Breakdown for those thinking of moving to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Time on m hand, couldn't sleep
Always new comers ask
"how much do I need to live in Cambodia" :beer1:

So here ya go, MY estimate, ( i live on more but there two of us)

other feel free to add anything i have missed.

did a breakdown

Room at Hometown hotel (air con, wifi, cable, hot water, great location on street 172). $300/month fan $200

food;
breakfast $2.50-3.00 (American or Chicken soup an rice with ice coffee_
lunch Sorya food court , lots of choices Rice dishes/ soup $2.50-3.00
Dinner $5-6 ( pizza, Chicken curry with rice, drink, Amok and....)
Fruit drink during day $1
water $1 ( 4 bottles) u need this!!! if not more
total/day $12- $14 x30 $360- $420 This is basic but enough

Visa $24/month
Phone $5
Laundry $20
Misc $50

Two nights out /week/month alone $80
With a lady company for ST- 8x/month $240

So alone $815- $875 with air $775 with Fan ( renting an apt MIGHT be cheaper but than u need pay for ur internet, cable, trash, electric, air, furniture and eating out alone is as cheap as eating at home)
with company $1, 055- $1,115

This is never taking a tuk tuk/ moto anywhere, going nowhere unless you walk, buying NOTHING, Saving nothing, praying you don't get sick
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Breakdown for those thinking of moving to Cambodia

Post by Soi Dog »

Aren't most breakfast places getting $4.50 to $5 all-in these days? And you left out tips, if you are so inclined. They can really add-up if you eat most of your meals out. And toiletries. Is $20 enough for laundry? Even in the hot season?
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

I thought this was going to have something to do with people having Mental Breakdowns while they think of moving here...
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

most places on street 172 charge $2.50-3.50
Chicken soup near Kandal market 6,000 riel ice coffee 3-4,000
I only leave left over Riel for tip

i dont sweat that much 55555
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

rent $80. small 2 story house on the river in Ta Khmao (but we pay $0. our landlord has a tile warehouse and we invested $6000. with a return of $100. per month which we let him keep for rent)

food etc $200./mo

I have a vespa scooter for transport

electric bill was just under $50. for our highest

$100. for my needs like smoke, lucky market shopping , gas etc.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

beaker wrote:rent $80. small 2 story house on the river in Ta Khmao (but we pay $0. our landlord has a tile warehouse and we invested $6000. with a return of $100. per month which we let him keep for rent)

food etc $200./mo

NO visa, no phone, no internet, no tv ( cable) , no weed :plus1: , no vacations, no eating out at all, no drinking ( living out there u must do lots of that)

NO FUN
etc etc

Yes i am sure its possible but.....
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

phuketrichard wrote:Time on m hand, couldn't sleep
Always new comers ask
"how much do I need to live in Cambodia" :beer1:

So here ya go, MY estimate, ( i live on more but there two of us)

other feel free to add anything i have missed.

did a breakdown

Room at Hometown hotel (air con, wifi, cable, hot water, great location on street 172). $300/month fan $200

food;
breakfast $2.50-3.00 (American or Chicken soup an rice with ice coffee_
lunch Sorya food court , lots of choices Rice dishes/ soup $2.50-3.00
Dinner $5-6 ( pizza, Chicken curry with rice, drink, Amok and....)
Fruit drink during day $1
water $1 ( 4 bottles) u need this!!! if not more
total/day $12- $14 x30 $360- $420 This is basic but enough

Visa $24/month
Phone $5
Laundry $20
Misc $50

Two nights out /week/month alone $80
With a lady company for ST- 8x/month $240

So alone $815- $875 with air $775 with Fan ( renting an apt MIGHT be cheaper but than u need pay for ur internet, cable, trash, electric, air, furniture and eating out alone is as cheap as eating at home)
with company $1, 055- $1,115

This is never taking a tuk tuk/ moto anywhere, going nowhere unless you walk, buying NOTHING, Saving nothing, praying you don't get sick

Meh -- PP is different than the rest of Cambodia --- but for me in PP:

$400 per month --- nice, conveniently located one bedroom flat -- covers Rent, all utilities, opennet, TV and laundry (I do my own in Apartment)

Food: Average $8 a day --- (yes it is a bit cheaper to eat at home if you are happy to eat simple) x 30 = $240

Visa -- yea --- 290/12 = $24 per month

Treat myself once a week to a decent steak and a few Jokra Mooeys ... maybe $150 per month

Companionship --- no need to pay unless you insist on variety --- I guess any "vice" is at your discretion as to how often you indulge.

Transport: Depends on if you commute to work every day or something ---- but for me about $50 per month and I do Tuk Tuks ---- I have seen too many moto crashes here. I admit I do walk a lot (I need the exercise)

Beer Money etc: Maybe $50 per month

Miscellaneous HH items/phone cards etc $50 a month.

I get by on US$1,000k in comfort -- but stretching a bit and staying home a lot --- @ US$1,200 it's outright easy
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

phuketrichard wrote:
I think hotels are the way to go. No companies or bills to take care of. Back up if you aren't feeling well. Security.

How much are places with an elevator?
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

phuketrichard wrote:
beaker wrote:rent $80. small 2 story house on the river in Ta Khmao (but we pay $0. our landlord has a tile warehouse and we invested $6000. with a return of $100. per month which we let him keep for rent)

food etc $200./mo

NO visa, no phone, no internet, no tv ( cable) , no weed :plus1: , no vacations, no eating out at all, no drinking ( living out there u must do lots of that)

NO FUN
etc etc

Yes i am sure its possible but.....
Yes I get my visas I use our savings s for that one.

Phone is a chinese iphone 5c copy with android cheap but does all i need, internet cellcard $10/mo , cable is free with rent, I feel like I'm alway on vacation I'm retired we go to kompongg Som and Thom also,I can cook most things cheaper at home. I always have smoke and only have an occasional cider when we have visitors These are the things that are paid for with my $100/mo spending $
Ta Khmao is just south of PP which starts about 50 m from home so not that far.
Last edited by beaker on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Apartment - $330 month 2 bedroom
Utilities, internet, TV- My guess is $70 month at the new place
Food at home - $25-$40 per week cooked lunch and dinner at home 4-5 times a week ($160/month)
Cola at home - buy Supercheap case $7 lasts 2 weeks ($14/month)
Entertainment - nice dinners & drinking out. I need to track this but I guess $500 monthly
Tuk tuks - $40 monthly mostly on weekends. No drink driving or late night driving for me.

Now to think about what is missing and edit later.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic