Plea for Justice Following Woman's Death at Maternity Hospital

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Plea for Justice Following Woman's Death at Maternity Hospital

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): Parents of a woman who died after giving birth at Prek Anchanh Hospital and Maternity have begged Samdech Techo HE to intervene to re-investigate the death. There has been no resolution of their case since they filed a complaint with the Muk Kampul District Inspectorate for more than eight months ago.
Mr. Chheang Pov, 54, and Ms. Sar Phalla, 58, of Kampong Svay village, Svay Ampear commune, Muk Kampoul district, Kandal province, said that their daughter, Chheang Srey Pich, 22, died of infection after undergoing a caesarean section. She had been receiving treatment at Prek Anchanh for 5 days, but her condition suddenly worsened.The parents claim their daughter's death was due to neglect by the maternity ward Prek Anchanh, and that she was infected by lack of hygiene. She was so young to die so soon.

Prek Anchanh Hospital and Maternity Hospital said that the above case happened more than half a year ago and is resolved already. However, the woman's family are calling for a re-investigation of the case to help bring justice to their dead daughter and for her child.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Plea for Justice Following Woman's Death at Maternity Hospital

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Hard to see what sort of investigation could take place after six months; while death following a c-section is rare it's a much higher risk than from a natural birth
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

C Sections seem common here, almost elective. In a country with such poor healthcare and terrible hygiene in hospitals, electing to have major surgery is a risky proposition.

Personally, if I had to push out a kid I would definitely go for the c section - fuck that pushing and wailing - but I wouldn't do it here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

C section rates are also very common in western countries, too! This is despite campaigns and medical societies coming out against them and opting for natural delivery.

Why? Convenience. Baby gets delivered on time. No prolonged labor period. Avoiding chancing the unknown with a vaginal delivery. The medical solution is always C section.

The problem in Cambodia is procedure and post care.

In western countries most problems occur decades later. Attention spans don’t last decades.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

My ex went to a highly respected clinic in Phnom Penh to give birth to my son. They butchered her for a C section. I understand that in certain circumstances a C section is needed. However the cut was about 20 inches wide and the suturing was as bad as I've ever seen. It was almost 15 years ago but the bill was around $2000. Horrible.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:10 pm but the bill was around $2000.
Which is pretty much the point of a C-section in SE Asia.
So yeah, C-sections as much as possible + check out as soon as possible, someone gotta pay for the damn SUV in the Hospital parking lot. Even if the hygiene isn't matching the procedure, most of patients still pay before they get sick or die from the wrong procedure choice / lack of care.

I've seen that quite often in Indonesia, i don't know why it would be different here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:10 pm My ex went to a highly respected clinic in Phnom Penh to give birth to my son. They butchered her for a C section. I understand that in certain circumstances a C section is needed. However the cut was about 20 inches wide and the suturing was as bad as I've ever seen. It was almost 15 years ago but the bill was around $2000. Horrible.
May I ask JB, was she told she needed a C section or offered it as an elective option? Was there any element of coercion or undue pressure?

I am assuming a natural birth costs a lot less than $2000, but maybe I am wrong.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:00 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:10 pm My ex went to a highly respected clinic in Phnom Penh to give birth to my son. They butchered her for a C section. I understand that in certain circumstances a C section is needed. However the cut was about 20 inches wide and the suturing was as bad as I've ever seen. It was almost 15 years ago but the bill was around $2000. Horrible.
May I ask JB, was she told she needed a C section or offered it as an elective option? Was there any element of coercion or undue pressure?

I am assuming a natural birth costs a lot less than $2000, but maybe I am wrong.
I think it was needed for Cephalopelvic disproportion. It was how it was carried out that was the issue.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic