Place to get textbooks in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
johnnywalker3
Expatriate

Place to get textbooks in Phnom Penh?

Post by johnnywalker3 »

I am looking for a few textbooks for several subjects. Is there a place in town that might have a decent selection available? I'm looking for books that are used in the US or UK systems and mostly for primary or early secondary. Would really love to find used or second hand so they would not be expensive. If anyone knows of a way to get them online that would be great too. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Place to get textbooks

Post by Jerry Atrick »

download from the pirate bay (or other torrent tracker site) and have a shop print them
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Not quite an answer to your query, but have you considered online home schooling ideas? The school run being one.
While our foray into this didn’t last for long, it was for other reasons.

https://www.theschoolrun.com/
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Over the years, I have found the best place to get text books in several languages and from various countries is at:

International Book Center
#250, Street Preah Monivong Blvd (93)
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM · +855 23 221 788

There are several floors to this large store so be sure to either walk up through the floors and see what takes your interest or take the lift up to the top floor where most of the books are. These are, of course, all new books. There are a number of IBC stores in Phnom Penh but this is by far the largest and best stocked.

OML
johnnywalker3
Expatriate

Re: Place to get textbooks in Phnom Penh?

Post by johnnywalker3 »

Thanks for the suggestions. The idea is that I wanted to at least flip through some books to compare options. I tried pirate bay but there were no results for 2 very popular books so I guess they don't have much educational material on there or I'm doing it wrong. I haven't used torrents since limewire but I remember almost anything being available there. Will check out IBC on Monivong too and I appreciate the link to the homeschool site.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Place to get textbooks in Phnom Penh?

Post by Spigzy »

I bought a few off Amazon - perhaps not the cheapest route versus online copies/print, but I wanted the genuine article & to compare my son's progress at school versus where I was myself at his age. Not with the best results I would have to say..

This is the type of book I grew up with, and available via Amazon.co.uk (can't find on .com where I tend to buy from usually) -

Longer story for anyone interested
Spoiler:
Not wishing to digress too much, but my "Superstar grade A" son at a reputable international school here is struggling at age 8 with maths I could do age 6. I've enjoyed spending more time with him on this than just reading bedtime stories, etc. I'd say he can still do the papers I linked here, but maybe just 80-90% pass rate, if I threw him the 8 year old papers, probably around 60%.

I recall doing test papers from the 60s when I was at school in the 80s, and they were damned near impossible even for the best student in the class (not me!), so I'm looking at this with an open mind that the education system really is starting to fail kids in the pursuit of "participation medals" and not offending anyone that their kid is actually daft as a brush. Anything that is hard, or the weakest of the pack can't do is shunned. So it is definitely worth keeping an eye on here, if my son was to sit the 11+ in the UK, he'd struggle as it stands I think - unless the test has become easier in the last 20 years (likely?). But ignoring passing tests at whatever level is there for the plebs, I think we need to strive for greater things as parents, so I'm knuckling down on the little guy to get him at the level I was at - he's super bright, and doesn't shirk the challenge. I'd implore other parents to look carefully at this as the OP does - well done sir - sure little Johnny (not walker! :D) may be a superstar at school here, but check in on them & be directly involved in their education where possible.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic