Recycling a deceased’s ID

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Recycling a deceased’s ID

Post by Freightdog »

bolueeleh wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:56 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:39 pm She’s in her early 20’s, has no surviving immediate blood relatives, and has no ID, birth certificate, or anything else.
recently i helped an orphan who grew up in a pagoda, he was from another province, he wondered into SHV, my staff pick him up and i offered him a job, he has no name even, only the nickname given to him by the monks in the pagoda, long story short, i helped him get his ID card, family book with some tea money, it is easier that way.
With whom was that arranged? Sangkat, or via the monks? Tea money is not a problem- which helpful agency to approach is the unknown.

Ps. Long time, no see. 2 ½ years!
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:07 pm Tea money is not a problem- which helpful agency to approach is the unknown.
in my case, start with written and thumbprint statements from monks and village leader, after that proceed to sangkat and work up the buffet line, also he was 17, so in ur case she is only 7, so shld be easier, IDs, family book n residence certificate now a days r relatively easy, birth certificate is the hardest one
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:39 pm
I was party to a discussion this evening regarding a younger family member. She’s in her early 20’s, has no surviving immediate blood relatives, and has no ID, birth certificate, or anything else.
An idea being promoted, sufficiently common enough here to not raise any concern, is for her to assume the identity of another person who died recently.

Maybe I'm missing something, but in that case, would she not then become officially dead? :chin:

What would be the benefit of doing this?

Being able to claim a resurrection took place?

:unknown:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

sigmoid wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:30 am
Freightdog wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:39 pm
I was party to a discussion this evening regarding a younger family member. She’s in her early 20’s, has no surviving immediate blood relatives, and has no ID, birth certificate, or anything else.
An idea being promoted, sufficiently common enough here to not raise any concern, is for her to assume the identity of another person who died recently.

Maybe I'm missing something, but in that case, would she not then become officially dead? :chin:

What would be the benefit of doing this?
Well, this is my point to the rest of the family. The need for an ID is for jobs- Apparently, some places have been asking for an ID- no ID, no job. Very loosely the same as younger sibling borrowing older legal age sibling’s driving licence, or whatever, to get a drink in places where such behaviour might occur.
The jobs pay cash in hand.

The deceased girl simply slipped through the cracks a few months ago. I’ve no idea who has been officially informed about what. Either way, what has been suggested may seem like an easy solution, but could create all sorts of issues later. I think I’ve convinced them to take another look at the problem.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

bolueeleh wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:42 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:07 pm Tea money is not a problem- which helpful agency to approach is the unknown.
in my case, start with written and thumbprint statements from monks and village leader, after that proceed to sangkat and work up the buffet line, also he was 17, so in ur case she is only 7, so shld be easier, IDs, family book n residence certificate now a days r relatively easy, birth certificate is the hardest one
She isn’t 7. Re-read - would age 7 years if took on identity of specific deceased person
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Fortunately, my response - “Don’t be so bloody stupid”, seems to have been taken on board.

There’s a matriarchal-type sister-in-law of mine involved in this harebrained idea. Too much rice wine, I’m guessing. She does come up with some bizarre crap. It’s entertaining, I’ll give them that.

That said, I would hope that there might be a more robust government process that didn’t involve the Sangkat making too many decisions. The Sangkat folks in question have a tendency to not show up, and generally don’t seem to do much of anything when they do, except attend weddings and partake of the free booze and food.
I’m sure that as some of these folks from the former floating villages get displaced to the drier lands, there’ll be more undocumented souls.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 pm
somebody, recently wrote: I’m sure there must be a better way around the issue, but would welcome knowledgeable input about what better procedures may exist.
She has no official ID, as it would appear applies to quite a lot of people in the province.
dont ya need be on a house paper before you can get an id issued?
So a visit to where she might have been born> if that cant be done a visit to the local Sangket where she was raised an people who will verify her parents existence and a date around when she was born could be established, bakshish at all levels
With the Birth certificate issued, placed on the house paper/book
with that, an id can be issued.

thats how it worked in Thailand when my friend did it for 2 kids that he adopted with his wife, that were stateless with no records

Makes ya wonder what the true population of Cambodia is
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:39 pm I was party to a discussion this evening regarding a younger family member. She’s in her early 20’s, has no surviving immediate blood relatives, and has no ID, birth certificate, or anything else.
The fact she doesn't have a birth certificate doesn't mean the birth has not been recorded. If she's in her early twenties it's hard to believe it was never issued / recorded. The government has been pretty well on top of this over two decades, and a large nationwide, NGO funded campaign has been organized at least once in her live where collecting a birth certificate / retroactively recording birth was relatively easy and free of charge.

If it was recorded it's relatively easy to solve.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:28 am The fact she doesn't have a birth certificate doesn't mean the birth has not been recorded.
….
Cheers. That’s positive info.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:34 am
Kammekor wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:28 am The fact she doesn't have a birth certificate doesn't mean the birth has not been recorded.
….
Cheers. That’s positive info.
I forgot where the info the sangkat sent to Phnom Penh ends up, and where the search can start, but I'm sure @PSD-Kiwi can come up with the name of the place.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic