Officers to the Rescue are Attacked by Drug Addict

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Officers to the Rescue are Attacked by Drug Addict

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, Kandal Province: On June 14, 2020 at midday, a man suspected of taking drugs wielded a knife to stab a guard and a policeman at the suspect's house in Muk Kompoul district, Kandal province.
The police officer of Muk Kompoul district said that the two victims of the attack were:
1: Rony Kimri, a male, a 23-year-old, a Khmer Muslim, the village security guard(seriously injured),
2: Chhun Sophal, a male, age 35, Khmer national police officer career (light injury).
The suspect named El Karim, a 20-year-old male, a Khmer Muslim, with a fake profession, lives in Chroy Metrey Ler Village, Rusey Chroy Commune, Muk Kompol District, Kandal Province, (with a suspected fractured head injury).

The suspect's mother had called the Rusey Chroy administrative police station, asking for help to restrain her son, who is a drug addict, and prevent him from disturbing his family and neighbors.
After receiving the news the police force and security force arrived and found the suspect sleeping in the basement, so the officers called to the suspect to open the door, but the suspect refused to come out. Then, all of a sudden, as a number of the officers were standing by the locked door, the suspect abruptly opened the door and ran out with a sharp knife in his hand and stabbed the security guard, Rony Kimri. The suspect then ran into the house with a sharp knife in his hand, followed closely by the local intervention forces.
But then,the suspect stabbed one of our police officers, Chhun Sophal, and took the knife and kept stabbing our police force, who had caught the suspect, but were under attack as he stabbed at the police. By this time, the neighbors had gathered around to see what was happening, and many of them gave a helping hand to the police forces to arrest and beat up the suspect.

Police then took the suspect to the district police station.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Officers to the Rescue are Attacked by Drug Addict

Post by John Bingham »

Imagine the fucktardery the average policeman here has to deal with on a day to day basis?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:43 am Imagine the fucktardery the average policeman here has to deal with on a day to day basis?
This whole situation is terrible, but it happens all the time, particularly in the countryside - families who have to live with violent drug addicts or untreated mentally illness with little support from outside.

In this case, the mother of the drug addict calls the local police station to keep her family and neighbors safe. But the local cops are not equipped for this "rescue". Doing their best maybe, but they intervene as subtly as a herd of elephants, and get stabbed in the process.

At best, the drug addict will get taken away, dried out, and released into his family to start the whole thing again. Frankly, it's lose-lose for everyone. And no, I don't have any answers, except making mental health centres more accessible and better equipped in the provinces.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Wonder what being Khmer Muslim has to do with the story, totally agree with the shit some of these local cops have to put up with, they deserve better pay.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:52 am Wonder what being Khmer Muslim has to do with the story, totally agree with the shit some of these local cops have to put up with, they deserve better pay.
I think it's likely to be because of being a minority like many other small groups around the world. Could say the article is worded wrongly, has it may cause offence.

Extracts from Wikipedia -

In 2009, the Pew Research Center estimated that 1.6% of the population, or 236,000 people were Muslims. According to statistics from the Cambodian Ministry of Cults and Religion, there are around 361,483 Muslims in the country as of 2016. As of 2016, data from the Ministry also recorded 884 mosques scattered all throughout Cambodia.

Islam is the religion of a majority of the Cham (also called Khmer Islam) and Malay minorities in Cambodia. According to Po Dharma, there were 150,000 to 200,000 Muslims in Cambodia as late as 1975. Persecution under the Khmer Rouge eroded their numbers, however, and by the late 1980s they probably had not regained their former strength. In 2009, the Pew Research Center estimated that 1.6% of the population, or 236,000 people were Muslims. Like other Muslim Cham people, those in Cambodia are Sunni Muslims of the Shafi'i denomination and following the Maturidi doctrine. Po Dharma divides the Muslim Cham in Cambodia into a traditionalist branch and an orthodox branch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Cambodia

I agree with your quotes - "agree with the shit some of these local cops have to put up with, they deserve better pay".
But things change with society, I would think and expect even more with a developing country, because of this fact I think the authorities and policing are in need better training towards the changes.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:20 am
John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:43 am Imagine the fucktardery the average policeman here has to deal with on a day to day basis?

At best, the drug addict will get taken away, dried out, and released into his family to start the whole thing again. Frankly, it's lose-lose for everyone
Stabbed a cop = he will do hard time
mossie
Expatriate
Finland

Post by mossie »

That's absolutely goddamn right JB. It's just the global phenomenon, and I think the KOW isn't by far the hotspot of this kind of bs. Just my three point five cents, I'm kind of very very drunk atm.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic