The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:56 pm Making Chapatti

I can't give you weights and measures, because I have never used them.

Put some Plain Flour in a dish, add salt for taste and a very little oil (I mean just a drop or two).
Add boiled water (but let it cool enough so you're not going to burn your hand).
When adding the just off the boil water, use a fork to mix the flour and water together, keeping the ingredients on the dry side, then knead the dough and let it stand for 5 minutes.
Split the dough into portions, roll in your hands a small ball, flour the rolling surface and squash down the dough ball on the surface, and roll out, but keep turning it over, once rolled transfer it to a hot dry frying pan, when you see the chapatti bubble up, turn it over and cook the other side.
I used to have a tava, a heavy but very shallow sideless frying pan for chapatis. Onece they had changed colour (become lighter) as the moisture evaporates and were nearly done, I took them off with big tongs and held them over a naked flame for a few seconds on each side. This causes the remaining moisture inside to expand very quickly and puff out the chapati.

When it goes right it is very good but... if you do it too early when there's too much moisture you'll just burn the outside before they puff up, too late and there's no moisture to create the puff-out and they will just burn. It's very easy to get wrong!

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Tonight, the homemade curry is Dhaba Style Keema (roadside restaurants) served with rice and chapati.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:35 pm Nice plates by the way, they make the food look even better.
Thanks, thought I would buy some new ones today, so I went to the 2500reil shop, and the plates are priced at 3000reil each. :facepalm:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Goodness Me! It’s Gluten Free

Let’s start with a little history, green curry evolved during the reign of King Rama VI or Rama VII, between the years 1908-1926.
Thai Green Curry, is not exactly fixed with its ingredients and will certainly vary from areas and restaurants. Obviously, the name of the dish comes from its colour being “green” that colour comes from the use of green chilies. Traditional Thai green curry recipes just rely on the “hua kati” fresh coconut cream to provide the sweetness, there are some recipes that use added sugar. No sugar was added to this dish.
There is many food outlets and restaurants in Phnom Penh, but good ones you could count on your hands, this one in all honesty gets my vote of being one of the good ones.

The cook “Kunthea” she’s that of a perfectionist, professional, clean, offering dishes of fresh ingredients. Regarding the “Authentic Thai Green Curry” it's not the hottest Thai green curry I have had before, but it is an honest dish, where you can taste all the ingredients on offer, and I like that.

Authentic Thai Green Curry, served with fresh egg salad and rice. Photos from my phone.

rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Thank you so much for the review Andy, we are hoping to have Thai Green Curry on the menu by tomorrow.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:16 am Thank you so much for the review Andy, we are hoping to have Thai Green Curry on the menu by tomorrow.
Maybe you would add a Thai Red Curry too your menu.

Regards to the review I made; I would like to stress to members that the review of the dish was an honest personal revision of my opinion of the dish, with no outside input, or a biased review being that the owner is a member. I tell it straightforward has it is.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:50 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:16 am Thank you so much for the review Andy, we are hoping to have Thai Green Curry on the menu by tomorrow.
Maybe you would add a Thai Red Curry too your menu.

Regards to the review I made; I would like to stress to members that the review of the dish was an honest personal revision of my opinion of the dish, with no outside input, or a biased review being that the owner is a member. I tell it straightforward has it is.
Since we are on the subject (or I am) of "Goodness Me! It’s Gluten Free" I purchased two shop items from them, can't quote on the Oyster sauce due to not trying, but the Soy sauce is good.

atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:41 am
atst wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:35 pm Nice plates by the way, they make the food look even better.
Thanks, thought I would buy some new ones today, so I went to the 2500reil shop, and the plates are priced at 3000reil each. :facepalm:
It's Putin's fault :stir:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Was a tad busy this morning, and didn't want to cook dinner and then my evening meal.
Rice and Popedom's I have in and don't take no effort, but the curry is from Idly Dosa.

Kerala Chicken Curry

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Namaste India Restaurant - Lamb Bhuna Gosht.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic