No more articles from The Times

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: No more articles from The Times

Post by Freightdog »

There’s an element of ‘his train set, he can do as he likes’ when it comes to rationalising forum use. We don’t subscribe financially to its upkeep, and membership is free to whosoever wishes to engage.
So, as irritating as the frequent advertising from Rosco is, the simple expedient is to ignore. I have duly added him to that elite group. It’s sad, though, that their target audience are deemed unworthy of a response to comments made. But there are sufficient other establishments around Phnom Penh in which to eat a good nosh, as it were.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:44 am FYI, several members have questioned the relevance of the Times articles I have posted to this Rest of the World section (Love Island, Asil Nadir, Heavy drinkers more healthy, Johnny Depp, Rebekkah Vardy etc). And the Mods are lukewarm.
It takes a bit of time to copy and paste and clean them up and I'm running the risk of getting my subscription to The Times getting cancelled, so I won't do any more.
What makes you think that the Mods are lukewarm?
Was there any particular Mod that said you shouldn't post Times articles?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:12 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:44 am FYI, several members have questioned the relevance of the Times articles I have posted to this Rest of the World section (Love Island, Asil Nadir, Heavy drinkers more healthy, Johnny Depp, Rebekkah Vardy etc). And the Mods are lukewarm.
It takes a bit of time to copy and paste and clean them up and I'm running the risk of getting my subscription to The Times getting cancelled, so I won't do any more.
as i recall our illustrious leader told us, "its our forum"
post what you desire
if someone can post DAILY worthless specials on the 2 restaurants he works for. Why cant you post?

Go for it :beer3:
It IS your forum. Feel free to post whatever you want so long as it bears some relevance to Cambodian expats.
(American politics gets a bit boring after awhile, but it does have some entertainment value).
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Oumedc wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:55 am
post what you desire
if someone can post DAILY worthless specials on the 2 restaurants he works for. Why cant you post?

Very interesting I was wondering why these places have so much leeway on the bourd it does not seem like paid advertiment to support the CEO but more like a few that may get perks from these places
I don't work in the Marketing Dept, but as I recall Harry's is a paid up advertiser. There are still Harry's banners at the top of random pages.

I'm sure many members would appreciate the daily 'specials' posts as being a service to expats.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:03 pm
What makes you think that the Mods are lukewarm?
Was there any particular Mod that said you shouldn't post Times articles?
Lukewarm is not the same as should not.
Your post on the Love Island thread.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

As someone who has posted hundreds of articles, stories and studies to CEO since its inception, I've learned you are never going to give everyone what they want to read. The truth is, you're actually only ever going to give very few something of interest. But here's the thing; without people contributing to CEO, the forum dies. I'd sooner open CEO to find something than nothing. And if people are complaining they're not happy with the content being provided by others, perhaps those individuals might like to spend an hour or two searching out articles of interest themselves, or perhaps even open a topic for discussion in a thread of their own making.

Be the forum you want.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:04 pm
post what you desire

It IS your forum. Feel free to post whatever you want so long as it bears some relevance to Cambodian expats.
(American politics gets a bit boring after awhile, but it does have some entertainment value).
Until you break unwritten rules :stir:

what about the Thai section?
The asinine section?
rest of the world section?

problem i see over the years is not everyone has the same definition of sarcasm and that is what gets many in trouble
I or another American post something that we mean to be taken sarcastic and someone form the uk, Oz, wherever takes offense and reports the post where an assie or brit mod has the final say

Just having fun, not to be taken serious or ban me for mentioning it :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:29 am
Thank you Roz for your like. I'm pleased this will leave more space for you to promote your CV and gluten-free businesses.
I post a lot more than CVs and gluten free and you know it, you cheeky bugger.
At least the stuff I post is relevant to our life in Cambodia including the live music scene, restaurants and newsy titbits I find.

I just don't see how the subject of vagina hair shaving is relevant on this forum.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:13 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:29 am
Thank you Roz for your like. I'm pleased this will leave more space for you to promote your CV and gluten-free businesses.
I post a lot more than CVs and gluten free and you know it, you cheeky bugger.
At least the stuff I post is relevant to our life in Cambodia including the live music scene, restaurants and newsy titbits I find.

I just don't see how the subject of vagina hair shaving is relevant on this forum.
I never said you didn't Roz. We all appreciate your input.

It may or may not be relevant to the forum but it has had 950 views and the thread runs to 4 pages.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Actually what interested me about the Love Island article was the point about cosmetic surgery, the media and self-loathing.

Cosmetic surgery is a rapidly growing thing in Cambodia atm.

I cannot comment on bush-shaving. Lack of research data.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic