Fortune teller.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Fortune teller.

Post by Anchor Moy »

I hope it won't bring me bad luck if I reveal that many years ago a fortune-teller in Burma predicted a bad motorbike accident for me at the age of 27.
I am still waiting - maybe he meant aged 72 ?
:shrug:

However, my personal astrology reading (yeah well, I was about 20yo) said that I am someone who is exceptionally gifted and special - which was absolutely right, and has now been proved to be 100% correct, which leads me to believe that an astrological prediction done by a stoned hippy in a Brixton pub is more accurate than a fortune-teller in South East Asia. :ugeek:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:09 am I hope it won't bring me bad luck if I reveal that many years ago a fortune-teller in Burma predicted a bad motorbike accident for me at the age of 27.
I am still waiting - maybe he meant aged 72 ?
:shrug:

However, my personal astrology reading (yeah well, I was about 20yo) said that I am someone who is exceptionally gifted and special - which was absolutely right, and has now been proved to be 100% correct, which leads me to believe that an astrological prediction done by a stoned hippy in a Brixton pub is more accurate than a fortune-teller in South East Asia. :ugeek:
How old's your bike?

I trust you have used your powers for good.

I was "with the exception of being gifted and special." Or maybe it was specially grifted. Whatever, I took it as a compliment.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:38 am
SlowJoe wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:34 pm There's a few guys on here who know me in person who also know my ex who can vouch this really happened to me so...I don't know what it's actually about but, someone knew SOMETHING.

Fwiw
Agreed. Someone knew something.

Good trick, though.
Not sure I follow what you're trying to say?
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

SlowJoe wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:34 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:38 am
SlowJoe wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:34 pm There's a few guys on here who know me in person who also know my ex who can vouch this really happened to me so...I don't know what it's actually about but, someone knew SOMETHING.

Fwiw
Agreed. Someone knew something.

Good trick, though.
Not sure I follow what you're trying to say?
It may come as a surprise to some, but nobody can actually perform magic (even that guy 2022 years ago). If it was too amazing to have been a guess, then he was privy to the answers, or he performed a trick like the one I used to do. Hence, "someone knew something" (prior to meeting you); either the answers, or a trick.

You've been grifted.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

^^You're saying I got grifted (for free) by a random fortune teller because a bunch of CEO posters randomly collaborated with them because they knew my partner would leave me?

You've got me confused...but if you're insinuating my friends used the fortune teller as a way to get my attention somehow, they'd just tell me my partner was sneaking around and this was going to happen. Or think of a more clever way to do it because I never believed in ghosts or fortune tellers in the first place...
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Firstly: There are a small number of public fortune tellers to be found opposite Wat Phnom. They use a number of different ways of eliciting your fortune but all of which require a small payment in hard currency.

Secondly: Many years ago, my work took me to Mandalay, in Myanmar, where I was working on gravity flow water systems and I went up the mountain ridge and entered a temple there. Long story short, I was interrogated by a woman who proceeded to tell me my fortune but only after berating me for not knowing the day of the week on which I was born and the time of my birth. But not to put off, out came her well worn almanacs and everything except the timing of my birth was established. Surprisingly, reading between all the predictable comments, she was very close indeed to reality.

OML
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Pretty much every market has at least one sitting inside. Look for a red carpeted table/stall and cards.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The fortune tellers that can actually see people’s futures tend to be silent. They don’t want people to know, they don’t people to see them as freaks. They just want to have an ordinary life and be left alone.

It’s worse than autism.

They card reading, stick reading ‘professional’ ones, different story. All fun.

Kru Khmer and the magic fish, even more so.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic