Where did all the tuk-tuks come from?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Where did all the tuk-tuks come from?

Post by Alex »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:29 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:18 pm Well, originally......general-chatter/the-history-the-auto-ri ... 35702.html
Dont believe that communist propaganda . We all know what big tuk-tuks do, and they always end up with small baby tuk-tuks.
You don't say! I had always believed they grow on trees.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I much prefer the old moto-pulled trailer style tuk-tuks over these Indian style ones, but the Indian style ones are so much cheaper via the apps, even though most of the apps offer the old style tuk-tuks they are rarely available.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I'm quite sure you can still order the old style tuk-tuks on some of the apps. I did it not so long ago when I had a puncture on my bike while far away from home and knew it wouldn't fit in one of the small white ones. Can't remember which company I used though.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I think in 2019i spoke to one of the tuktuk-guys who always are outside Sharkys, i told me he paid together with his brother 1800 US and to have a decend motobike with a decend trailer behind, it would be 1000 more. And the main reason he changed, was the LPG it running on, which is much cheaper than the useal petrol. Thats why they ofcourse can run cheaper then the old tuktuks, and the platforms get maybe 15% from them, but its worth it, the old guys will lose all the customers if they dont modernise to the apps, its the 20th century. And ofcourse the constant hassle about price with the tuktuk-drivers is past sense, i usually ask to the tuktuks, do you run for same price as pass-app, if they do, they know i know the price already, if not, next one !!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

xandreu wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:41 pm I'm quite sure you can still order the old style tuk-tuks on some of the apps. I did it not so long ago when I had a puncture on my bike while far away from home and knew it wouldn't fit in one of the small white ones. Can't remember which company I used though.
Yes they are offered on most of the apps, like I said in my comment, but rarely are any actually available as many of the drivers of the old style tuk tuks are not signed up to the rideshare app companies.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

I haven't caught up with modern technology so am still using the App where you stand on the side of the road and stare at the tuk-tuk you want with one finger up in the air. It's eco friendly and always works.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic