Motorcycle helmet

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Motorcycle helmet

Post by AndyKK »

Motorcycle helmet - How safe is your head and wellbeing.

I don't particularly have any faith in the motorcycle helmets I have had over the years in Cambodia, most seem to be made from thin plastics, of poor quality and ill fitting. What's your opinion on this subject, not forgetting a helmet could be a life saver?

I decided to go and have a look around, seeing what alternatives were available. I ended up buying two helmets from the same shop, though at different times.

This was the first purchase, a helmet manufactured in India, a very good fit, comfortable and well-constructed. I was concerned about the weight of the helmet at first, being 1400g, but it sits well balanced when worn, there is also no noises whatsoever from the helmet when travelling on the bike. The cost $55.

The second helmet is that of an open face, made in Thailand, again a very good fit and well made, ideally good for around town, and shorter journeys, although that too is a decision for debate, being that a full-face helmet gives you more protection. The cost $20.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Motorcycle helmet

Post by Username Taken »

Ideally you should be looking for a helmet from a well-known brand, with either DOT or ECE certification.

It appears that you can get Zeus and LS2 helmets in Phnom Penh.

But, if they're asking top dollar for brand name helmets, then you need to keep an eye out for fakes.
There are a couple of videos on this link on how to spot a fake.
https://www.headsdontbounce.com/motorcy ... e-helmets/
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:01 am Ideally you should be looking for a helmet from a well-known brand, with either DOT or ECE certification.

It appears that you can get Zeus and LS2 helmets in Phnom Penh.

But, if they're asking top dollar for brand name helmets, then you need to keep an eye out for fakes.
There are a couple of videos on this link on how to spot a fake.
https://www.headsdontbounce.com/motorcy ... e-helmets/
Good post, and good informative article. The helmet's I had purchased are DOT certified, but many cheap Cambodian helmets on the market are too.
:facepalm:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Cambodian helmets seem an effort towards mild lip service. They might provide some scuff protection, and maybe a glancing clout from a small stone as it drops back towards the ground. I cannot see the shite that swmbo has begrudgingly purchased giving any serious protection. But it’s a start.

What the authorities need to do is mandate proper protection, and crucially impose penalties for the deliberate sale of unfit goods. Remove the trash from circulation. But that would require a proper safety driven effort. Baby steps. When a senior politician or Okhna loses a child due to a worthless helmet, then maybe.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I don't trust here at all, imported mine via Amazon/DHL.

Re DOT/ECE/Snell standards, this is one heck of a good overall motorbike channel to follow that covers a fair amount on helmets.

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

When you test a helmet to the point of serious damage, then it becomes very clear the benefits. I was dragged into motocross as a teenager, and a decent helmet is the reason I’m still here today, much to many peoples disgust. Helmet was toast.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

It doesn’t matter if your helmet cost $20-, or cost $200-; if it’s stowed in the shopping basket when you come off your bike, speaking from experience here.

On a side note, how effective are those ridiculous little skullcap helmets the ‘real bikers’ wear?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:14 pm I don't trust here at all, imported mine via Amazon/DHL.

Re DOT/ECE/Snell standards, this is one heck of a good overall motorbike channel to follow that covers a fair amount on helmets.
For the record: As anal as Australian rules/laws/authorities can be, ECE is actually legally accepted in the land down under.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Hi any info on reasonable price to pay and location of helmets. Full face required.

Thanks in advance. :hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic