furnishing my flat

This is where you can buy and sell anything you want in Cambodia! There is no 'Craigslist Cambodia,' so this is the next best thing. Most items for sale are in Phnom Penh, but this is a buy and sell section for the whole country. Many expats and tourists have new and used items to sell, so anyone can list them here. CEO has no part in these sales, so buyers and sellers need to get in contact with each other themselves. You're always welcome to list items you're giving away for free, as we encourage the community to give when they can. Amazon and eBay ship select items to Cambodia, but you save time and money when you do things locally.
UK Steve
Tourist
Great Britain

furnishing my flat

Post by UK Steve »

Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest the best shops or other places, where I can buy furniture for my flat?
I pretty much need everything from beds, dining table, chairs, sofa, coffee table, mirrors, shelving, washing machine, fridge etc.

In terms of budget, I'd be happy with mid price furniture, like Ikea, but realise there isn't an Ikea in Cambodia.
Has anyone bought off Facebook marketplace in Phnom Penh?
Has anyone had any furniture made locally?

I appreciate any suggestions or recommendations you can give as I'm new to Phnom Penh.

Thanks

Steve
Advertisement
CamboQuick Cambodia Amazon Shipping
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: furnishing my flat

Post by AndyKK »

Khmer24
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

As Andy says- Khmer24. App and browser.

Occasionally, there’s stuff for sale on the forum, and on 440 as well.

Steer clear of most of the rubbish on FB. It’s garbage.

I’d suggest don’t accrue too much stuff unless you are sure you’re staying in one location, long term. The idea of furnished apartments here ranges from-

Has everything you need
To
Has the remains of what no one else wants anymore.

Be especially careful of market bought electrical. SWMBO bought an extension multi block with USB outputs, which caught fire with just a phone connected.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

UK Steve wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:01 pm Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest the best shops or other places, where I can buy furniture for my flat?
I pretty much need everything from beds, dining table, chairs, sofa, coffee table, mirrors, shelving, washing machine, fridge etc.

In terms of budget, I'd be happy with mid price furniture, like Ikea, but realise there isn't an Ikea in Cambodia.
Has anyone bought off Facebook marketplace in Phnom Penh?
Has anyone had any furniture made locally?

I appreciate any suggestions or recommendations you can give as I'm new to Phnom Penh.

Thanks

Steve
As I understand it, Ikea do deliver from Thailand, so you can buy on-line.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Global House
and nearby is Makro & Sofa design center
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

When driving on streets you see "mom & pop shop" style furniture stores where they have wood furnitures. Those can be surprisingly cheap many times. For example when you leave from Aeon 1 towards Norodom Boulevard. There are multiple this type stores Map link https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dara+ ... 04.9290912

Also custom made furnitures can be affordable too but you will need some khmer speaking with you then. Recently I had custom built wooded coffee table and few wooded dining table chairs made. All came under $200.

For electronics Sunsimexco, K-four, Aeon. Electronics, furniture etc. Global House, Design Village. Latter two are in Sen Sok area. You can find some decent priced Japanese furnitures from Japan Home Centre too. They have stores all over Phnom Penh and they have online store too.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:11 am As Andy says- Khmer24. App and browser.

Occasionally, there’s stuff for sale on the forum, and on 440 as well.

I’d suggest don’t accrue too much stuff unless you are sure you’re staying in one location, long term. The idea of furnished apartments here ranges from-

Has everything you need
To
Has the remains of what no one else wants anymore.
When I moved from Koh Kong to Phnom Penh I had most of the furnishings, I sold some of the items, in return that gave me the cash for the removal, because that's what it is all about "paying the fee to move your belongings form one place to another".
On the other hand, like you have suggested, there are furnished apartments to be had, but I think at a premium price, but you pay either way for what you get.
The apartment I rent is over the other side of the river (just entered my 4th year) basically it's a ground floor shophouse (2 floors) with parking space outside $120 rent per month (unfurnished) plus government priced bills, and $5 unlimited Wi-Fi, the rent has stayed the same from day one, apart from covid lockdown when the landlord waived the rent for that month. Of course, your neighbours will be Khmer, but we are in Cambodia, also the drinking spots maybe not to a westerner's choice, but PassApp will get you to any bar on riverside for $2.
I had also had ties with Kampong Cham with my late partner having the family home there, Years back I rented a small room furnished with a bed, bills again government rate, good location just one street back from riverside, $50 rent per month. I took the same room on recently when at the time my partner was admitted into the hospital at Kampong Cham, it was convenient to at least go there and shower at the time. That didn't really work out, because I had no choice but to bring her back to Phnom Penh. Now I must return to the apartment and give up the tenancy agreement due to having no ties there now. I am just glad it's not furnished with my own belongings, because it can be a pain to get removals, but again like always it mainly comes down to cost.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Shops surrounding Central market for electronics. I recommend the one on the corner of St 130.
The corner of Norodom and Sotheros/ Mao has good quality wood and ratan furniture.
Monivong between St 310 and 360 for office furniture.
Closer to Monivong bridge for beds.
Scarier than malaria.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I recently bought a new bed sofa from New Steung Mean Chey Market with free delivery, free delivery is often offered with most goods. But if any members find themselves stuck for moving something (one or two items) feel free to send me a PM, I have my 3-wheeler pick-up that may come in handy :)
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:19 am Global House
and nearby is Makro & Sofa design center
I'm with this one - bought plenty from Global House & whilst very Ikea-esque, fits the budget & does the job. Plus it has everything under one roof which is what you need from the sound of it.

Definitely the other options are sound also, Khmer24 & even here/TOF you can pickup things on a much cheaper budget. There is also a set of wooden furniture stores on the corner of Mao Tse Toung/ 100m from Norodom Blvd down near Aeon 1. I had bought stuff from there before and they tend to have real wood, not veneer Ikea stuff, but also a load of that cheaper wicker type furniture if that fits the bill better. [edit, sorry just saw Alib also posted the same, another thumbs up!]
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic