Post by Doc67 »

Any suggestions?

I used McAfee on the last one but open to suggestions
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Good anti virus software

Post by xandreu »

Assuming you mean for a Windows PC, I'm currently using Mac but I did use Windows for many years, and for much of that time I used BitDefender, which I never had a problem with, and it often comes out top or near the top of most secure anti-malware software.

However, another piece of anti-malware that has also been creeping up the list, and often gets overlooked, is Microsoft's own security - Defender. I stopped using BitDefender when my subscription ran out and just relied on the built in software. I used it for a couple of years before switching to Mac and didn't have any issues with it.

I think for the average user it's more than adequate now. It never used to be and got a lot of appalling reviews, which is why it still gets overlooked today, but by all accounts, it's now a pretty robust piece of kit that's capable of offering very good protection. Plus the fact it's free and is already integrated within Windows, my advice would be save your money and stick with that. It's active by default. You don't need to do anything.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:27 pm Assuming you mean for a Windows PC, I'm currently using Mac but I did use Windows for many years, and for much of that time I used BitDefender, which I never had a problem with, and it often comes out top or near the top of most secure anti-malware software.

However, another piece of anti-malware that has also been creeping up the list, and often gets overlooked, is Microsoft's own security - Defender. I stopped using BitDefender when my subscription ran out and just relied on the built in software. I used it for a couple of years before switching to Mac and didn't have any issues with it.

I think for the average user it's more than adequate now. It never used to be and got a lot of appalling reviews, which is why it still gets overlooked today, but by all accounts, it's now a pretty robust piece of kit that's capable of offering very good protection. Plus the fact it's free and is already integrated within Windows, my advice would be save your money and stick with that. It's active by default. You don't need to do anything.
I am on Windows 11 Pro and Defender is all up and running. I checked my McAfee subscription and it is still valid until the end of the year and additional devices are free to add so I just added my new laptop for nothing and am now double protected! I think that's enough for now.

Thanks for your help.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:33 pm
xandreu wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:27 pm Assuming you mean for a Windows PC, I'm currently using Mac but I did use Windows for many years, and for much of that time I used BitDefender, which I never had a problem with, and it often comes out top or near the top of most secure anti-malware software.

I am on Windows 11 Pro and Defender is all up and running. I checked my McAfee subscription and it is still valid until the end of the year and additional devices are free to add so I just added my new laptop for nothing and am now double protected! I think that's enough for now.

Thanks for your help.
You're welcome, but as soon as you install a different anti-virus, Defender is no longer active, so you're not double protected - having two anti-virus programs running at the same time can mess with your system and cough up lots of false positives, which is why Defender deactivates itself automatically when it detects other anti-virus software.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Astra Zeneca or Pfizzer is supposed to be good ;)
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Just use the one that comes with windows. Don't install McAfee, no need when you already have one. Plus you can avoid all of those annoying popups coming as McAfee is in its final few months of the subscription. Also, make sure you don't have auto-renew on it.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:36 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:33 pm

Thanks for your help.
You're welcome, but as soon as you install a different anti-virus, Defender is no longer active, so you're not double protected - having two anti-virus programs running at the same time can mess with your system and cough up lots of false positives, which is why Defender deactivates itself automatically when it detects other anti-virus software.
Hmm ok, that changes things a bit. The app and browser control seems to be off.

On another matter, I am struggling to do a basic screenshot, WIN+PrtSCR doesn't work. I have a feeling that the printscreen button doesn't work. Any sure way to test this key on it own?

Edit: I can do a screenshot via WIN+SHIFT+C , so I know the WIN key works.

Second Edit:

I found an online keyboard checker, the Insert/PrtScr key does register but only as the Insert key. It doesn't seem to work when combines with the WIN key.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Doc67 on Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Never had it, years ago was going to but didn't understand why I needed to switch off all apps before downloading something, didn't that defeat the purpose, anyway never have a problem.I just don't do updates.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Haven't used antivirus for around 8 years; a decent firewall and a script blocker is a more effective combination than any AV software imo

However, if you are not used to it the script blocker can be a pita - so on my missus' and kids computers I use avast free antivirus and never saw them have an issue
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:12 pm On another matter, I am struggling to do a basic screenshot, WIN+PrtSCR doesn't work. I have a feeling that the printscreen button doesn't work. Any sure way to test this key on it own?

Edit: I can do a screenshot via WIN+SHIFT+C , so I know the WIN key works.
Not sure what you're using there, but on mine I just hit PrtScn. No need for WIN+
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic