Uvalde Texas Mass Shooting

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Uvalde Texas Mass Shooting

Post by Big Daikon »

Well, he was clearly not right in the head. Maybe suicide by cop, but this scenario seems overly complicated.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Draft age to join (or be forced to join) the military is age 18. I believe being proficient in shooting long guns is a requirement to pass basic training. If the age to have a long gun is raised to 21, then how can an 18 year old recruit be allowed to have one?

Ranking Democrats were asked to raise the military draft age to 21, so that there would be consistency in the law. They refused.

Guns have always been around. The destruction of the mental health system, the toppling of the pillars of society - family, religion, schools, government, have occurred in the last 50 years or so.

PS - it wasn’t that long ago that kids had Red Ryders (BB rifles) for Christmas or birthday presents.

These are just my opinions. Carry on.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:16 am Draft age to join (or be forced to join) the military is age 18. I believe being proficient in shooting long guns is a requirement to pass basic training. If the age to have a long gun is raised to 21, then how can an 18 year old recruit be allowed to have one?

Ranking Democrats were asked to raise the military draft age to 21, so that there would be consistency in the law. They refused.

Guns have always been around. The destruction of the mental health system, the toppling of the pillars of society - family, religion, schools, government, have occurred in the last 50 years or so.

PS - it wasn’t that long ago that kids had Red Ryders (BB rifles) for Christmas or birthday presents.

Respect for your opinions but religion as a pillar of society as it relates to violence and death? How many have died?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:16 am Draft age to join (or be forced to join) the military is age 18. I believe being proficient in shooting long guns is a requirement to pass basic training. If the age to have a long gun is raised to 21, then how can an 18 year old recruit be allowed to have one?

There is no "draft" into the military so that argument is mute.

Also "Mental health" is a pathetic way used to excuse people whose actions hurt people or things they say.

I also think the excuses of having a tough upbringing, drug use, alcholism and poor judgement to circumvent taking responsibilty for ones own actions is bullshit.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

You can’t smoke until you’re 21.
You can’t drink until you’re 21.
You can’t purchase a handgun until you’re 21.

When you join the military they don’t “give” you a weapon, it still belongs to the government, you can’t take it home with you. They train you how to use it properly.

The mental card is a cop-out. It is nothing but fear and hate which drives these people to do what they do.

Religion? For a country that promotes freedom of religion it seems that Christianity is the only one that really matters, and the death count due to this religious belief is too astronomical to count.

Some individuals are just throwing excuses out there for this problem instead of accepting the reality for why this problem persists. Until it is addressed properly it’s never going to stop.

Appease the NRA by arming the teachers, that will solve the problem, and line their pockets at the same time. Sad.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Arget wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:30 am

There is no "draft" into the military so that argument is mute.

Also "Mental health" is a pathetic way used to excuse people whose actions hurt people or things they say.

I also think the excuses of having a tough upbringing, drug use, alcholism and poor judgement to circumvent taking responsibilty for ones own actions is bullshit.
The Draft (or enlistment) age argument is not exactly mute, the Democrats are arguing that the legal age for gun ownership should be raised to 21, because at 18 years of age a persons brain is not developed enough for them to be trusted to be responsible with fire arms, yet their 18 year old brains are developed enough for taking up firearms and fighting any battles/wars the government deems necessary.
When challenged on their hypocrisy, their answer was “we need soldiers to fight, so what are we going to do”
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Arget wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:30 am There is no "draft" into the military so that argument is mute.
Ever heard of Selective Service?
https://www.sss.gov/
While there is currently no draft, registration with the Selective Service System is the most publicly visible program during peacetime that ensures operational readiness in a fair and equitable manner. If authorized by the President and Congress, our Agency would rapidly provide personnel to the Department of Defense while at the same time providing an Alternative Service Program for conscientious objectors.

Federal Law requires nearly all-male US citizens and male immigrants, 18 through 25, register with Selective Service.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’m guessing that this is just poorly expressed, as it nearly infers that basic proficiency should be achieved prior to enlistment.

But there’s much more to firearms use than simply pointing the thing and pulling the trigger, which from a number of accidental injury reports would appear to be a major misunderstanding in their use.

Letting little Johnny do whatever the fuck he wants, untrained, is likely to result in little Johnny or one of his friends getting a little hurt.
Even being proficient, but largely self taught, with a gun is not the same as being able to use one effectively from a military perspective. (Which is also one of the pro-guns-for-everyone type arguments)

I’m pretty sure that many modern armies would be able to weed out a fair number of these mass-shooters, as being unsuitable, except maybe in dire need (zombies about to breach the fence, need).
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:16 am Guns have always been around. The destruction of the mental health system, the toppling of the pillars of society - family, religion, schools, government, have occurred in the last 50 years or so.
No, guns have not always been around. I’m guessing though, that random mass-shafting events with active archers are records that haven’t been kept.

As for Religion being a pillar of society, we may need to reassess the proportion of which society’s have which religions, as branches of one prominent religion advocates the decapitation of adherents of at least one or two other prominent religions, along with murdering children for doing such things as getting pregnant, or having an education.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The point is being missed. All these pillars of society bring people into group activities and involvement. People active in church, at school, and elsewhere are unlikely to turn into mass shooters. And if they are having issues, they have support networks and friends to help them. People usually don’t kill their friends.

As to self-trained never as good as military trained, please look up the story of Sargent York. Country boy, made incredible long distance shots. Frightened the Germans into surrendering or least be killed.

Mental illness is real. Do a search on treatments for schizophrenia. Prior to medication, there was NO treatment. There used to be mental asylums and therapists everywhere. Those were cut due to budge priorities and most the patients released out the general public.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic