Car Mechanic Specializing in Transmission Issues

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Car Mechanic Specializing in Transmission Issues

Post by Soyoung123 »

Hi -

Does anyone have a recommendation for a car mechanic in PP specialization in electrical and transmission issues.

Car is struggling to shift gears. Only 90,000km on the Engine so not sure what is going on. It was fixed once but problem has returned and current mechanic does not know what to do as he doesn’t usually work on Korean Cars (old Rexton).

Any assistance appreciated. Would prefer to pay for quality service.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Car Mechanic Specializing in Transmission Issues

Post by SlowJoe »

When I had my BMW, Eam Seth garage did good work to keep it going and repaired properly. Same for our Merc S320.

I know they're both German cars, but he does work on Korean vehicles too (I saw many at his shop over the years).
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’ve had discussions with folks who religiously do engine oil and filter changes, but run into transmission issues. The usual response to such things is that the owners manual says sealed for life, or something similar, or that there’s no service requirement for gear oil.

I’ve got 3 automatic transmission cars from the early 90s, and each one as well as being over 30years old, has had transmission irregularities. And each was resolved with a proper transmission oil change, along with the filter. Circa 100,000 miles, transmission shifting errors, sluggish changes. When the oils is dropped, it’s a thick brown colour, and moves more like cold syrup, whereas fresh transmission fluid is often cherry red, clear, and flows freely.
There’s a lot of mechanics who don’t understand this, as well.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^^ Anecdotal, but I used to have an old 80's Ford with an "infamous" transmission (AXOD code name) known for failing around 50k miles. My car had 230k miles on the original trans, owner did a full fluid exchange every 30k miles.

As for your vehicle, I would try (if the garage knows what it is) a drain and fill of the transmission oil/transmission fluid (same thing). I don't know which gearbox yours has, so I can't recommend the type of fluid for a Ssangyong, I only know that 90's Hyundais use "Dexron II or Dexron III" (both work fine). I would assume an SUV like the Rexton would take 4-6 litres per change.

If the shifting improves noticeably, change it again soon, and you should be good for a while after that. If there is no change after the fluid exchange, then it likely has a valve body issue which probably means you need to get the transmission replaced (if you can find one to replace it with) because automatic transmissions for Ssangyongs are extremely rare here (manual transmissions are everywhere).
-insert signature here
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Eam Seth garage
have you got details on his location ? web site perchance or facebook even ?
I have a jag with a transmission problem he might be the man.
Cheers
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

I just copied this from Google.

#253D, Street 460, Sangkat 1, 12310

I don't have Facebook, but this is the guy from his picture. Don't know how current the phone numbers are.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2 ... 2614226031
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

Thank you all. Appreciate it.

It’s a ssangyong rexton 270 xdi. Year is 2006.

That is interesting about transmission fluid. I was under the impression that is sealed and you don’t touch it. Although I do recall it being an (expensive) option at the chain oil change place back home.

Worked completely fine today. Very strange. But I’ll bring it to the garage mentioned.

Thanks again everyone. Very kind of you.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Google.
#253D, Street 460, Sangkat 1, 12310
Cheers
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

Soyoung123 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:09 pm That is interesting about transmission fluid. I was under the impression that is sealed and you don’t touch it.
https://zinref.ru/avtomobili/SsangYong/ ... sh/000.htm

Not sure whether it covers your model, but this service manual (part 8,) states on automatic transmission oil:

Inspect at every 30,000 km or 1 year, replace if necessary (replace at every 60,000 km if the vehicle is operated under severe conditions)
More frequent maintenance is required if the vehicle is operated under severe condition.
- Driving in unpaved road
- Towing a trailer

Automatic transmission fluid: 4-speed: 9.5 L, CASTROL TQ 95 and 5-speed: 8.0 L SHELL or FUCHS ATF 3353 (lubrication chart)
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Flexxman wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:55 pm Automatic transmission fluid: 4-speed: 9.5 L, CASTROL TQ 95 and 5-speed: 8.0 L SHELL or FUCHS ATF 3353 (lubrication chart)
That would be DEXRON III then, which is what they sell here everywhere for automatic Hyundais. Any shop will have it, and it's relatively inexpensive too $5-6 a litre I believe at most.

It wont take 8 or 9 litres though if they drain it and fill it. Probably 4-6 litres as mentioned, because the rest of the fluid will be throughout the transmission and wont come out.
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic