be happy ur not gay and enjoy weed or a drink now and than

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

be happy ur not gay and enjoy weed or a drink now and than

Post by phuketrichard »

South Thailand’s Muslim leaders reject weed, liquor, and same-sex partnerships
South Thailand’s Muslim leaders are rejecting the Kingdom’s growing liberalism on 3 issues. On Thursday (June 23), Muslim representatives from Yala, Narathiwat, Songkhla, Satun, and Pattani provinces, read a statement against 3 draft bills. Those bills were the Cannabis and Hemp Bill, the Progressive Liquor Act, and the Civil Partnership Bill.

Thailand’s Cannabis and Hemp Bill allows people to grow cannabis at home, although there is still confusion over some technicalities. Officials have still banned Cannabis use in areas such as schools and military premises. The Progressive Liquor Act will allow Thais to brew and sell their own alcohol. The law it still in its first stages, but if it goes ahead it will be revolutionary for Thailand’s alcohol industry.

The Civil Partnership Bill bill will allow same-sex couples to ‘register’ their partnership, not get legally married.
https://thethaiger.com/news/south/south ... SmC9_cYIRI
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: be happy ur not gay and enjoy weed or a drink now and than

Post by hanno »

Thailand should just give back the Southern provinces; it would solve a lot of problems.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Of course those fucks reject all three changes, anything else would have been a major surprise.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

More than many religions, Islam really has outlived its usefulness or relevance, if it even had much in the first place.

A good pint and a bacon sandwich on their way to Mecca Bingo might help them get a grip.
I recommend HP sauce for the buttie, but for adherents; I respect your choice.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

hanno wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:59 am Thailand should just give back the Southern provinces; it would solve a lot of problems.
It wouldn't stop their bitching and they'd only demand more autonomous area .... If they can't live peacefully alongside Buddhists & want a Muslim State go back to Malaysia or Indonesia where they came from.

Just like the Royhinga in Myanmar .... Sneak across a border, hang out quiet for awhile and then start claiming land from the Buddhists.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Have any refugee fled to a Muslim controlled country
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

atst wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:34 pm Have any refugee fled to a Muslim controlled country
Top 10 Countries Hosting the Highest Number of International Refugees (mid-2021 data):

Turkey — 3,696,831
Jordan — 3,027,729
Uganda — 1,475,311
Pakistan — 1,438,523
Lebanon — 1,338,197
Germany — 1,235,160
Sudan — 1,068,339
Bangladesh — 889,775
Iran — 800,025
Ethiopia — 782,896
As you might notice, seven out of the ten countries with the most refugees are Muslim majority. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

atst wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:34 pm Have any refugee fled to a Muslim controlled country
Wasn't it illegal/frowned upon for many citizens to travel to those countries, to the extent you had a problem if you came back? That pretty much describes refugee status, or is in reverse?

Anyway, to the OP, can we still be happy if we are gay? Because we're not there?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s a curious thing about alcohol, and Islamic official hysteria on the subject. And pork.

I’ve been based in 4 different Muslim countries, and in all, the locals drank alcohol, in some cases, often to excess. For some, drinking was almost a status activity. Often though, it was the preserve of middle class and up, due to the cost.
I’ve worked with colleagues from many more predominantly muslim countries.

(Bangladesh quietly, or not so, also has a drug problem, (and with it an inferred HIV issue) Not necessarily to the extent that it is here in Cambodia, but there’s areas of Dhaka where it’s not advised to be after dark, and one regularly cited reason was the smoking problem. That was from a decade or so, ago.
Among the hip crowd, smoking certain recreational pharmaceuticals was the norm.)
But I digress.

In Kazakhstan, I once commented to our operations department manager about his alcohol consumption. He blurringly told me that they had vodka long before they ever had Islam. I’ve not tested his assertions in a library, though. A more reasonable colleague once confirmed a comment that I’ve heard from several other, and very diverse, sources. That the restrictions on alcohol are not absolute. Not haram.
A tiny little chap who was very senior in his country’s civil aviation authority and moderately faithful, told me that most people don’t actually know their Koran very well, and so simply follow the demands of their scholars. He was quite emphatic about the points on behaviour and care around alcohol. Not haram. Just don’t be pissed when you go to the mosque…. We often imbibed a few beers over a good rack of ribs.
His comments on pork also tend to go against the official grain.

I’ve heard these same views expressed by well educated, and very talented professionals from Central Asia, south east Asia, Middle East, northern, western, and Southern Africa.
I watched more than one well placed Saudi topple sideways after too much Scotch. They’re the people who claim mecca. Which is curious, as mecca is for all of Islam, and so I’d have thought it would more logically be a state of its own, rather like the Vatican. That other shining example of human benevolence.

So, I’m not much of a fan of the hypocrisy that surrounds this particular….faith, and which is shovelled like so much fertilizer.
Much in the same way that an intolerable drunk of any denomination in a bar is to be avoided; how I’ll not entertain Jehova’s witnesses being pushy at the door, despite counting one or two as close associates/near friends (because they don’t try to ram it down your throat), and one or two other examples of my own intolerance of the intolerable.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic