the net.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic