Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Alex »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:35 pm
Alex wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:32 pm I reentered Thailand on Wednesday and wasn't even asked to show my Thailand Pass. Looks like they got tired of checking even before getting rid of it officially. Still, it makes a nice little Covid souvenir, now that it will soon be gone.
fly in or land border?

whats great about dropping the thai pass, is the requirement to have insurance is a thing of the past as well!
Land border. Flying in, I'd guess at least the airline would still check your Thailand Pass before allowing you to board.

Great news regarding insurance, yes. Not for me personally, as I work in Thailand and could use my social security details for the Thailand Pass, but I know quite some people who postponed a trip because they couldn't (or wouldn't, as it were) get insurance.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

May 2022 Tourist arrival figure confirmed :

% v 2019
Jan 133,903 - 3.6%
Feb. 152,904 - 4.2%
Mar 210,836 - 6.1%
Apr. 293,350. - 9.2%
May 521,410 - 19.1%

YTD 1,312,453. - 7.8%
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:00 am May 2022 Tourist arrival figure confirmed :

% v 2019
Jan 133,903 - 3.6%
Feb. 152,904 - 4.2%
Mar 210,836 - 6.1%
Apr. 293,350. - 9.2%
May 521,410 - 19.1%

YTD 1,312,453. - 7.8%
An impressive number in May, and the half-million may very well be true.

When I returned to Bangkok from Vietnam in mid-May, the VietJet flight was nearly full.

People pushing/pulling roller bags and youngsters hauling around huge backpacks have suddenly reappeared on the BTS and in the Bangkok streets the last 2-3 weeks. Utterly empty tourist bars/restaurants on Sukhumvit are suddenly (moderately) busy. BTS carriages are also filling up in the middle of the day and are nearly packed at rush hour.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

With effect 1st July

Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:33 am An impressive number in May, and the half-million may very well be true.

When I returned to Bangkok from Vietnam in mid-May, the VietJet flight was nearly full.

People pushing/pulling roller bags and youngsters hauling around huge backpacks have suddenly reappeared on the BTS and in the Bangkok streets the last 2-3 weeks. Utterly empty tourist bars/restaurants on Sukhumvit are suddenly (moderately) busy. BTS carriages are also filling up in the middle of the day and are nearly packed at rush hour.
Based on the YTD number I saw quoted in the Nation up to June 22nd it's looking like June should increase again to around the 800k mark, not a bad rising rate of recovery considering the absence of the Chinese.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bet they hit 7 million + by years end

The Thai government ( TAT) revealed information about Thailand tourism in the first half of the year 2022.
There were 2,124,326 visitors entering Thailand from January to June, and the 5 countries with the most people traveling to Thailand are as follows:
1. India, 234,206 people; ( families an single guys which seem to get their gold necklaces quite often stolen in Pattaya :-) )
2. Malaysia, 196,764 people;
3. Singapore, 127,371 people;
4. United Kingdom, 125,284 people;
5. United States of America, 107,544 people;

And on 1 July 2022, the first day the Thailand Pass was discontinued, 41,823 visitors traveled to Thailand that day.
This is arrivals not necessary tourist or non thai's
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:34 pm Bet they hit 7 million + by years end

The Thai government ( TAT) revealed information about Thailand tourism in the first half of the year 2022.
There were 2,124,326 visitors entering Thailand from January to June, and the 5 countries with the most people traveling to Thailand are as follows:
1. India, 234,206 people; ( families an single guys which seem to get their gold necklaces quite often stolen in Pattaya :-) )
2. Malaysia, 196,764 people;
3. Singapore, 127,371 people;
4. United Kingdom, 125,284 people;
5. United States of America, 107,544 people;

And on 1 July 2022, the first day the Thailand Pass was discontinued, 41,823 visitors traveled to Thailand that day.
This is arrivals not necessary tourist or non thai's
The Ministry of Sports and Tourism announced yesterday they are forecasting 9.3 million based on June actual information and their expectations for July-December. Could be achievable as that year to date June figure translates to 812k for June, up from 521k in May. Malaysians should help fuel the growth as they are traditionally the second biggest tourist market to Thailand, no restrictions on them now. Indians certainly getting Pattaya moving.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-as ... e-tourists

'Sell premium': Thailand discourages discounts, wants high-value tourists

Thailand has received about two million foreign visitors in the first six months of this year. PHOTO: AFP
Published 3 Hours Ago

BANGKOK (REUTERS) - Thailand's hotels, businesses and private hospitals should refrain from offering big discounts to lure tourists and focus instead on raising the country's value as a premium travel destination, government ministers said on Monday (July 4).

Thailand has received about two million foreign visitors in the first six months of this year, a steady revival after its tourism industry almost collapsed due to the pandemic and more than 18 months of complex and costly entry requirements.

"We cannot let people come to Thailand and say because it's cheap," Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said at an event at Bangkok's main international airport to promote tourism.

"Instead they should say, 'because it works, it's reasonable', that's where we can increase value," he said, echoing remarks by the country's tourism minister.

Mr Anutin likened the approach to that of luxury fashion brand Louis Vuitton.

"Hold your ground. Sell premium. The more expensive, the more customers," he said. "Otherwise Louis Vuitton wouldn't have any sales."

One of Asia's most popular travel destinations, Thailand welcomed a record of nearly 40 million visitors in pre-pandemic 2019, who spent 1.91 trillion baht (S$74.70 billion), equivalent to 11 per cent of gross domestic product.

Arrivals slumped to 6.7 million the following year, and down to 428,000 in 2021, despite calibrated moves to end quarantine requirements.

It is forecasting 10 million foreign arrivals in 2022.

Earlier this year, Thailand launched a long-term visa programme for wealthy foreigners and skilled workers, sticking to its plan to lure high-spending visitors, despite major job and business losses in tourism during the pandemic.

Yong's personal comment - This Mr Anutin guy seemed to be bloody high on marijuana
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

yong wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:53 pm https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-as ... e-tourists

'Sell premium': Thailand discourages discounts, wants high-value tourists

Thailand has received about two million foreign visitors in the first six months of this year. PHOTO: AFP
Published 3 Hours Ago

BANGKOK (REUTERS) - Thailand's hotels, businesses and private hospitals should refrain from offering big discounts to lure tourists and focus instead on raising the country's value as a premium travel destination, government ministers said on Monday (July 4).

Thailand has received about two million foreign visitors in the first six months of this year, a steady revival after its tourism industry almost collapsed due to the pandemic and more than 18 months of complex and costly entry requirements.

"We cannot let people come to Thailand and say because it's cheap," Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said at an event at Bangkok's main international airport to promote tourism.

"Instead they should say, 'because it works, it's reasonable', that's where we can increase value," he said, echoing remarks by the country's tourism minister.

Mr Anutin likened the approach to that of luxury fashion brand Louis Vuitton.

"Hold your ground. Sell premium. The more expensive, the more customers," he said. "Otherwise Louis Vuitton wouldn't have any sales."

One of Asia's most popular travel destinations, Thailand welcomed a record of nearly 40 million visitors in pre-pandemic 2019, who spent 1.91 trillion baht (S$74.70 billion), equivalent to 11 per cent of gross domestic product.

Arrivals slumped to 6.7 million the following year, and down to 428,000 in 2021, despite calibrated moves to end quarantine requirements.

It is forecasting 10 million foreign arrivals in 2022.

Earlier this year, Thailand launched a long-term visa programme for wealthy foreigners and skilled workers, sticking to its plan to lure high-spending visitors, despite major job and business losses in tourism during the pandemic.

Yong's personal comment - This Mr Anutin guy seemed to be bloody high on marijuana
If this guy ever becomes Prime Minister I think I'd have to relocate elsewhere.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Just did some research on that long term residency visa. Looks like I’ll be about $15k a year short from qualifying without having to invest $250k in bonds, which ain’t happening.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic